Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jonathan Ferguson

Featured Replies

Hey I've said that for the last two months, as loved as that team was across Kentucky BOK would be sold out every game! Ferg, the Faulkners and Chris Knipp would create a buzz NKU basketball has never seen, long live the Mountain Ball Blitz!

  • Replies 260
  • Views 37.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey I've said that for the last two months, as loved as that team was across Kentucky BOK would be sold out every game! Ferg, the Faulkners and Chris Knipp would create a buzz NKU basketball has never seen, long live the Mountain Ball Blitz!

 

And they desperately need that!! Article in the Enquirer this morning, discussing their potential move to D-1, and what's lacking most is team support and attendance, along with $$'s of course.

That would be a great way for NKU to put itself on the map and present itself to the rest of the state by getting the Elliott County team back together for another run!!! They could even promote Dale and make the BOK the best college basketball destination in the Cincinnati area, Vortruba needs to wise up and realize he has a cash cow in the making.

BTW-----What is Chris Knipp doing these days anyway?

I highly doubt that by bringing several of the Elliott county players in will, in fact, fill up that arena. I just don't see it. I know they are good players and were well liked but I don't see a major fanbase for them outside of Elliott County.

Hey I've said that for the last two months, as loved as that team was across Kentucky BOK would be sold out every game! Ferg, the Faulkners and Chris Knipp would create a buzz NKU basketball has never seen, long live the Mountain Ball Blitz!

 

Easy. There was plenty of buzz when they were playing for D2 national titles. I don't think putting a high school team back together that didn't win a title is going to sell out the arena ever.

That buzz couldn't match Elliott County in 2009, c'mon get real! Most people in Kentucky could care less about NKU this would help portray the university to the rest of the state.

That buzz couldn't match Elliott County in 2009, c'mon get real! Most people in Kentucky could care less about NKU this would help portray the university to the rest of the state.

 

I'd say right about now thatmost could care less about 2009 Elliott County team. I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a group in NKY that who really knows about besides people who are apart of this board. Virtually all EKY followed those boys. Other parts of the state? Not so much. I highly doubt that the Elliott County folks as well as their other fan from EKY and the mountains will make the trek up to BOK Arena to watch every game. I'm just being realistic here.

Hopefully Ferguson can shoot the ball at a higher percentage than the Faulkner twins did at the college level last year.

I think you all are underestimating the impact that team had on basketball in this state, every major paper in Kentucky ran cover stories on the team along with all the starters becoming household names throughout the state. Northern Kentucky University would definately receive a major PR boost if the team reunited next year in Highland Heights!

I think you all are underestimating the impact that team had on basketball in this state, every major paper in Kentucky ran cover stories on the team along with all the starters becoming household names throughout the state. Northern Kentucky University would definately receive a major PR boost if the team reunited next year in Highland Heights!

 

How would they compete if they basically got a high school team that hade "some" success? They need a few local kids and a few high impact D1 transfers. It's seemingly how they've been successful since their really good run. I think if they were trying the high school team reunion they should have gone after all the Holmes kids.

I think you all are underestimating the impact that team had on basketball in this state, every major paper in Kentucky ran cover stories on the team along with all the starters becoming household names throughout the state. Northern Kentucky University would definately receive a major PR boost if the team reunited next year in Highland Heights!

 

Household names? I could guarantee you that over 75% of Kentucky has no idea who you are talking about or may have heard of the Elliott County team but have no idea who there players are.

 

High school is completely different from college. Just because they had some success at the high school level, doesn't mean it will translate over to the college game (as is evident by the Faulkners' stats this year).

 

Also besides Lexington Papers (and maybe some in Louisville), I don't think every major newspaper covered the team (I know in NKY they didn't, besides saying Holmes dominated them that year).

 

NKU has had major success as a team over the these years and its been because of the system the coach there has in place. He knows who he wants, and how they will operate in his system. It may give him a temporary boost in the PR department, but will it produce on the court? They have some high major talent on their team that exceeds the Elliott County boys and its shown. If he doesn't translate to the court well, you could see their attendance numbers go down even further as well as having a bad basketball team.

 

Basically right now, NKU has a great product on the court and it would be foolish to mess with it right now. If the coach there believes it will improve his team go ahead, but don't recruit the players just to put butts in the seats because that could very well backfire.

I think you all are underestimating the impact that team had on basketball in this state, every major paper in Kentucky ran cover stories on the team along with all the starters becoming household names throughout the state. Northern Kentucky University would definately receive a major PR boost if the team reunited next year in Highland Heights!

 

How would they compete if they basically got a high school team that hade "some" success? They need a few local kids and a few high impact D1 transfers. It's seemingly how they've been successful since their really good run. I think if they were trying the high school team reunion they should have gone after all the Holmes kids.

 

I agree.

 

Field the following team, and that would be one heck of a team:

 

Austin Hill

Arrez Henderson

Jamel Riley

Ricardo Johnson

Jeremiah Johnson

Elijah Pittman

Greg Rice

 

You put those 7 guys together and they'd compete nationally with anyone.

If Ferguson comes to Highland Heights and throws down some NBA 3's, more power to him. If he can rekindle some of the Elliott County magic with the Faulkners, great. Reports over the past couple of years had NKU recruiting a couple Holmes players including Arrez and Jeremiah. I would have enjoyed watching them play as well. When I watch the Norse play, I pull for all of the players regardless of where they went to high school. I am for anything that helps NKU return to the glory days when Cov. Cath graduate Coach Ken Shields and Cov. Cath. graduate Kevin Listerman and Cov. Cath graduate Andy Listerman led the Norse to the promised land. :D

If Ferguson comes to Highland Heights and throws down some NBA 3's, more power to him. If he can rekindle some of the Elliott County magic with the Faulkners, great. Reports over the past couple of years had NKU recruiting a couple Holmes players including Arrez and Jeremiah. I would have enjoyed watching them play as well. When I watch the Norse play, I pull for all of the players regardless of where they went to high school. I am for anything that helps NKU return to the glory days when Cov. Cath graduate Coach Ken Shields and Cov. Cath. graduate Kevin Listerman and Cov. Cath graduate Andy Listerman led the Norse to the promised land. :D

 

The glory days and the buzz for NKU couldn't even sell out the dinky Louisville Gardens for the d-2 championship game. NKU must go d-1 or the only buzz is a buzz-kill.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.