Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What Irks You Most About UK Fans?

Featured Replies

It also irks me when UK fans see an obvious UK 18%er make a post and then see you respond to the post but hold it against you when you respond. Some of us have a hard time tolerating 18%ers from the UK side and I have no problem responding to a UK 18%er. Like most UK fans(a number much higher than 18%) they aren't listening anyways.

 

UK is probably the only team who receives a lot of its hate because of their fans. Almost forgot about Maryland.

  • Replies 179
  • Views 22.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't read a single post in this thread, and most likely won't.

 

The answer for me is simple, the arrogance and sense of entitlement the majority of UK fans have. Makes me embarrassed to be a UK fan many a times.

It's a UK thing and the rest of you will never understand.

 

Exhibit A...

 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I don't like about some of the UK fans is, their bad language,these kind of fans don't have any respect for the fans sitting around them. And its not just UK fans either.

What I don't like about some of the UK fans is, their bad language,these kind of fans don't have any respect for the fans sitting around them. And its not just UK fans either.

 

Until you said the last part I was going to suggest you never go and watch a big time football program live, especially in the South. Every fan base is going to have people cursing at the games, people just like to curse.

What I don't like about some of the UK fans is, their bad language,these kind of fans don't have any respect for the fans sitting around them. And its not just UK fans either.

 

That's more of a reflection of society as a whole than UK fans -- Or even just sports fans.

There are in all likelihood the following "types" of fans that follow every team. We just hear the Kentucky basketball fans because of geography, and because there are so many. Here's a short list:

 

1. The fan that doesn't respect the effort and the play of another team. Kentucky got cheated, the stripes made a bad call, somebody traveled and it wasn't called, etc. Sometimes the other team plays well and deserves to win. Then, of course, there's the flip side...

 

2. ..."Kentucky gets everybody's A-game." If that's the case, why doesn't Kentucky respond with an A-game? The notion that every team cares more about beating Kentucky than Kentucky cares about beating them seems far-fetched.

 

3. "I hate Duke". I hate Roy Williams." "I hate Kansas." Why do you hate Roy Williams? "Because they beat Kentucky real bad in a game years ago." If the fans hated every player, team and coach that ever beat Kentucky when they shouldn't have, or by more than they should have (however many that is), the list would be long indeed. (And maybe it is.)

 

4. The fans that revel as much or more in an opponent's/rival's misfortune than in Kentucky's good fortune. Fortunately, the more success that Kentucky is having, the less that fans seem to exhibit this behavior.

 

5. Paranoids. "The NCAA hates us, Duke gets all the breaks". "CBS isn't sending their A-team of broadcasters to cover us" (I got a kick out of that one).

 

Again, I feel certain that EVERY team has its share of the above. We just happen to see it from Kentucky fans because that's who's here. We wouldn't be talking about Kentucky fans too much if we lived in Pocatello, Idaho.

 

That and the impact of sheer numbers. If 5% of everybody are morons and there are 3 million Kentucky basketball fans, it is likely that there are somewhere around 150,000 moronic Kentucky basketball fans. If 5% of everybody are morons and if there are 30,000 Idaho State basketball fans, there are probably something in the neighborhood of 1,500 moronic Idaho State basketball fans. And most of them are a couple thousand miles away and not spending a lot of time on local message boards.

It also irks me when UK fans see an obvious UK 18%er make a post and then see you respond to the post but hold it against you when you respond. Some of us have a hard time tolerating 18%ers from the UK side and I have no problem responding to a UK 18%er. Like most UK fans(a number much higher than 18%) they aren't listening anyways.

 

UK is probably the only team who receives a lot of its hate because of their fans. Almost forgot about Maryland.

 

UT also does.

There are in all likelihood the following "types" of fans that follow every team. We just hear the Kentucky basketball fans because of geography, and because there are so many. Here's a short list:

 

1. The fan that doesn't respect the effort and the play of another team. Kentucky got cheated, the stripes made a bad call, somebody traveled and it wasn't called, etc. Sometimes the other team plays well and deserves to win. Then, of course, there's the flip side...

 

2. ..."Kentucky gets everybody's A-game." If that's the case, why doesn't Kentucky respond with an A-game? The notion that every team cares more about beating Kentucky than Kentucky cares about beating them seems far-fetched.

 

3. "I hate Duke". I hate Roy Williams." "I hate Kansas." Why do you hate Roy Williams? "Because they beat Kentucky real bad in a game years ago." If the fans hated every player, team and coach that ever beat Kentucky when they shouldn't have, or by more than they should have (however many that is), the list would be long indeed. (And maybe it is.)

 

4. The fans that revel as much or more in an opponent's/rival's misfortune than in Kentucky's good fortune. Fortunately, the more success that Kentucky is having, the less that fans seem to exhibit this behavior.

 

5. Paranoids. "The NCAA hates us, Duke gets all the breaks". "CBS isn't sending their A-team of broadcasters to cover us" (I got a kick out of that one).

