Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region 2011

Featured Replies

I have to ask do all the kids that go on spring break have there Mom and Dads with them, if not it is one big party, nothing good happens after midnight.

  • Replies 374
  • Views 58.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks LN

I have to ask do all the kids that go on spring break have there Mom and Dads with them, if not it is one big party, nothing good happens after midnight.

 

I can't answer your question because I don't know if all the kids go with their families, but it has to be an extremely large percentage that do so. I've gone with my two sons the last 7 or so years and it was with an extremely large group of families. The Spring Break tradition in FT is not a bunch of kids going off somewhere by themselves. It is a bunch of families going together; usually to Siesta Key or Indian Shores in Florida. A smaller group of families goes to the panhandle area. Last year, a very large group of families with seniors went to Punta Cana. It was a blast and I spent a lot of time with my son. Great memories that I'll forever cherish. This year the group of families going there is even bigger. People have the wrong impression of at least how FT does Spring Break. It's not the bunch of kids going to Panama or Daytona by themselves and getting stupid drunk and wild every day. It's a family event. Almost every day on the beach, it's Dads vs Lads playing beach volleyball. It's cornhole tournaments involving Dads, Moms, Sons and Daughters. It's deep sea fishing trips with the Dads and their Sons. It's group family dinners. It was a huge fishfry at the Surf and Racket Club that brought in the families staying up at Indian Shores and down at Longboat Key. And one of the better things about going to Siesta was Sarasota had a midnight curfew on the beach. So at midnight or shortly thereafter, most of the kids went back to their condos.

 

I'm not so naive to think that no high schooler has ever had a drink down there. But with the kids going home at night to condos with parents present, it's not some drunk filled week of debauchery. At least it wasn't when I've been down there.

Thanks LN

 

Just telling it as it is.

Thanks, then put some of that money together and sent the Baseball team down and have some baseball fun. That will fix it.

Thanks, then put some of that money together and sent the Baseball team down and have some baseball fun. That will fix it.

 

Glad you have a better understanding of the situation now.

 

You are misinformed about the reason the baseball team doesn't go to Florida; it's not money. The school administration simply will not permit it. But if administration changes it's mind and we need to raise money, we'll hit you up for a donation since you are obviously very concerned about Highlands baseball. :D

Thanks, then put some of that money together and sent the Baseball team down and have some baseball fun. That will fix it.

 

Wow....

 

Like the other thread.....Uninformed!!!:rolleyes:

I am I coached Jeremy and if he needs money for the trip I will kick in.

I am I coached Jeremy and if he needs money for the trip I will kick in.

 

Super.

 

Lest you think I don't support or like Jeremy, I believe I was one of the first people he called asking me to support him being hired and asking me to talk to the folks at Highlands that would make the decision. Which I gladly did. Do I think his decision about spring break is wrong for Highlands baseball? You betcha I do, even though I support him, help him whenever he asks, and consider him a friend.

I can't answer your question because I don't know if all the kids go with their families, but it has to be an extremely large percentage that do so. I've gone with my two sons the last 7 or so years and it was with an extremely large group of families. The Spring Break tradition in FT is not a bunch of kids going off somewhere by themselves. It is a bunch of families going together; usually to Siesta Key or Indian Shores in Florida. A smaller group of families goes to the panhandle area. Last year, a very large group of families with seniors went to Punta Cana. It was a blast and I spent a lot of time with my son. Great memories that I'll forever cherish. This year the group of families going there is even bigger. People have the wrong impression of at least how FT does Spring Break. It's not the bunch of kids going to Panama or Daytona by themselves and getting stupid drunk and wild every day. It's a family event. Almost every day on the beach, it's Dads vs Lads playing beach volleyball. It's cornhole tournaments involving Dads, Moms, Sons and Daughters. It's deep sea fishing trips with the Dads and their Sons. It's group family dinners. It was a huge fishfry at the Surf and Racket Club that brought in the families staying up at Indian Shores and down at Longboat Key. And one of the better things about going to Siesta was Sarasota had a midnight curfew on the beach. So at midnight or shortly thereafter, most of the kids went back to their condos.

 

I'm not so naive to think that no high schooler has ever had a drink down there. But with the kids going home at night to condos with parents present, it's not some drunk filled week of debauchery. At least it wasn't when I've been down there.

 

Puke on me, This sounds like something out of the Ward and June Cleaver Vacation Handbook.

