Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BBA - No Accountability

Featured Replies

While noble it would not be the right move IMO. As soon as you do that a player/parent/fan/principal is going to mention the bad call earlier in the game that cost your team 2 points. Is one call worthy and one call not worthy even though you thought both were wrong?

 

In addition, the coach didn't have the ability to see a replay so how would he know for sure?

 

It would be the wrong move IMO.

 

 

 

It wasn't even close. Everybody but the officials had to know.

  • Replies 201
  • Views 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of who the refs are in any game, people are going to be displeased with the performance of the crew. However, these refs were selected to work the Regional Tournament for a reason. I think it is unfair to say that certain crew members should not be allowed to work any more games or be completely dismissed because of one bad call. Now, that was a huge call, but if any other person in their own profession made one mistake, would it be fair to fire them from their job?[/QUOTE]

 

The bolded is a great point. In my profession, if we make a blatant design mistake, we are held accountable, there are risks of litigation and the potential of claims that have to be paid for obvious mistakes.

 

I realize that basketball is just a game, but there should be accountability.

 

The other thing that I notice with many of these BBA refs that call 11th region games, is that they have "rabbit ears". I have witnessed them making calls against a team because a coach or someone in the stands is getting on to them. I have even heard of one of these refs making the comment to a very good source I know, "what people need to know (coaches and parents) is that we (the refs) have the power of the whistle."

 

I understand that officiating is a thankless job, but there does need to be some level of professionalism among referees.

It wasn't even close. Everybody but the officials had to know.

 

That's not the point.

 

So the coach of the "winning" team walks over to the other coach and says "Coach, that ball was obviously in before the buzzer so you guys win." Do you then expect the other coach to say "While I appreciate the gesture, my guy actually traveled on the play when we started the play near mid-court but it wasn't called so you guys go ahead and keep the victory."

 

Is the travel somehow less important than the made basket? Had the travel been called we would never have gotten to this discussion.

I wonder if Franklin Co. made all their free throws and all their layups in this game.

 

If not, the coach should have spent more time on the free throw line in practice and working on layups.

I wonder if Franklin Co. made all their free throws and all their layups in this game.

 

If not, the coach should have spent more time on the free throw line in practice and working on layups.

 

That's a bit much. Coaches expect officials to make the correct calls most of the time. Most realize calls are going to be missed. Its just not acceptable to miss 2 calls on one play when its the last play of the game for such an important game.

May be a little off topic, but the officiating in tonight's 10th Region final was pretty decent. Every crew is going to miss a call or two, but nothing tonight that affected the outcome of a 2-point game.

 

Seemed more like a college game and I liked it. Very young crew for a final, was surprised to see all three together but thought they handled themselves very well.

That's a bit much. Coaches expect officials to make the correct calls most of the time. Most realize calls are going to be missed. Its just not acceptable to miss 2 calls on one play when its the last play of the game for such an important game.

 

 

So, players shouldn't be expected to make free throws and layups?

 

This whole conversation is a bit much. We are talking about HS officials. I am amazed of the quality I see most games. Its pretty darn good.

 

One of the NFL's best blew a game two seasons ago for San Diego I believe. Replay could not be used to correct it. He still calls games and while he is a professional he still has a day job. He doesn't spend 24/7 living being an NFL official.

 

Things happen. Believe it not, these kids will grow from it. The officials will get better from it.

So, players shouldn't be expected to make free throws and layups?

 

This whole conversation is a bit much. We are talking about HS officials. I am amazed of the quality I see most games. Its pretty darn good.

 

One of the NFL's best blew a game two seasons ago for San Diego I believe. Replay could not be used to correct it. He still calls games and while he is a professional he still has a day job. He doesn't spend 24/7 living being an NFL official.

 

Things happen. Believe it not, these kids will grow from it. The officials will get better from it.

 

I am an official so I know calls are missed. After each game I replay in my mind calls that I either missed or may have missed. I then watch college games and see calls missed which reminds me that it happens.

