Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

32 tackles

Featured Replies

I found this pretty darn interesting. Boyle County's Lamar Dawson recorded 32 tackles last game. It was also a school record. Not a bad accomplishment for the Mr. Football nominee. Here's the story for anyone interested.

 

http://amnews.com/stories/2010/10/27/spo.190874.sto

 

Now, that's obviously very rare to see that many tackles in one game. So not only did I want to recognize him for that great accomplishment but I was wondering if there had been any other performances like that this season on defense? 30+ tackles or close to that number.

  • Replies 81
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

total.

I would like to know who keeps stats, and how they tally things, 32 is alot.

I would like to know who keeps stats, and how they tally things, 32 is alot.

 

 

Some of the stat keepers are on this board. Maybe they'll answer the question for you. Lex18 reported this before anyone else did. The numbers I was told was that he had 19 solo tackles and 11 assisted tackles before this story circulated yesterday. From what I have gathered 32 is the total number of tackles he is being credited with. Maybe one of the stat guys can shed some light on it for you. I know the USC Trojans sent a guy to videotape the game. I'd say he got some great footage to take back Kiffin. What's funny is he should have had more. On at least 2 occasions he tried to tackle with his shoulder instead of wrapping up and the runner got away from him. Considering how long East had the ball, 32 tackles sounds about right. I'd be interested in knowing how many Chris Cook had. He and Lamar either made or were in every tackle it seemed.

I would like to know who keeps stats, and how they tally things, 32 is alot.

 

I'm not one of the stats guys but I think I can shed light on how it's possible for Lamar to get 32 tackles in that game.

 

*Boyle did not have normal starting LB Zach Hester playing. Hester is usually all over the field and ball as well and quite frankly will take some tackle opportunities away from Lamar because he's pretty darn good at getting there at the point of attack.

 

*Boyle's 3-4 defense allows for a lot of tackles by the LB's in their scheme. Like most great defenses, they scheme to get their best players at the point of attack to make plays.

 

*Boyle was playing East Jessamine who is a big, physical, pound-the-run kind of team. I think they had about 50 rushing attempts in the game. Most were between the tackles. That many attempts + between the tackles = Lots of tackle opportunities for the LB's. East ran the ball well and sustained drives but just could not put it in the end zone much. All of those factors help give him the opportunity to make those plays in this particular game.

 

*There have been games when Lamar had maybe only 6 or 8 tackles. Usually against pass teams that don't challenge the Rebels up the middle like East did. So for me to see 32 tackles I was taken aback but since there have been some games he wasn't even in double digits, it lends me to give creedance to the number or they would inflate him every game. (That and the fact I used to play ball with the stats guys and I don't see them "cheating" to make their guy look good. :thumb:)

His best tackle was a solo tackle on the fake punt. He covered a lot of ground quick and tackled the kid 1 yard short of the first down.

Let's hope he continues to make tackles in the Bluegrass over the next four years.

Don't think they was cheating or padding stats just curious how they count assists, solos, etc... thats all, no doubt the kid is a stud and great player. 32 they way I would count tackles may be different than the way you do.

Don't think they was cheating or padding stats just curious how they count assists, solos, etc... thats all, no doubt the kid is a stud and great player. 32 they way I would count tackles may be different than the way you do.

Kudos to the kid for the accomplishment. With that said, I never really get too excited over recorded tackles on the high school level because of what you mentioned. Some will give 1/2 credit for a tackle when just jumping in on a pile. Not saying this is the case here, but there is no defined formula all local stat guys go by.

The most that I ever saw was Steve Smith had 25 for NewCath against LexCath in '95. (Still one of the most exciting games that I was ever a part of.)

In 2006 Williamsburg's Aaron Root had 32 against Harlan. He had 21 solo and 11 assists. Unfortunately for the Jackets that night, if he wasn't in on the play it didn't get done as they lost a close one. He also had all 3 of the Jackets touchdowns that evening.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.