I think it is pretty simple. It is not the 1980's anymore. You just can't pick a stick and ball up and play baseball at a high level. There is a lot of specialized training that goes into being a good high school baseball player these days. To say that these football seniors would make a huge difference is comical to me. Most if not all of these kids have not played baseball in a long time. Gold would of definately helped this year. Who else would of been a standout in this group of seniors? Jeremy is not trying to make HHS baseball a rec sport. Why would he take a kid who hasn't played in 2 or 3yrs and wants to go on Spring Break? I guess I am missing something. It seems like the rest of the state gets it and the " Ft.Thomas Spring Breakers" don't..Like I said before in another thread the parents want to go on Spring Break as much if not more than the the kids. Until the parents start to support what Jeremy is trying to do baseball at HHS will not reach it's full potential. I do believe Jeremy has the younger group of kids and parents buying in..JMO

You play the game to win this year; not down the road. And if there are seniors that haven't been on the baseball team in the past that could come out their senior year and help the baseball team this year, it seems rather stupid to have a rule that discourages that from happening in my opinion. What message does it send to the other seniors on the team if you cut a senior who is a better baseball player in order to keep a younger kid on the team in order to increase the team's chances of winning down the road? I know the message: your senior year does not matter to me.

 

So you think the coach should change his rule - a rule that is used by most, if not all, other coaches in the area - to accommodate certain players that choose not to fully commit themselves to the baseball program, some of whom who have never been a part of the program? And you would feel the same way if this applied to a football rule also? And I very much disagree - there are absolutely times you make decisions to help yourself down the road that may not be beneficial immediately.

 

"What message does it send to the other seniors on the team if you cut a senior who is a better baseball player in order to keep a younger kid on the team in order to increase the team's chances of winning down the road?" Probably that the coach is more interested in those seniors who are fully committed to the team and willing to abide by the rules and program established by the coach.

 

Honestly, with all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), there are very clearly two standards at Highlands. The standards and rules set up for the football program somehow seem to be unfair when applied to another sport. I really have a hard time believing you make this post if it is about Highlands football players wishing to skip a week of mandatory football practices/games as established by the head football coach.

I think it is pretty simple. It is not the 1980's anymore. You just can't pick a stick and ball up and play baseball at a high level. There is a lot of specialized training that goes into being a good high school baseball player these days. To say that these football seniors would make a huge difference is comical to me. Most if not all of these kids have not played baseball in a long time. Gold would of definately helped this year. Who else would of been a standout in this group of seniors? Jeremy is not trying to make HHS baseball a rec sport. Why would he take a kid who hasn't played in 2 or 3yrs and wants to go on Spring Break? I guess I am missing something. It seems like the rest of the state gets it and the " Ft.Thomas Spring Breakers" don't..Like I said before in another thread the parents want to go on Spring Break as much if not more than the the kids. Until the parents start to support what Jeremy is trying to do baseball at HHS will not reach it's full potential. I do believe Jeremy has the younger group of kids and parents buying in..JMO

 

Nicely stated. :thumb:

So you think the coach should change his rule - a rule that is used by most, if not all, other coaches in the area - to accommodate certain players that choose not to fully commit themselves to the baseball program, some of whom who have never been a part of the program? And you would feel the same way if this applied to a football rule also? And I very much disagree - there are absolutely times you make decisions to help yourself down the road that may not be beneficial immediately.

 

"What message does it send to the other seniors on the team if you cut a senior who is a better baseball player in order to keep a younger kid on the team in order to increase the team's chances of winning down the road?" Probably that the coach is more interested in those seniors who are fully committed to the team and willing to abide by the rules and program established by the coach.

 

Honestly, with all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), there are very clearly two standards at Highlands. The standards and rules set up for the football program somehow seem to be unfair when applied to another sport. I really have a hard time believing you make this post if it is about Highlands football players wishing to skip a week of mandatory football practices/games as established by the head football coach.

 

Agree Cooperstown! HHS is not the only NKY high school with this rule and I know of several that have had this rule in place for some time now and it's not an issue. If a kid takes baseball seriously, then missing Spring Break to play on his high school team his senior year (or any year for that matter) should not be a difficult choice to make. It's baseball season and it's a CHOICE. If your kid chooses Spring Break over baseball his senior year (or any year in my opinion) then that may be the answer he is looking for as to what is a priority in his life at this time. If your kid truly loves the game of baseball (or any sport), then you would have more of a problem trying to MAKE him go on Spring Break or a vacation. Life is about making difficult decisions and there is no better time than the present to teach kids this lesson before they leave home. If Spring Break fell during football or basketball season, those coaches would have the same rule, I'm sure. Being on a competitive team of any kind is a committment and parents should be the first to encourage this committment.

this is SO BORING..... Can we talk about 9th region baseball and not about spring break and Ft Thomas????

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.