May 10, 201016 yr That's why so many have expressed their support for Ferg to NKU because many believe he would help draw a larger crowd to the BOK with all the media attention Elliott received through the years. NKU would receive more in economic terms by awarding Ferg the four year schlorship than it would actually cost by added ticket sales! Zero truth to any of the above. 95% of basketball fans in NKY do not know who Ferg is, where Elliott County is, or how good they were TWO years ago as a team. I'd like to have him simply because I think he can play. He , by himself, will have zero economic impact on the program.
May 10, 201016 yr Zero truth to any of the above. 95% of basketball fans in NKY do not know who Ferg is, where Elliott County is, or how good they were TWO years ago as a team. I'd like to have him simply because I think he can play. He , by himself, will have zero economic impact on the program. I was going to say the same thing. :thumb:
May 10, 201016 yr I've stayed out of this argument because its not my place to be talking about a potential recruit here at NKU....which I have no idea if he was/is ever coming here....BUT the above statement needs to be corrected in my opinion. It has been said over and over again in the last couple weeks that NKU is NOT going Division I any time soon. There simply is no good reason to do so right now especially with the money that would be needed to be Division I. Do I see a move to DI in the future, unfortunately yes, BUT I don't think it would be coming any time within the next 5-10 years because of how much mone would be needed to do so. Well then why was there a 160 page document presented to the board last week? It was in there that they think the move should be after next year.
May 10, 201016 yr That's why so many have expressed their support for Ferg to NKU because many believe he would help draw a larger crowd to the BOK with all the media attention Elliott received through the years. NKU would receive more in economic terms by awarding Ferg the four year schlorship than it would actually cost by added ticket sales! I greatly respect your love to the Lions, but I think the attendance figure would be about a +3 each game due to Ferg. That would be Ferg Sr., Mrs. Ferg and a guest. They had Ethan last season and the attendance didn't go up. Now, I will say this - I have no doubts that Ferguson can contribute alot to a DII program. He has put on 15 pounds of muscle and is strong enough to play at that level now.
May 10, 201016 yr Well then why was there a 160 page document presented to the board last week? It was in there that they think the move should be after next year. The document laid out the feasibility of the move. The NCAA moratorium ends August 2011, they could not even apply until then. If they do apply the application fee is a minimum of $900,000. On top of that the study showed an additional 3.7 million in expenses not including the application fee. This would be an increase in Administrative, scholarships, salaries, etc. The study did not give a time table other than if they decide to move forward for 2011 they would need to do so by January 2011. This still has to be voted on by the Board of Regents, but with state funding cut and academic programs at risk I doubt they would vote to make the move next year. Don't want to thread jack this away from Ferg, but wanted to give the facts.
May 11, 201016 yr What you all are failing to realize is that Northern has virutually zero recognition outside of the counties of Boone, Campbell and Kenton in the state of Kentucky! A Jonathan Ferguson type player or other state tournament legend if they were on the Northern roster might help the Norse mend some bridges or extend the olive branch in this state. If Northern ever wants to go D-1 they must cultivate a relationship with fans or at least create a fan base that is not going to be Bearcats or Muskies fans first. In the rural counties outside of the three I named earlier you can bet they have heard of the Elliott County Lions and Ferg along with the Knipp's and Faulkners. Elliott County had a great deal of followers they picked up along the ride than any on this site want to admit!
May 11, 201016 yr What you all are failing to realize is that Northern has virutually zero recognition outside of the counties of Boone, Campbell and Kenton in the state of Kentucky! A Jonathan Ferguson type player or other state tournament legend if they were on the Northern roster might help the Norse mend some bridges or extend the olive branch in this state. If Northern ever wants to go D-1 they must cultivate a relationship with fans or at least create a fan base that is not going to be Bearcats or Muskies fans first. In the rural counties outside of the three I named earlier you can bet they have heard of the Elliott County Lions and Ferg along with the Knipp's and Faulkners. Elliott County had a great deal of followers they picked up along the ride than any on this site want to admit! Olive branch? Are they going to load up busses in EC and head to Highlands Heights on a regular basis? If they do go D-1 a)they're not limiting their recruiting to KY and b)kids that aren't giving NKU looks today because of their desire to play D1 are now going to look. Having Ferg on the team now will haver zero influence on a future recruit looking at NKU/D1. I think Ferg can help NKU be a better team. If they get better AND they start winning more THEN they will see some increase in ticket sales. However, its a collective effort that will lead to that result.
May 11, 201016 yr Kentucky Wesleyan was a lot better team than NKU last season. IMO NKU would be a lot better off developing his players from within than shopping around for transfers every year. (I would not put Ferg. in this category as he did not play at Morehead.) Then maybe Bezold could manage his scholarship dollars better. I just checked KWC's roster and all ten of the players listed were from other schools.
May 13, 201016 yr I just checked KWC's roster and all ten of the players listed were from other schools. I didn't post that they did a good job of developing. Many of the D2 schools live off of transfers down from D1. But, many of them would be better off and have a lot more integrity if they would develop players.
May 13, 201016 yr Northern Kentucky's recruiting stategy has changed so much over the years with the Shields era being mostly all GCL players but give credit with Bezold for looking outside that box. Northern needs to identify itself with the state of Kentucky more and not be considered Southern Ohio University by most of the Commonwealth's residents. It should occur to them and all others the strugles they have to get funding in Frankfort is because of that identity described above. Dr. Vortruba has a great vision for the place and should use the one thing that unites all Kentuckians more than anything else in basketball to serve as his vehicle to accomplish what he wants for the institution. I just think getting more players that the normal Kentuckian can identify with, Ferg, would pay dividends for Northern in later years.
May 13, 201016 yr That being said----Any updates on Ferguson and what is anybody hearing? I know many want to say the Kentucky rumor is dead but it seems to be picking up steam in Sandy Hook again so I guess only time will tell.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.