What would happen if a team lost two of their top scores?

For a high school team it is critical........it isn't that easy to replace scoring in HS. In college, you may have a bench player that is coming off a HS career where he scored 18-20 pts. a game and is used to taking 10-15 shots a game and just needs their chance. That is rarely the case in HS. where replacing scoring is more difficult. Unfortunately for Highlands, that seems to be the case annually with this year being no exception. The best you can hope for is that those replacing them gain experience/confidence and jell with the return of the lost starters. I hate seeing HS kids miss their Sr. yr!

A lot depends on the specific team and the team chemistry. If a team has reasonable depth, hopefully other players would step up. Some teams might improve by losing a leading scorer who takes lots of shots, but shoots a low percentage. Losing a point guard who makes the other players better by distributing the ball and capitalizing on his scoring opportunities could be devastating to a team unless they had a pretty good back-up. Losing a point guard that forces shots and doesn't distribute the ball might actually make a team better by allowing players who can shoot get more shots.

I think the main thing you lose is the mental edge. You lose that experience and wherewithal that those leaders give you.

It's no ones fault, but I've seen it multiple times this year with SK. When the leader goes down those young kids sort of get that deer in the headlights look and before you know it a 1 point game is now 10. Usually they rebound, but losing that leader during a game has at times left them lost for a quarter or so.

A lot depends on the specific team and the team chemistry. If a team has reasonable depth, hopefully other players would step up. Some teams might improve by losing a leading scorer who takes lots of shots, but shoots a low percentage. Losing a point guard who makes the other players better by distributing the ball and capitalizing on his scoring opportunities could be devastating to a team unless they had a pretty good back-up. Losing a point guard that forces shots and doesn't distribute the ball might actually make a team better by allowing players who can shoot get more shots.

Great points, I agree.

On a side note, Clark's leading scorer is Corey Rogers, so it would be Rogers and either Zollo or Stenzel, whichever is averaging more.

Stats are very close they are only seperated by a few % points 12.4-14.0 range.

You have to include Daniel in that group too. These 4 players in many games will all be in double figures. Many teams double up on Zollo and Stenzel, that frees up Rogers and Daniel. Rogers was out against Warren Central, they double up on Zollo and Stenzel and Daniel lit them up for 33.

Are we trying to make excuses for them?

So losing two of your top scorers is an EXCUSE for not winning as many games as expected? I think its a valid REASON! Or does it depend on what team it happens to? If it happens to your team it's a reason but if it happens to SK it's an excuse? What a joke! Who from SK thinks they are better than other 8th region people? Sounds like someone didn't get their nap today!

I agree with you Sports Guy. Any team that loses its top 2 players is going to struggle against good teams. I just know that the Simon Kenton faithful never seem to concerned about schools that they play. I have always thought they think they are better than anyone in the 8th and i don't mean talent wise.

I think you are painting with a roller on this one.

What would happen if your team lost two of their top scores? I am not talking due to graduation either.

What if Scott lost Smith and Haynes? Dixie without Hatton and Pike? GRC without Stenzel and Zollo? Ashland without Delaney and Gregg? J-town without Kimbro and Price?

Of course these teams would not be nearly as good as they would if these players were not out.

Take Simon Kenton this year, they lost Gray, and Chambers hasn't been plagued by injuries, of course they will not be the same team without them.

Man I knew I shouldn't have posted in this thread...you jinxed us..:D Zollo went down last night and now is on crutches and a boot.