Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Calipari Uncensored

Featured Replies

:thumb:

 

It's way too utopian of a viewpoint for the real world to think curse words aren't a part of the majority of people's everyday language.

 

I don't think it's utopian. I don't encounter curse words as a majority of everday language either that I speak or is spoken to me. I don't think I want to live in your world.

  • Replies 187
  • Views 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serious question - do you think the views are greatly influenced by gender? I do.

 

 

No. I don't think it's gender.

Wondering how many here wouldn't have a problem with thier boss calling them a MFer?

 

If I denied his first few attempts to influence me to do my job correctly...

Wondering how many here wouldn't have a problem with thier boss calling them a MFer?

 

To qualify this question, if I repeatedly ignore his request to do something a certain way, or do the exact opposite of what he's requested. I'd be lucky to get off with just an MFer and not lose my job all together.

I think the instinctively aggressive nature of males has a direct influence on the way issues like this are viewed. While a lot of the world has been feminized, the basic genetic make-up still exists and is still strong in many men.

In a buisness world, Jones would have grounds to sue Calipari.

 

His assist totals in SEC play wouldn't make it through cross examination... :lol:

Then, if it's a multi billion dollar business the "managers" need to behave in a professional manner toward their "employees". In a buisness world, Jones would have grounds to sue Calipari.

 

:lol: No, the double standard continues.

 

 

Athletics, like the military, are a beast of its own. Stuff happens in its world that doesn't happen elsewhere. Athletics as a whole, right or wrong, have a lot of cursing and other behavior that would not necessarily be appropriate in a business meeting. You simply can't compare the two when it comes to things like this.

 

Add that to the fact that Calipari said it in the heat of the moment, Jones stated it wasn't a big deal, and Cal apologized for it and I don't see where the issue is? People frequently say things that they regret. Cal immediately regretted it because he knew people were watching. Live, learn & move on.

RM ... I think comparing behavior in the business world to sideline/practice behavior by an NCAA D1 coach is a further reach than comparing it to the military.

 

Personally, I don't think cursing is necessary. If you don't curse though, you may have to yell a little louder and pop a blood vessel every once in a while to make your point in athletics. :D

Serious question - do you think the views are greatly influenced by gender? I do.

 

Absolutely. 99.9% of the men I have talked to could care less. The people who are upset are the mommies and grannies. At least the non UK mommies and grannies it seems.

Absolutely. 99.9% of the men I have talked to could care less. The people who are upset are the mommies and grannies. At least the non UK mommies and grannies it seems.

 

Ouch! :lol: :p

Absolutely. 99.9% of the men I have talked to could care less. The people who are upset are the mommies and grannies. At least the non UK mommies and grannies it seems.

Sadly, you are probably correct but here's one man that does care. http://catholicsportsnet.com/articles/2011/1/17/cursing-an-unacceptable-act-by-coaches

At Georgetown College in Kentucky, where I am an Executive Scholar in Residence, Athletics Director Eric Ward is conducting some unique research about character development. The initial indications will be surprising to those who haven’t been closely watching the modern sports world. Simply put, there’s growing evidence that, instead of building character, participate in intercollegiate sports may actually diminish it.

When a coach tries to motivate a player by calling him a vile name, that, in effect, gives the player permission to employ that same technique in his dealings with others. In case you hadn’t noticed, far too many athletes have been charged with abusing their spouses or girl friends. It’s reasonable to wonder if some of the guys who are so good about getting them into the pros aren’t so good about teaching them how to conduct themselves away from the arena.

I don’t think it’s a bit unfair to expect coaches making millions of dollars to adhere to the same standards that are required of any university professor. Today’s big-name coaches have become corporate CEOs. Many can’t see through all the smoke and money to understand they’ve lost touch with their mission.

First and foremost, coaches should be teachers – not only of how to win games, but of how to behave in the classroom and in social situations. Players are not commodities; they are young human beings. Coaches are obligated to teach them values and set an example for them. Demeaning a player in public by using abusive and ugly language might have been acceptable in the 1940s and ‘50s, but it’s not in today’s society.

The sports world can change. Back in the old days, it wasn’t uncommon for crowds to yell racial epithets at African-American players. That is no longer tolerated. Back in the old days, it wasn’t uncommon for coaches to bully players and physically abuse them. That is no longer tolerated. Back in the old days, coaches could deny players water at practice, even on the hottest days. That is no longer tolerated.

 

Coaches and athletes do not deserve special treatment just because they are coaches and athletes. They must be held to the same standards of behavior that apply to the rest of us. The rules that apply to any college professor or department head should also apply to coaches.

"Terrence I know we have talked about this at length in practice and meetings, but now would be a really swell time for you to start involving your teammates a little better by passing the ball. Just wanted to let you know, buddy. Thanks."

