Rules Question

My grandfather was at a knothole game in Campbell County the other day and gave the following account: There were two outs and a player on third base. The player on third charged for home in what may have been an attempt to steal home. Prior to reaching home the umpire called catchers interference for interfering with the batter. The runner came across the plate and the run was counted game over. My question is shouldn't the play have been dead when interference was called on the catcher resulting in the return of runner to third base. These were the facts given to me by Grandpa.

Just from memory and guessing, I think catcher's interference is a delayed dead ball. The play goes on and it depends on what happens as to what the ruling is. In this instance, if the runner from 3B was safe at home, ending the game, the offensive coach would obviously choose the result of the play rather than the catcher's interference. If the runner from 3B was out, you'd enforce the interference, return the runner to 3B and give the Batter 1B and bring a new batter to the plate.

Interested to see what the right answer is.

True statement. Another example that is more likely to be seen is a swing that hits the cathcers mit then hits the ball for a base hit....even though the umpire may call catchers interference, its a delayed dead ball and the play continues live until it ends and then either the cathcers interference is applied or the result of the play whichever is in favor of the offense.

Just from memory and guessing, I think catcher's interference is a delayed dead ball. The play goes on and it depends on what happens as to what the ruling is. In this instance, if the runner from 3B was safe at home, ending the game, the offensive coach would obviously choose the result of the play rather than the catcher's interference. If the runner from 3B was out, you'd enforce the interference, return the runner to 3B and give the Batter 1B and bring a new batter to the plate.

Interested to see what the right answer is.

You're partially right. It is a delayed dead ball. However,if the runner from third was tagged out on the play, time would be called and he would be awarded the plate. Runners advancing on a catcher's obstruction (even though it's commonly called interference) would be awarded the base they are advancing to and the batter would be awarded first base. In this game ending scenario, either the runner from third scores or ,if he is tagged before reaching the plate, time is called and he is awarded the plate. Either way, he would score. You would not send him back to third. (If he was not advancing on the play, he would not be awarded the plate and your take on the situation would be correct.

Doesn't Knothole follow the MLB rulebook? There is no delayed dead ball in MLB, is there?

Knothole uses OBR/MLB as its base with a few modifications.

There are plays where there is a delayed dead ball.

Describe your play.