Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jonathan Ferguson

Featured Replies

How many "All A" state titles did this team win in this period? I don't have time to look it up at the moment?

 

I don't think there was an All A at this time. They made the Sweet 16 Championship game in 85, 87, and 88. Winning it in 87 against Ballard and Allan Houston. Richie Farmer was named MVP in both 87 and 88.

  • Replies 260
  • Views 37.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think there was an All A at this time. They made the Sweet 16 Championship game in 85, 87, and 88. Winning it in 87 against Ballard and Allan Houston. Richie Farmer was named MVP in both 87 and 88.

 

Sorry I was alluding to the Elliott County dynasty regarding the "A"--The Clay teams are those of legend!!

Sorry I was alluding to the Elliott County dynasty regarding the "A"--The Clay teams are those of legend!!

 

I'm sorry. I didn't read that correctly. I really don't know how many they won. I would have to assume they won all of them during that time frame. I mean, I am from Harlan County and Harlan won the thing twice when both UH and Paintsville were really good. If EC didn't win all of them during their run, I'd really have to wonder how good they were. And yes, the Clay teams were awesome. Luckily I started HS the year AFTER Richie graduated.

Word is the presser may be at the Penny Mart if Cal can find the time to sign all the posters of him over the walls, may also move the conference out to Dale's store if coach states he will get writers cramp. Rumor has it there is TV crews from Cincinnati, Lexington and Huntington camped outside the Penny Mart waiting word!

 

 

LONG LIVE THE LEGEND OF THE MOST CELEBRATED HIGH SCHOOL TEAM IN KENTUCKY BASKETBALL HISTORY--ELLIOTT COUNTY LIONS 2005-2009

 

I would say Elliott County has been one of the most over-hyped and overrated teams in a long time in Kentucky. They never one an All-A title much less the Sweet 16. They ran the score up on a lot of very bad 16th region teams. The Shelby Valley team from the past few years which didn't get 1/10th of the hype was a much better and more complete (played some defense) team.

I would say Elliott County has been one of the most over-hyped and overrated teams in a long time in Kentucky. They never one an All-A title much less the Sweet 16. They ran the score up on a lot of very bad 16th region teams. The Shelby Valley team from the past few years which didn't get 1/10th of the hype was a much better and more complete (played some defense) team.

 

Regardless if they won a title or not they will go down as one of the best Mountain teams of all time and they were a lot of fun to track during those years. Some teams from NKY only wish they could be as good as those teams.

What is the deal here? Wireman you're leaving us hanging...

Regardless if they won a title or not they will go down as one of the best Mountain teams of all time and they were a lot of fun to track during those years. Some teams from NKY only wish they could be as good as those teams.

 

But the lack of championships do cloud things a bit. Shelby Valley was better in the sense that they won championships.

But the lack of championships do cloud things a bit. Shelby Valley was better in the sense that they won championships.

 

The only difference, Shelby Valley didn't have the attention of the national media. If the Elliott County story didn't run in the national news would they have been as big of a story? Unfortunately I say no. I do not in any way, shape, or form discredit anything that they accomplished in High School. And they were an incredible team. Shelby Valley had a better run, with less publicity.

I would say Elliott County has been one of the most over-hyped and overrated teams in a long time in Kentucky. They never one an All-A title much less the Sweet 16. They ran the score up on a lot of very bad 16th region teams. The Shelby Valley team from the past few years which didn't get 1/10th of the hype was a much better and more complete (played some defense) team.

 

I agree completely. The 16th Reg. has been very weak, especially the last 5 years. I would go as far to say the last 5 years have been the weakest top to bottom ever. Boyd and Russell have particularly struggled the last 2 or 3 years, and Ashland doesn't have the talent they once had. Instead of running up the score on their weaker opponents, maybe the should have developed a bench and learned to play some halfcourt D. That is what hurt them in the All A State and the Sweet 16 and was the difference between them and Shelby Valley.

 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching them play and the whole story was great. But to even think about putting that team in the same breath as a 80s Clay Co or a mid 90s Paintsville is far fetched.

Hey everybody has an opinion, albeit a jealous one, but twenty years from now the legend of that era in Elliott County will only grow! From a national standpoint with recognition that team has accomplished more than any Kentucky high school team ever has with the articles and stories the outfit generated. To trace their popularity easy: they played a style Kentucky loves, were a mountain team, small school from impovished area along with having one of the most intriguing personalities (Dale) as their ring leader!

That's why Ferg getting a call from Cal would be be the ultimate cherry on the ice cream for this bunch, Ferg deserves it and it should happen.

:thumb:

The only difference, Shelby Valley didn't have the attention of the national media. If the Elliott County story didn't run in the national news would they have been as big of a story? Unfortunately I say no. I do not in any way, shape, or form discredit anything that they accomplished in High School. And they were an incredible team. Shelby Valley had a better run, with less publicity.

Here is an update:

 

Ferguson has been observed and looked impressive. One comment I heard several times is that he has packed on about 15 pounds of lean muscle and is much stronger than he was at Elliott County.

 

There are 3 schools that are after him right now (can't reveal anything because I'm friends with the coaching staffs at 2 of the schools and I'd frankly be happy for Ferguson if he chose either) and yes, he is being recruited by an NCAA Division I school at this time.

 

I'd love to give everyone more details, but it's in the best interest of the schools and Jon to let the process play out.

Here is an update:

 

Ferguson has been observed and looked impressive. One comment I heard several times is that he has packed on about 15 pounds of lean muscle and is much stronger than he was at Elliott County.

 

There are 3 schools that are after him right now (can't reveal anything because I'm friends with the coaching staffs at 2 of the schools and I'd frankly be happy for Ferguson if he chose either) and yes, he is being recruited by an NCAA Division I school at this time.

 

I'd love to give everyone more details, but it's in the best interest of the schools and Jon to let the process play out.

 

Thanks for the update. :thumb: It's pretty obvious how popular that Elliot Co. team was with all the anticipation following this news.

 

Any word on what kind of time table he's looking at?

Thanks for the update. :thumb: It's pretty obvious how popular that Elliot Co. team was with all the anticipation following this news.

 

Any word on what kind of time table he's looking at?

 

I'd say a matter of weeks rather than days...

Northern didn't give Ferg what he wanted which was nothing near a full ride, so from what I hear from a very reliable source is that he is going to Western Kentucky. This is from one of the coaches on the staff here at Elliott, so we shall see.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.