 

However, I understand fans being upset on a call that has such an impact. Its a normal reaction. What's out of line is suggesting that these guys never officiate again.

That's not the point.

 

So the coach of the "winning" team walks over to the other coach and says "Coach, that ball was obviously in before the buzzer so you guys win." Do you then expect the other coach to say "While I appreciate the gesture, my guy actually traveled on the play when we started the play near mid-court but it wasn't called so you guys go ahead and keep the victory."

 

Is the travel somehow less important than the made basket? Had the travel been called we would never have gotten to this discussion.

 

Not second guessing you Clyde, because I have alot of respect for your wisdom of the game, But I have watched this clip over and over, and I have yet to find a walk..I guess I must try to watch it again.

I am an official so I know calls are missed. After each game I replay in my mind calls that I either missed or may have missed. I then watch college games and see calls missed which reminds me that it happens.

 

However, I understand fans being upset on a call that has such an impact. Its a normal reaction. What's out of line is suggesting that these guys never officiate again.

 

I understand and agree. I'm just making the point that while a last second shot gets all the focus, I'm sure many things happened throughout the night by the coaches and players that would have avoided a last second event.

  • Author
So, players shouldn't be expected to make free throws and layups?

 

This whole conversation is a bit much. We are talking about HS officials. I am amazed of the quality I see most games. Its pretty darn good.

 

One of the NFL's best blew a game two seasons ago for San Diego I believe. Replay could not be used to correct it. He still calls games and while he is a professional he still has a day job. He doesn't spend 24/7 living being an NFL official.

 

Things happen. Believe it not, these kids will grow from it. The officials will get better from it.

 

This post leads into my point exactly. The NFL crew you speak of did call games again, but they were suspended from post-season that year. They were held accountable for their mistake, and then they moved on. That is all I am saying.

 

There is no way any member of the crew from the FC vc HC game should have been calling the very next game in the tournament or any game the rest of this post season. That is simply saying that the actions of the referees don't mean anything and they are not accountable for what they do.

This post leads into my point exactly. The NFL crew you speak of did call games again, but they were suspended from post-season that year. They were held accountable for their mistake, and then they moved on. That is all I am saying.

 

There is no way any member of the crew from the FC vc HC game should have been calling the very next game in the tournament or any game the rest of this post season. That is simply saying that the actions of the referees don't mean anything and they are not accountable for what they do.

 

It is my understanding from talking to some of the people at the 10th region tournament last night, that they did loose the finals this year.:sssh:

 

I hope this will atleast make you feel a little better, as it seems you were not going to let it die.

 

I had a friend of mine yesterday make a good point. I run a succesful business and on a project a team of people are working together. They are about to complete the project and one of the members makes a mistake and we loose alot of money. Would I fire the whole team which has some outstanding individual people that bring alot to the table for this company, or do I suspend or fire the individual that caused the mistake.

 

Think on that:sssh:

This is a question... Do high school basketball referees work in crews or are they individuals that work with these two on Monday night and these two on Tuesday night etc?

This is a question... Do high school basketball referees work in crews or are they individuals that work with these two on Monday night and these two on Tuesday night etc?

 

No crews that I am aware of in the state. Officials A, B and C may work together one night and then A is with D and E the next night, B is with F and G, etc.

It is my understanding from talking to some of the people at the 10th region tournament last night, that they did loose the finals this year.:sssh:

 

I hope this will atleast make you feel a little better, as it seems you were not going to let it die.

 

I had a friend of mine yesterday make a good point. I run a succesful business and on a project a team of people are working together. They are about to complete the project and one of the members makes a mistake and we loose alot of money. Would I fire the whole team which has some outstanding individual people that bring alot to the table for this company, or do I suspend or fire the individual that caused the mistake.

 

Think on that:sssh:

 

 

Why didn't the other members of the team find the mistake and correct it? I would wonder about that too?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.