January 21, 201115 yr [video=youtube;WuQXOseOP-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQXOseOP-I&feature=player_embedded#! I guess Coach Cal isn't the only one. If Roy lets an F bomb slip during a press conference, imaging what he might say during a practice. So....I'm still trying to figure out....is this like in politics? It's OK because others do it too? I have said repeatedly that there is no place for that kind of language as a head coach counseling a player....ANY head coach.
January 21, 201115 yr If Cal isn't wrong for what he said, why did he apologize? It has been argued here that he won't lose support and the university financial backers are interested in wins, not language. Comparing college sports to the military is NOT an apples to apples comparison. If you ignore your coach, you might lose the game. If you ignore your commanding officer, lives (including yours) might be lost. Lastly, I think that there are two different versions of the "good old days" going on here. One group likes to decry the "wussification" of America. Then there is another group who remember the good old days when people actually did interact with respect. I remember my uncle taking off his hat every time he entered a house or building (he was ex-military, too). I remember when people returned their grocery carts to the store of the proper area, instead of leaving them in the parking spot next to them. I could give other examples. Which version is the correct "old day" view? Probably somewhere in the middle. So it's okay for a commanding officer to cuss out young adults for repeatedly ignoring others because it costs peoples lives and because it is just a game it is not okay for Cal or any head coach to cuss out young adults? Gotcha.
January 21, 201115 yr Both Coach Joe B. Hall and Denny Crum said it was wrong in the choice of words. Denny said he never cussed a player or a Ref. Joe B. said he didn't either until he came to Kentucky, but still didn't use words like Coach Cal used. A Coach can use certain words to make a point, I have with my sons, but it was a rare time. The words Coach Cal used put him on "around the Horn/PTI." Wonder why like I asked before, slow news day. I don't think so. Mustang, If Coach Knight is so "great" why isn't he coaching now? I have a hard time believing Joe B. or Denny and if they say they didn't cuss their players then I have serious doubts about that. I go with slow news day. I didn't see either show discussing Frank Martin. He is 2 to 3 times worse than Cal and he does it in a majority of his games win or lose. When Kansas State played Duke they had to blur his mouth out during the highlights of the game on Sportscenter. It is a part of the game. I can handle that and it doesn't bother me at all.
January 21, 201115 yr You're not getting it! Has he cursed, most assuredly? Has he called someone a blaking blanker? No. And he's been a supervisor in a Kroger before, and not a nice one. So he's had plenty of opportunities. As to the last part, are you serious? Maybe Jones would learn by example. Maybe Jones isn't "getting it", and it's not intentional disrespect. It doesn't really matter....the point is no one should be talked to like that, with that kind of language. I get your point. I just think that when it comes to coaching Men's basketball or even Women's basketball(I am sure Pat and Geno have cursed at some point) there are a different set of rules. I am almost certain Cal isn't out in public talking to people the way he talks to his players because those are two entirely different sets of social interaction. I work in a factory and how I talk with my fellow mechanic friends and how we talk to one another isn't the kind of conversation I would have with my wife or her friends or her mother or around any woman for that matter but amongst my friends all bets are off and if someone overhears us we profusely apologize because we know those words aren't meant for woman or kids. It doesn't mean that we don't know how to talk to people or that we aren't sorry they heard it but amongst one another we don't have to follow those rules. What Cal says to his players is locker room/shop talk to me and he happened to get caught having locker room talk on the floor. In Men's/Women's basketball IMO the court and locker room are sanctuaries(metaphorically speaking) and what is said or discussed in those sanctuaries is between the Coaches and the players and is none of our business. All of those players have a choice if they want to stay in that environment. Nobody is forcing them to stay if they can't handle it. It was interesting on twitter last night as I follow Chris Douglas Roberts and Terrence Jones and TJ told CDR that Cal told him about the bus ticket story. CDR laughed and told TJ that Cal threw him out of many practices as a freshman and that it turned him into an All American. Funny how what some perceive as demeaning the recipients use it as a learning tool to better themselves. CDR also told TJ and Lamb to 'go get that money' but that is another story that I am sure we'll discuss sometime in April.
January 21, 201115 yr I get your point. I just think that when it comes to coaching Men's basketball or even Women's basketball(I am sure Pat and Geno have cursed at some point) there are a different set of rules. I am almost certain Cal isn't out in public talking to people the way he talks to his players because those are two entirely different sets of social interaction. I work in a factory and how I talk with my fellow mechanic friends and how we talk to one another isn't the kind of conversation I would have with my wife or her friends or her mother or around any woman for that matter but amongst my friends all bets are off and if someone overhears us we profusely apologize because we know those words aren't meant for woman or kids. It doesn't mean that we don't know how to talk to people or that we aren't sorry they heard it but amongst one another we don't have to follow those rules. What Cal says to his players is locker room/shop talk to me and he happened to get caught having locker room talk on the floor. In Men's/Women's basketball IMO the court and locker room are sanctuaries(metaphorically speaking) and what is said or discussed in those sanctuaries is between the Coaches and the players and is none of our business. All of those players have a choice if they want to stay in that environment. Nobody is forcing them to stay if they can't handle it. It was interesting on twitter last night as I follow Chris Douglas Roberts and Terrence Jones and TJ told CDR that Cal told him about the bus ticket story. CDR laughed and told TJ that Cal threw him out of many practices as a freshman and that it turned him into an All American. Funny how what some perceive as demeaning the recipients use it as a learning tool to better themselves. CDR also told TJ and Lamb to 'go get that money' but that is another story that I am sure we'll discuss sometime in April. Sorry...no matter what anyone says, I stand by my principles. Granted I may be alone in my principles, but I'm not ashamed of that. (Alone in my principles...anyone who's a fan of "That Thing You Do" will get that. )
January 21, 201115 yr The military is it's own world, SG, and not at all the same. But, the reason I brought up the military was because of the two posts below. I'm sorry, but I am astounded that people think it's OK for a man in a position of authority to curse at a subordinate...and not just curse, but personally attack his character. Simply not right. Well, the fact of the matter is that the subject hasn't come up. I don't think ANYONE should use such language. And, I'm not saying Calipari shouldn't be a coach or even that he's a bad person. What I am saying is that he shouldn't have used the language he used, and shouldn't be excused because he's a coach. In the military you have people cursing at subordinates and attack their character. And they do use such language in the military as well, but no one should use such language? Should they be excused just because they are in the military? Is it or is it not okay for people to use such language? Does "anyone" mean everyone?
