Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jonathan Ferguson

Featured Replies

After the emotionally draining 2009 season for Elliott County Ferg had every right to want to take a break! Nobody on here truly comprehends what those boys went through unless you saw it in person and up close. And, how truly has it affected his college choices, may schools have contacted him and made offers for his services?

 

Every player who plays basketball has a emotionally draining time. That is a cop out if I've ever heard one. There may be some underlying issues at hand that the family does not want to disclose but to say it was because he was drained is just an excuse because every player is drained at the end of a season, but yet they continue and move on.

  • Replies 260
  • Views 37.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ferguson will be taking at least 2 visits this coming week. A decision should be coming after that...

Every player who plays basketball has a emotionally draining time. That is a cop out if I've ever heard one. There may be some underlying issues at hand that the family does not want to disclose but to say it was because he was drained is just an excuse because every player is drained at the end of a season, but yet they continue and move on.

Did you not read the post above your's? It plainly disclose's why he didn't play. It for sure wasn't because he needed a break.

[/b]

Did you not read the post above your's? It plainly disclose's why he didn't play. It for sure wasn't because he needed a break.

 

Yes I read and I quoted who I was implying my post too. It wasn't directed towards your post at all. I was quoting his post and what he said.

Well whatever the reason, love, break or studies, it was his decision and we all should respect it as it is. I totally agree with another poster stating we should not belittle the kid, we should be hoping for the best from him on whatever he decides.

Well whatever the reason, love, break or studies, it was his decision and we all should respect it as it is. I totally agree with another poster stating we should not belittle the kid, we should be hoping for the best from him on whatever he decides.

 

My whole point is that its tough enough to play D1 or D2 basketball, and when you take a year off, it is 1,000 X more difficult. I posted a thread a few weeks back asking how many players have taken a year off between high school and college-only 2 football players were named along with Derek Smith playing for NKU after his stint with the Bengals. Nobody could name anyone else in this scenario.

 

There are thousands of kids across the country that are 6'1" and can shoot the ball. College coaches have more of those types of players at their disposal than any. If we were discussing someone 6'10", its a different story just because there aren't as many of them. Why would a college coach (when his job is consistently on the line) take a chance on someone who takes a year off when there are thousands of similar players who are in the same mold?

 

Just ask Gametime how many 6'1" shooters with avg quickness he sees on a daily basis on the recruting trail. When one gets hurt, or takes a year off like this scenario, coaches just move on to the next one. Heck, NKU has 4 or 5 guys that are already in that mold.

 

Every 18 yr athlete is emotionally drained and is promised the world by a high school sweetheart. I just feel those are 2 poor excuses to not playing.

 

In the last few years, it seems many people feel that college athletics are a sense of entitlement. Of the top of my head, there are roughly 500 D1 and D2 schools in the country that give 3 scholarships each year. Out of 50 states, there are at least 20,000 high schools with an avg of 5 seniors in each class. Point being, its tough enough to get a scholarship one year (1.5 out of 100). When you throw in another group of graduating seniors, it is that much more difficult.

 

I loved watching Elliot play-they were very exciting and played true team basketball. I am not belittleing anyone-I just think people need to be more realistic about the challenges of playing at a high level of college basketball. The excuses of emotional drained and girlfriends are the same story every year, just a different name.

It must not hurt to bad to take off a year because most of the Coaches who hav watched Ferg play in the last few weeks have made the statement that they thought he was stronger, quicker and better than in high school. Also his quickness never was average. He blew the door's of more than one D1 talent at UK several time's. He also ran 40 in 4.5 It also didn't affect him very bad because NKU offered him 4years if someone transfered over the summer and three if they didn't and he didn't accept. And right now he has two or three schools that are going to give him a chance if he want's to play for them. Course those Coache's probably don't know as much about it as you do. The Lexington Hearld and others also reported that Ferg was one of very few players(like three i think) of his caliber to not go on and play at the next level in history of Ky high school basketball, so the sweetheart syndrome and meltdown is not as common as you are letting on. Moral of the story....the year off is not a big factor because Ferg will be playing :D

Seems you have a real inside track on some information, you mentioned UK so I will ask you straight up has there been any contact with Cal? That rumor will not die from many people even around Lexington, was he actually on campus or was this just a pick-up type game somewhere?

Ferg was screwed over by one school and isn't playing at NKU. He does have a few other options that I'll mention as soon as the head Ferguson says it's ok.
Pardon our skepticism, but we kept hearing how many "options" he was supposed to have as a senior ... and how many of those actually materialized?
Pardon our skepticism, but we kept hearing how many "options" he was supposed to have as a senior ... and how many of those actually materialized?

I will pardon your skepticism. As I stated before I know for a FACT, he could have played at 4 D1 schools right out of high school(one was walkon others were scholar) + two D2's and handful of NAIA. His Dad and I are very close friends. As of today, right now ..... he is being looked at, discussed, settin up visit's, etc etc, at one D1, two D2's, and an NAIA school that are very interested. Some have offered already and others need to see if the motor still run's!LOL:lol:

I will pardon your skepticism. As I stated before I know for a FACT, he could have played at 4 D1 schools right out of high school(one was walkon others were scholar) + two D2's and handful of NAIA. His Dad and I are very close friends. As of today, right now ..... he is being looked at, discussed, settin up visit's, etc etc, at one D1, two D2's, and an NAIA school that are very interested. Some have offered already and others need to see if the motor still run's!LOL:lol:
What schools? And what were the offers?

By the way none of them is UK...Snappy502! You can tell your source he is wrong.

What schools? And what were the offers?

 

I don't know if you know Dale or not Westsider, but if you do you know that he is a hardcore old fashioned person. If your his friend and he trusts you with information, as he has myself and evidently Wireman(who also won't discuss names either) you don't break his trust because he would never ever fool with you again.

He doesn't want to have to read about ...He can't play there ...no way he is good enough for that school blah, blah, blah! If you would like his cell # pm me and I will give it to you and you can call him. You will then find that everything i have posted is the truth!

I don't know if you know Dale or not Westsider, but if you do you know that he is a hardcore old fashioned person. If your his friend and he trusts you with information, as he has myself and evidently Wireman(who also won't discuss names either) you don't break his trust because he would never ever fool with you again.

He doesn't want to have to read about ...He can't play there ...no way he is good enough for that school blah, blah, blah! If you would like his cell # pm me and I will give it to you and you can call him. You will then find that everything i have posted is the truth!

I doubt that I am his favorite poster, but I've actually met Dale.

 

You can't reveal the offers you say he had a year ago?

Much talk...no action.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.