Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BBA - No Accountability

Featured Replies

If officials would call what they are supposed to call, then even a monkey would stop standing in the lane, stop pushing, stop hand checking, stop walking, etc. If officials would do their job, then the game might resemble "Basketball". They get paid so they should be publicly accountable! The KHSAA publicly lists player and coach suspensions and fines, referees should fall under the same guise.

 

Everybody loves to see a referee screw up because most of them are jerks!

 

How many have you seen? The KHSAA web site lists over 1750 registered officials in KY.

  • Replies 201
  • Views 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More of a problem than the BBA and the officials is the ignorance and stupidity of the parents/fans yelling either at officials or at their own coaches.

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I did not know KHSAA used professional referees.

 

As much as I scream at refs, I also know they are not perfect. He who is without "bad calls" throw the first "suspension".

 

 

I wasn't aware officials did the games for free. That has to be one of the worse calls I've ever seen. Everybody in the gym had to know the tip in was before the buzzer. I think the KHSAA should have stepped in, and awarded the game to Franklin County.

I've seen just about all of them in the BBA and KBOA, and worked with most of them in the KBOA.

As a coach could you accept a win that you know you honestly lost? I know it's easy to say right now, but I honestly don't think I could. I know it wouldn't be a popular decision with your players or fans, but it would have been the right thing to do to go to the officials and tell them the basket was good. Can you imagine the positive publicity that coach would have gotten across the nation.

This cannot be defended, they simple do not need to ref again........we are not talking about a judgment call, we are talking about a call that is black and white.

 

They signed up for the job, if they cannot make the right call in that situation then cannot take the criticism that comes along with MISSING the call then they need to do something else as a hobby.

 

 

That missed call is on the verge of just plain out cheating.............

I was not at the game that started this, but sometimes coaches can put their players in "no win" situations, which is bad for the player. Referees are humans with human emotions. They react to their emotions as does any other human. I witnessed a game this year where a coach called a ref " an idiot". I could not figure out why he did not get a T, but he did not get one. But , as fate would have it, this coach did not get any close calls toward the end of the game and his team lost. Did the players lose? No, they played their hearts out. The coach lost this game. I am not saying to "sit on the bench and never open your mouth". But there are tactful ways to argue your calls or point out things without humiliating the referee. And this is true in all sports. I have always heard in baseball/softball that a pitcher or a batter had better never humilate the plate umpire or they could see a drastic change in the strike zone.

I'm sure we all have a great story to tell about a ref but, let me tell you about this one. Happened during a freshman game and yes, the two refs were licensed. The home team has the ball with a few seconds left in the game, under their own basket, and calls for a timeout. Timeout is over and the ref hands the ball to the player to be put in play, the ref blows his whistle after three seconds and we're wondering what the crap is going on. Coach yells that we didn't call timeout and the ref say it's a three seconds call on a home team player who was standing in the lane...the honest truth and the other official nor other coach didn't dispute this! It was reported to the assigning sec, and yes we've seen him again and again. :eek:

With the technology we have today and the internet, why can't coaches rate officials after every game, have it so that the coach cannot do it until the next day, officials also can rate themselves for that game, every coach can rate, thqt way you eliminate out of region disparities in officiating that we all know happens. It would level the playing field. use the ratings to assign at end of year, you could also leave notes of specific incidents ect that warrant action two sides to every story i guess

 

Mandate that all coaches must rate, all the assigning sec sees is the cumulative ratings that way refs do not know who rated them low yes many know how coaches rate them

 

Enough of my rambling does a rating system make sense probably makes to much sense I guarantee many refs will shape up if they are accountable,

 

Think about this a game lasts an hour it may take an hour travel total ok 80 bucks two hours work hmmmm $40 bucks an hour the kids deserve the best

Take in drive time which in most cases throught the 10th and 11th Regions is atleast 1 hour and in some cases 1.5 hours and the fact they have to be there one hour before game time so that is another hour.So we are talking on the average of 4.5 hours to 5.0 hours:thumb: per game. Not counting the fuel costs and the wear and tear on their vehicles..Now do the MATH.:thumb:

 

The math isn't important, they get paid to do a job to the best of their ability. The proof is in the pudding, that call was horrendous. If a coach blows a call, the people in the community blast him. I know a ton of referee's that make more than most of the coaches in our region over the course of the year. Being a referee is a thankless job, one that all of these guys signed up for. I don't feel sorry for them when they catch heat, they knew what they were getting in to.

I'm sure we all have a great story to tell about a ref but, let me tell you about this one. Happened during a freshman game and yes, the two refs were licensed. The home team has the ball with a few seconds left in the game, under their own basket, and calls for a timeout. Timeout is over and the ref hands the ball to the player to be put in play, the ref blows his whistle after three seconds and we're wondering what the crap is going on. Coach yells that we didn't call timeout and the ref say it's a three seconds call on a home team player who was standing in the lane...the honest truth and the other official nor other coach didn't dispute this! It was reported to the assigning sec, and yes we've seen him again and again. :eek:

 

I've seen that called also. :idunno:

I fish(unprofessionally) as a hobby, and don't get paid 10,000 dollars a year to do it. Nobody ever complains about the way I cast my line either. Some of these guys might need to look for a new "Hobby."

I fish(unprofessionally) as a hobby, and don't get paid 10,000 dollars a year to do it. Nobody ever complains about the way I cast my line either. Some of these guys might need to look for a new "Hobby."

 

That's 167 high school games! You might be exaggerating a bit with the amount.

If officials would call what they are supposed to call, then even a monkey would stop standing in the lane, stop pushing, stop hand checking, stop walking, etc. If officials would do their job, then the game might resemble "Basketball". They get paid so they should be publicly accountable! The KHSAA publicly lists player and coach suspensions and fines, referees should fall under the same guise.

 

Everybody loves to see a referee screw up because most of them are jerks!

 

I love this post. My name is on that suspension list and it's absolutley absurd that I was ejected in the first place. An official comes into a game and has problem with you asking about calls, not yelling mind you, and he becomes judge jury and executioner...as a coach your hands are tied, it doesn't matter that the official didn't follow protocal after administering the first technical and continued to egg it on because when he turns in his ejection paperwork it becomes fact that what he says happened is truth.

 

I wouldn't agree that most officials are jerks, because I actually think most of them are great guys, but there are the few that take what little power they have way too far, but when criticising those few officials you then become the bad guy. What gives?

That's 167 high school games! You might be exaggerating a bit with the amount.

 

Maybe I was thinking of those that do multiple sports, like football and basketball. Either way they get paid to do a job. I just don't understand how referee's are above criticism and all others including 16 to 18 year old kids aren't.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.