What would happen if a team lost two of their top scores?

What would happen if your team lost two of their top scores? I am not talking due to graduation either.

What if Scott lost Smith and Haynes? Dixie without Hatton and Pike? GRC without Stenzel and Zollo? Ashland without Delaney and Gregg? J-town without Kimbro and Price?

Of course these teams would not be nearly as good as they would if these players were not out.

Take Simon Kenton this year, they lost Gray, and Chambers hasn't been plagued by injuries, of course they will not be the same team without them.

Are we trying to make excuses for them?
No, Not at all. There are threads about coaching, but it goes much deeper than that. A W is a W and an L is an L. People have been talking about Pike from Dixie concerning if he will miss the first football game next year, if he does miss Vs a good team, they will hurt, in basketball missing your top players will hurt even more as you have less players. Just saying.

But, take your top two scores away from any team, and what happens?

You lose. A lot. Simple. In the case of SK, they have three scorers (with Sampson) and he can't get enough shots up to beat quality opponents by himself. You need some others to step up. Against Mason, the starting 3, 4 and 5 combined for 6 points- per the box score. I'd have to say you'd see similar results at the majority of schools across the state.

Edited by NKY Bandit

I agree with you Sports Guy. Any team that loses its top 2 players is going to struggle against good teams. I just know that the Simon Kenton faithful never seem to concerned about schools that they play. I have always thought they think they are better than anyone in the 8th and i don't mean talent wise.

I know it has affected Highlands this season. Jack Stewart is a definite 18/10 player and would probably have had 5-7 games where he scored more than 20 if he wasnt on the shelf. He can score and in the limited 7 games he has played I know he has avg like 17 a game playing with the injury. Crowley the other top scorer for the Birds was out a few games early in the year as well with Stewart and that hurt them severely, especially when they played Dixie.

You have to play through the injuries though and hopefully when the injured players return the other guys that got the minutes are that much better.

I know it has affected Highlands this season. Jack Stewart is a definite 18/10 player and would probably have had 5-7 games where he scored more than 20 if he wasnt on the shelf. He can score and in the limited 7 games he has played I know he has avg like 17 a game playing with the injury. Crowley the other top scorer for the Birds was out a few games early in the year as well with Stewart and that hurt them severely, especially when they played Dixie.

You have to play through the injuries though and hopefully when the injured players return the other guys that got the minutes are that much better.

Losing Stewart is huge for Highlands. After seeing him this summer I thought he was a legit top 5 player in Northern Kentucky and a candidate for player of the year. He was going to be the focal point for Highlands and I thought would put up huge numbers.

When will Stewart be back for Highlands?

What would happen if your team lost two of their top scores? I am not talking due to graduation either.

What if Scott lost Smith and Haynes? Dixie without Hatton and Pike? GRC without Stenzel and Zollo? Ashland without Delaney and Gregg? J-town without Kimbro and Price?

Of course these teams would not be nearly as good as they would if these players were not out.

Take Simon Kenton this year, they lost Gray, and Chambers hasn't been plagued by injuries, of course they will not be the same team without them.

I think we have already seen what happens to J-Town without Kimbro and Price, someone correct me if I am wrong about that, but point well taken, SportsGuy.

I know it has affected Highlands this season. Jack Stewart is a definite 18/10 player and would probably have had 5-7 games where he scored more than 20 if he wasnt on the shelf.

I forgot about Stewart and Highlands, as I was thinking of too many schools/players. But yes, Highlands misses him in the line-up, sad thing is he is a Sr.

On a side note, Clark's leading scorer is Corey Rogers, so it would be Rogers and either Zollo or Stenzel, whichever is averaging more.

I forgot about Stewart and Highlands, as I was thinking of too many schools/players. But yes, Highlands misses him in the line-up, sad thing is he is a Sr.

He really gives the Birds that inside presence which in turn frees up Crowley and Egan on the Perimeter. Without him in the lineup it allows teams to focus their defense on those two and make them really have to work for shots. Crowley does a good job of creating his own shot but he really has had to work for every point he has scored this season and Egan is more of a spot up shooter so he has not had as many looks.

i think if you took Geisler or Thelen out of their lineup they also would struggle to score 50 points a game, much like Highlands is doing right now.

On a side note, Clark's leading scorer is Corey Rogers, so it would be Rogers and either Zollo or Stenzel, whichever is averaging more.

Usually the highest scores is the player that get's fed the ball and takes the most shots. Example in last nights game , Rogers took 18 shots, Zollo took 9 shots and Stenzel took 7 shots. He should be the leading scorer.

You must be careful discussing the fact that you have a couple of your top players out if you lose. In another thread that was referred to as just making excuses for a loss. If you have a strong bench, 8 or so deep, you may not miss them as much as a team that doesn't have much of a bench. You can't replace your top two scorers. Someone else has to step up and up their game.

You must be careful discussing the fact that you have a couple of your top players out if you lose. In another thread that was referred to as just making excuses for a loss. If you have a strong bench, 8 or so deep, you may not miss them as much as a team that doesn't have much of a bench. You can't replace your top two scorers. Someone else has to step up and up their game.

I agree!