January 20, 201115 yr This is an excerpt out of the article that I cited & gave the URL. My opinion doesn't outweigh yours or anyones on this thread. Alright I suppose you're forgiven as long as you can do the same.
January 20, 201115 yr Alright I suppose you're forgiven as long as you can do the same. Absolutely.:thumb:
January 20, 201115 yr Sadly, you are probably correct but here's one man that does care. http://catholicsportsnet.com/articles/2011/1/17/cursing-an-unacceptable-act-by-coaches At Georgetown College in Kentucky, where I am an Executive Scholar in Residence, Athletics Director Eric Ward is conducting some unique research about character development. The initial indications will be surprising to those who haven’t been closely watching the modern sports world. Simply put, there’s growing evidence that, instead of building character, participate in intercollegiate sports may actually diminish it. When a coach tries to motivate a player by calling him a vile name, that, in effect, gives the player permission to employ that same technique in his dealings with others. In case you hadn’t noticed, far too many athletes have been charged with abusing their spouses or girl friends. It’s reasonable to wonder if some of the guys who are so good about getting them into the pros aren’t so good about teaching them how to conduct themselves away from the arena. I don’t think it’s a bit unfair to expect coaches making millions of dollars to adhere to the same standards that are required of any university professor. Today’s big-name coaches have become corporate CEOs. Many can’t see through all the smoke and money to understand they’ve lost touch with their mission. First and foremost, coaches should be teachers – not only of how to win games, but of how to behave in the classroom and in social situations. Players are not commodities; they are young human beings. Coaches are obligated to teach them values and set an example for them. Demeaning a player in public by using abusive and ugly language might have been acceptable in the 1940s and ‘50s, but it’s not in today’s society. The sports world can change. Back in the old days, it wasn’t uncommon for crowds to yell racial epithets at African-American players. That is no longer tolerated. Back in the old days, it wasn’t uncommon for coaches to bully players and physically abuse them. That is no longer tolerated. Back in the old days, coaches could deny players water at practice, even on the hottest days. That is no longer tolerated. Coaches and athletes do not deserve special treatment just because they are coaches and athletes. They must be held to the same standards of behavior that apply to the rest of us. The rules that apply to any college professor or department head should also apply to coaches. http://www.catholicsports..... was all I needed to see in regards to your response although I did read your post. It does seem that you and Rockmom are the two biggest against Cal's motivation tactics and you are both women which goes back to my initial response that women are more affected by this than men. I am a Duke fan and have seen Coach K(mentored by Bobby Knight) go nuts and lose his mind on multiple occasions. I bet you'll be hard pressed to find a kid who has been cussed by Cal or K that wouldn't play for either one also. It's the nature of the game and likely always will be and I am okay with that. I understand the outrage but IMO it's much ado about nothing.
January 20, 201115 yr If Cal isn't wrong for what he said, why did he apologize? It has been argued here that he won't lose support and the university financial backers are interested in wins, not language. Comparing college sports to the military is NOT an apples to apples comparison. If you ignore your coach, you might lose the game. If you ignore your commanding officer, lives (including yours) might be lost. Lastly, I think that there are two different versions of the "good old days" going on here. One group likes to decry the "wussification" of America. Then there is another group who remember the good old days when people actually did interact with respect. I remember my uncle taking off his hat every time he entered a house or building (he was ex-military, too). I remember when people returned their grocery carts to the store of the proper area, instead of leaving them in the parking spot next to them. I could give other examples. Which version is the correct "old day" view? Probably somewhere in the middle.
January 21, 201115 yr In the old days I remember if you didn't act like a decent human being someone would let you know and if you were disrespectful you might get your tail kicked. Now if someone doesn't return a cart it is considered out of line. Wussification is in full swing.
January 21, 201115 yr Now if someone doesn't return a cart it is considered out of line. Wussification is in full swing. No, it used to be that, as Ram said, people didn't feel entitled. Now, they just say and do what they want without any regard to decency, morals and other people. That's the sad state of affairs that we are in.