 

:lol:

 

That line would get him TONS OF MEDIA ATTENTION. I can see the ESPN lines now "Coach Cal says Swell?" Haha ah people are just stupid.

Sadly, you are probably correct but here's one man that does care. http://catholicsportsnet.com/articles/2011/1/17/cursing-an-unacceptable-act-by-coaches

At Georgetown College in Kentucky, where I am an Executive Scholar in Residence, Athletics Director Eric Ward is conducting some unique research about character development. The initial indications will be surprising to those who haven’t been closely watching the modern sports world. Simply put, there’s growing evidence that, instead of building character, participate in intercollegiate sports may actually diminish it.

When a coach tries to motivate a player by calling him a vile name, that, in effect, gives the player permission to employ that same technique in his dealings with others. In case you hadn’t noticed, far too many athletes have been charged with abusing their spouses or girl friends. It’s reasonable to wonder if some of the guys who are so good about getting them into the pros aren’t so good about teaching them how to conduct themselves away from the arena.

I don’t think it’s a bit unfair to expect coaches making millions of dollars to adhere to the same standards that are required of any university professor. Today’s big-name coaches have become corporate CEOs. Many can’t see through all the smoke and money to understand they’ve lost touch with their mission.

First and foremost, coaches should be teachers – not only of how to win games, but of how to behave in the classroom and in social situations. Players are not commodities; they are young human beings. Coaches are obligated to teach them values and set an example for them. Demeaning a player in public by using abusive and ugly language might have been acceptable in the 1940s and ‘50s, but it’s not in today’s society.

The sports world can change. Back in the old days, it wasn’t uncommon for crowds to yell racial epithets at African-American players. That is no longer tolerated. Back in the old days, it wasn’t uncommon for coaches to bully players and physically abuse them. That is no longer tolerated. Back in the old days, coaches could deny players water at practice, even on the hottest days. That is no longer tolerated.

 

Coaches and athletes do not deserve special treatment just because they are coaches and athletes. They must be held to the same standards of behavior that apply to the rest of us. The rules that apply to any college professor or department head should also apply to coaches.

 

Because you say so? I disagree, therefore I'm right; this is basically what you're saying right now. Why does your opinion or values out weigh anyone else's on this thread?

Sadly, you are probably correct but here's one man that does care. http://catholicsportsnet.com/articles/2011/1/17/cursing-an-unacceptable-act-by-coaches

At Georgetown College in Kentucky, where I am an Executive Scholar in Residence, Athletics Director Eric Ward is conducting some unique research about character development. The initial indications will be surprising to those who haven’t been closely watching the modern sports world. Simply put, there’s growing evidence that, instead of building character, participate in intercollegiate sports may actually diminish it.

When a coach tries to motivate a player by calling him a vile name, that, in effect, gives the player permission to employ that same technique in his dealings with others. In case you hadn’t noticed, far too many athletes have been charged with abusing their spouses or girl friends. It’s reasonable to wonder if some of the guys who are so good about getting them into the pros aren’t so good about teaching them how to conduct themselves away from the arena.

I don’t think it’s a bit unfair to expect coaches making millions of dollars to adhere to the same standards that are required of any university professor. Today’s big-name coaches have become corporate CEOs. Many can’t see through all the smoke and money to understand they’ve lost touch with their mission.

First and foremost, coaches should be teachers – not only of how to win games, but of how to behave in the classroom and in social situations. Players are not commodities; they are young human beings. Coaches are obligated to teach them values and set an example for them. Demeaning a player in public by using abusive and ugly language might have been acceptable in the 1940s and ‘50s, but it’s not in today’s society.

The sports world can change. Back in the old days, it wasn’t uncommon for crowds to yell racial epithets at African-American players. That is no longer tolerated. Back in the old days, it wasn’t uncommon for coaches to bully players and physically abuse them. That is no longer tolerated. Back in the old days, coaches could deny players water at practice, even on the hottest days. That is no longer tolerated.

 

Coaches and athletes do not deserve special treatment just because they are coaches and athletes. They must be held to the same standards of behavior that apply to the rest of us. The rules that apply to any college professor or department head should also apply to coaches.

 

First off, I find that ironic coming out of Georgetown after some of the stories I've heard from former players. But that's a different story.

 

Second, as you said, times have changed. Booster's, who are responsible for those million dollar salaries, don't throw a ton of money at a school because their coach is cordial to his players. They do it because they win, plain and simple. Lose games >> lose support >> lose your job; regardless of how you handle your players in tough situations. Ideal, yes. Realistic, not a chance.

Because you say so? I disagree, therefore I'm right; this is basically what you're saying right now. Why does your opinion or values out weigh anyone else's on this thread?

This is an excerpt out of the article that I cited & gave the URL. My opinion doesn't outweigh yours or anyones on this thread.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.