 

Again, I feel certain that EVERY team has its share of the above. We just happen to see it from Kentucky fans because that's who's here. We wouldn't be talking about Kentucky fans too much if we lived in Pocatello, Idaho.

 

That and the impact of sheer numbers. If 5% of everybody are morons and there are 3 million Kentucky basketball fans, it is likely that there are somewhere around 150,000 moronic Kentucky basketball fans. If 5% of everybody are morons and if there are 30,000 Idaho State basketball fans, there are probably something in the neighborhood of 1,500 moronic Idaho State basketball fans. And most of them are a couple thousand miles away and not spending a lot of time on local message boards.

 

#4 is what this thread is made of. Which I find to be very ironic. "Why do I hate UK fans?" because they do the same things as me. That should be the response from most of the anti UK crowd. If you don't believe me read their posts.

 

Classic example:

 

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=202710

When a UK fan says something absolutely ridiculous and several others come to their aid, not because they agree with what was said, but because they're UK fans.

 

Also when they start threads about their behavior as a fan base, and talk about that for days on end without ever really talking about the basketball team. I know there are Florida Gator Football, Atlanta Braves, Boston Celtics, and Minnesota Vikings fans that are the same way, but it seems to stick out more with UK fans than any other group.

When a UK fan says something absolutely ridiculous and several others come to their aid, not because they agree with what was said, but because they're UK fans.

 

Also when they start threads about their behavior as a fan base, and talk about that for days on end without ever really talking about the basketball team. I know there are Florida Gator Football, Atlanta Braves, Boston Celtics, and Minnesota Vikings fans that are the same way, but it seems to stick out more with UK fans than any other group.

 

:lol::thumb:

As a UK fan, here is what irks me about some UK fans:

 

1) "You can't be the fan of more than one team. It's UK only or you're not a TRUE fan." As a WKU grad, I'll cheer for them over any other team. However, I don't get to see many WKU games in the area that I live in (NCKY) so I have ALSO remained a UK fan. Even worse, in all games except against WKU or UK, I also cheer for UofL. :scared: I had to stop caring a long time ago about the opinions of those people. :lol: BTW, I have some acquaintances from WKU that act similarly. I'm not a "true" WKU fan, because I am also a UK fan. "How can you be a fan of a school you never attended?" Well, the same way that you cheer for the Cincinnati Reds and have never lived in Cincinnati.

 

2) The ones last year that laughed when UofL lost in the NCAA tournament. You really made yourselves look like an idiot doing this when UK wasn't even in the tournament. :rolleyes: Again, I was told that I wasn't a true UK fan if I didn't jump in on the fun, much less not support it.

 

This was almost trumped this year by the WKU and UofL fans that celebrated when UK lost their first game this year. I liken it to a ballgame in which the opposing team is down by 30 with a minute left to go and the home team air balls a shot...and the opposing fans begin "AIR BALL!" Just brilliant. :ohbrother:

 

The bottom line is that I don't believe that any team (UK, UofL, WKU) has the monopoly on stupid fan behavior. And I do mean stupid.

#4 is what this thread is made of. Which I find to be very ironic. "Why do I hate UK fans?" because they do the same things as me. That should be the response from most of the anti UK crowd. If you don't believe me read their posts.

 

Classic example:

 

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=202710

 

Just for me personally(since I started that thread) I need you to be more specific. Are you talking about Jim's post, or the whole thread? I'm kind of lost as to what you are getting at but if cleared up I'd like to try to explain.

As a UK fan, here is what irks me about some UK fans:

 

1) "You can't be the fan of more than one team. It's UK only or you're not a TRUE fan." As a WKU grad, I'll cheer for them over any other team. However, I don't get to see many WKU games in the area that I live in (NCKY) so I have ALSO remained a UK fan. Even worse, in all games except against WKU or UK, I also cheer for UofL. :scared: I had to stop caring a long time ago about the opinions of those people. :lol: BTW, I have some acquaintances from WKU that act similarly. I'm not a "true" WKU fan, because I am also a UK fan. "How can you be a fan of a school you never attended?" Well, the same way that you cheer for the Cincinnati Reds and have never lived in Cincinnati.

 

2) The ones last year that laughed when UofL lost in the NCAA tournament. You really made yourselves look like an idiot doing this when UK wasn't even in the tournament. :rolleyes: Again, I was told that I wasn't a true UK fan if I didn't jump in on the fun, much less not support it.

 

This was almost trumped this year by the WKU and UofL fans that celebrated when UK lost their first game this year. I liken it to a ballgame in which the opposing team is down by 30 with a minute left to go and the home team air balls a shot...and the opposing fans begin "AIR BALL!" Just brilliant. :ohbrother:

 

The bottom line is that I don't believe that any team (UK, UofL, WKU) has the monopoly on stupid fan behavior. And I do mean stupid.

 

Good post TB&G. :thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.