Fern Creek Open

sportsfan08

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/khs/

Curtis Higgins has resigned after four seasons as the head football coach at Fern Creek High School.

Higgins, 48, has spent 27 years in coaching and said he plans to go into administration.

“I’ll be certified completely by the end of the spring, and I’ll be looking for a job as an assistant principal … or maybe as an athletic director,” Higgins said. “This is something I knew was a possibility. I just didn’t know when I was going to make the move.”

Higgins went 28-20 at Fern Creek, including a 4-8 mark this season that included a second-round loss to Henderson County in the Class 6-A playoffs. His best season was his first, when the Tigers finished 8-4 and lost to Male in the second round of the 6-A playoffs.

Higgins first got into coaching in 1984 at Waggener, where he spent six seasons as an assistant. He was an assistant coach at South Oldham in 1990 before becoming the head coach at Oldham County, where he posted a 17-24 record from 1991-94.

Higgins was an assistant at Male from 1995-98 before posting a 69-26 record in eight seasons (1999-2006) as the head coach at Trigg County. He took the Fern Creek job in 2007 and has a career record of 114-70 as a head coach.

“I have a lot of good memories and a lot of great relationships, and that was through football,” Higgins said. “That’s what kind of makes it difficult for me.”

Higgins said he needs six more years of service before he can retire and wouldn’t rule out a return to coaching.

“Maybe after I retire I might try to get back into it in another setting,” Higgins said.

Fern Creek athletic director Troy Johnson said the school is accepting applications for Higgins’ replacement.

I always thought Fern Creek was a school that was consistently loaded with talent. Where did it go?

Traditionally, FC has always had athletes. Not sure what they have coming back next year, though. The new district looks to be wide open with many of the schools in it getting hit hard by graduation.

This year they have three D-1 signees. How many schools can we think of that has two? Ballard has two I know of.

FC has a nice complex and the support thru the area is very good. The JV/freshmen had Ok numbers but the talent level was down.

The neighborhood is very populated. If this was back in the early 70s...