January 21, 201115 yr But, the reason I brought up the military was because of the two posts below. In the military you have people cursing at subordinates and attack their character. And they do use such language in the military as well, but no one should use such language? Should they be excused just because they are in the military? Is it or is it not okay for people to use such language? Oh for the love of God, SG. You know why. You're just pushing this to try and create a simple black & white stance on the issue. The reality of the difference is not black & white in comparing the military to sports. There's nothing more to be said that hasn't been said in this thread already about the matter. Keep pushing it though. It distracts from the real issue, and that's what your goal is.
January 21, 201115 yr Joe B and Denny's opinion really doesn't carry any weight, IMO. Different day and age.
January 21, 201115 yr So it's okay for a commanding officer to cuss out young adults for repeatedly ignoring others because it costs peoples lives and because it is just a game it is not okay for Cal or any head coach to cuss out young adults? Gotcha. Way to jump to conclusions there. :lol: My comment was that it was ridiculous to compare what goes on on a college basketball team and what goes on in the military.
January 21, 201115 yr Mo Egger raised an interesting thought on that today....He said Cal orchestrated the whole apology thing, not because he felt he had to, but because they just lost to a bad team and he wanted to shift all the attention and focus on the poor play of his young guys (Jones, Knight, etc.), and place all the talk and focus on himself. :idunno: As to you being against what was said, well like PP92 said...you, RM, and kygirl are all women. Men view it completely different than women do. The bolded sounds like someone (Egger) RRREEEAAALLLLYYYY stretching for a reason to support their opinion. :lol: For the record, I am not bothered by what he said. I just think it shows a lack of class (and vocabulary). Had it been a milder profanity (I've been around many coaches in my day), I probably wouldn't have batted an eye, but he used a pretty strong one TWICE in the same sentence. BTW...if this type of speech is so common, as some say, why would it spark Jones into doing what his coach asked of him? If it is common, then it would be nothing shocking for him to hear and no reason to move him into action. If it's not common, what would his thought process be? "Wow! Coach used THOSE words!?!? He must really be mad at me, so I had better start playing better!" Really? The important part of what Calipari said was selfish. I think the meaning of that word and how it could be used could have far more effect on a player than profanity. Personally, I think he could have gotten his point across, perhaps better, without the double use of the same curse.
January 21, 201115 yr Way to jump to conclusions there. :lol: My comment was that it was ridiculous to compare what goes on on a college basketball team and what goes on in the military. My point is that while you can't compare college basketball to the military you can't compare college basketball to regular society. The dynamic of the morals and standards of college basketball teams are not the same morals and standards of society. I agree that the post Boot Camp part of military is not comparable to college basketball but college basketball(or any sport that has a locker room mentality) is not comparable to society and neither should be held to the same morals and standards of society.
January 21, 201115 yr My question is this. Will televised college basketball games have a "language disclaimer" at the beginning of every telecast? A TV-MA content rating?
January 21, 201115 yr My question is this. Will televised college basketball games have a "language disclaimer" at the beginning of every telecast? A TV-MA content rating? :lol: They probably should. I remember last year when Daniel Orton was rolling around on the ground in pain and couldn't get up despite Eric Bledsoe encouraging him to do so.....:lol:
January 21, 201115 yr Oh for the love of God, SG. You know why. You're just pushing this to try and create a simple black & white stance on the issue. The reality of the difference is not black & white in comparing the military to sports. There's nothing more to be said that hasn't been said in this thread already about the matter. Keep pushing it though. It distracts from the real issue, and that's what your goal is. LOL. No, my goal is to see if the definition of the phrase " I don't think ANYONE should use such language" has changed, as that was from one of your first posts in this thread. But when the military was mentioned, it's now okay for them to use such language, are they not "ANYONE"? I am just wondering, as our good friend Bill taught us the new definition of what "is" is. Anyway, Coaches say these kind of words all the time. If anyone remembers Cal from last year when he had a mic on for some SEC TV show, how he was yelling at Cousins for getting a T for pushing someone. "Oh I'm a man! No ones pushing me around! Fine! Now you sit!" If Cal did not have a mic on him, he would have not been that clean when he was yelling at Cuz.
January 21, 201115 yr LOL. No, my goal is to see if the definition of the phrase " I don't think ANYONE should use such language" has changed, as that was from one of your first posts in this thread. But when the military was mentioned, it's now okay for them to use such language, are they not "ANYONE"? I am just wondering, as our good friend Bill taught us the new definition of what "is" is. Anyway, Coaches say these kind of words all the time. If anyone remembers Cal from last year when he had a mic on for some SEC TV show, how he was yelling at Cousins for getting a T for pushing someone. "Oh I'm a man! No ones pushing me around! Fine! Now you sit!" If Cal did not have a mic on him, he would have not been that clean when he was yelling at Cuz. No...I never said it was OK even for military. What I said is that it's different. And that the military operates under a completely different culture. And that the culture of a college basketball program is nothing like the military.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.