Travis Montgomery (BCHS) places 2nd in Nat'l Usssa DUNK Contest

Travis Montgomery, from Boone County HS, did a 360 dunk, threw it off shot clock and dunked, bounce pass from co-player on gym balcony to dunk, and jump over Jack Stewart (Highlands) sitting in chair to dunk.

This was reported on the news in Ft. Wayne. They have videos of his dunks at http://www.wane.com, then go to local sports videos to view.

The article says he was edged out by local guy named Wilson.

Congrats Travis!

Can't wait to follow your senior season at Boone.:ylsuper:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travis also finished his dunks on every first attempt. The dunk that "beat" Travis was a second attempt. IMO. Travis won the contest. He just didn't get the award. The local guy, set up a really amazing dunk, but failed to throw it down on his attempt. He was given a second attempt and he changed his dunk. You make your own assumptions.

If that last dunk by Wilson was the winning dunk then Montgomery got the shaft due to Wilson being a local!

BTW, why did the NKY Bulldogs fo to Ft Wayne and not Florida?

To answer your question, there were several reasons the Bulldogs decided on Ft. Wayne over Florida. The parents were given the options and voted to go to Ft. Wayne. Time constraints and finances led the way.

Not to take anything away from Travis, but I thought it was pretty cool that another 9th region player won a national dunk contest earlier this summer against kids older than him. Tyler Bray from Ryle (but transferring to Lloyd this year) won the dunk contest at Grand Nationals in Cleveland. The neat thing about it...they both went to the same middle school and both have done the same plyometric program! I guess it works!

Travis Montgomery is an awesome dunker, and an even better kid. He will be tough to defend in the 9th because of his ability to attack the rim. His jump shot seemed to also liven up as the summer went on. He seems to want to dunk on everyone once he gets inside the lane. This aggressiveness is not something that many kids have in NKY. Looking forward to watching he and the Rebels do work this season. GREAT WORK TRAVIS!

Congrats Travis!!!

Sounds to me he got homered in the dunk contest!!!

I heard he was being looked at by University of Alabama - Huntsville, any truth to that? I believe they are a very good DII team.

Anyone else looking at him? I believe he can definitely play DI if he wants to.... Any DI teams contacting him, does anyone know?

Congrats Travis!!!

Sounds to me he got homered in the dunk contest!!!

I heard he was being looked at by University of Alabama - Huntsville, any truth to that? I believe they are a very good DII team.

Anyone else looking at him? I believe he can definitely play DI if he wants to.... Any DI teams contacting him, does anyone know?

If it were only that easy then we would have a lot more players playing D1 out of Northern Kentucky. Travis is a good player....probably a top 10 player in Northern Kentucky but we just don't produce that many D1 players out of this area. If he is getting a solid D2 look that is pretty good.

If it were only that easy then we would have a lot more players playing D1 out of Northern Kentucky. Travis is a good player....probably a top 10 player in Northern Kentucky but we just don't produce that many D1 players out of this area. If he is getting a solid D2 look that is pretty good.

Traditionally I would agree with you, but I think that the NKY area is begining to gain a reputation for producing high caliber athletes. I would not be surprised one bit to see a few of the 2011 NKY kids go D1. I am not in any way discounting how difficult of a challenge that is, but I really do feel that the potential is there.