January 21, 201115 yr No, it used to be that, as Ram said, people didn't feel entitled. Now, they just say and do what they want without any regard to decency, morals and other people. That's the sad state of affairs that we are in. And what I want to know is why decency, respect, morals, manners....why are those things "wussification"? I live those things every day, I don't know anyone who'd call me a wuss. If you say it's because I'm a woman, you're wrong. My son doesn't talk like that either. He holds doors and he puts carts back and when he's angry he shuts up and waits it out before he says things he'll regret. Again, that's part of being an adult. I'm proud of him. Heck, after reading this thread, I'm even more proud of him than I thought possible. He's apparently one of a kind.
January 21, 201115 yr And what I want to know is why decency, respect, morals, manners....why are those things "wussification"? I live those things every day, I don't know anyone who'd call me a wuss. If you say it's because I'm a woman, you're wrong. My son doesn't talk like that either. He holds doors and he puts carts back and when he's angry he shuts up and waits it out before he says things he'll regret. Again, that's part of being an adult. I'm proud of him. Heck, after reading this thread, I'm even more proud of him than I thought possible. He's apparently one of a kind. When did repeatedly going against what you were told to do by your superiors become acceptable? I guess he should say pretty please next time the cameras are around...
January 21, 201115 yr If Cal isn't wrong for what he said, why did he apologize? It has been argued here that he won't lose support and the university financial backers are interested in wins, not language. Mo Egger raised an interesting thought on that today....He said Cal orchestrated the whole apology thing, not because he felt he had to, but because they just lost to a bad team and he wanted to shift all the attention and focus on the poor play of his young guys (Jones, Knight, etc.), and place all the talk and focus on himself. :idunno: As to you being against what was said, well like PP92 said...you, RM, and kygirl are all women. Men view it completely different than women do.
January 21, 201115 yr And what I want to know is why decency, respect, morals, manners....why are those things "wussification"? I live those things every day, I don't know anyone who'd call me a wuss. If you say it's because I'm a woman, you're wrong. My son doesn't talk like that either. He holds doors and he puts carts back and when he's angry he shuts up and waits it out before he says things he'll regret. Again, that's part of being an adult. I'm proud of him. Heck, after reading this thread, I'm even more proud of him than I thought possible. He's apparently one of a kind. I'd be willing to bet he's lost "his cool" on more than a few instances. You talk about deceny, respect, manners, etc, but what about Jones' actions? Why does he get a free pass for showing up the coach, his superior, by ignoring him, disrespecting him, etc.?
January 21, 201115 yr Both Coach Joe B. Hall and Denny Crum said it was wrong in the choice of words. Denny said he never cussed a player or a Ref. Joe B. said he didn't either until he came to Kentucky, but still didn't use words like Coach Cal used. A Coach can use certain words to make a point, I have with my sons, but it was a rare time. The words Coach Cal used put him on "around the Horn/PTI." Wonder why like I asked before, slow news day. I don't think so. Mustang, If Coach Knight is so "great" why isn't he coaching now?
January 21, 201115 yr Mustang, If Coach Knight is so "great" why isn't he coaching now? Maybe because he is 70 years old and coached D1 Basketball for 42 years. I certainly hope that I'm not still working at my job at that age.
January 21, 201115 yr [video=youtube;WuQXOseOP-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQXOseOP-I&feature=player_embedded#! I guess Coach Cal isn't the only one. If Roy lets an F bomb slip during a press conference, imaging what he might say during a practice.
January 21, 201115 yr I'd be willing to bet he's lost "his cool" on more than a few instances. You talk about deceny, respect, manners, etc, but what about Jones' actions? Why does he get a free pass for showing up the coach, his superior, by ignoring him, disrespecting him, etc.? You're not getting it! Has he cursed, most assuredly? Has he called someone a blaking blanker? No. And he's been a supervisor in a Kroger before, and not a nice one. So he's had plenty of opportunities. As to the last part, are you serious? Maybe Jones would learn by example. Maybe Jones isn't "getting it", and it's not intentional disrespect. It doesn't really matter....the point is no one should be talked to like that, with that kind of language.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.