Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BBA - No Accountability

Featured Replies

I have been told to not post about officiating on this forum but I have finally got to say something because I am tired of this crap...

 

I have been officiating for 25 years been to the show in 3 major sports and officiated many regional finals so I believe that qualifies me to make the following statments:

 

The BBA supervisor has suspended at least 20 officials for missing rules this year, I know because I was one of them. We are held to a very high standard and every night we are officiating a state tournament caliber game, very intense, very athletic and we love it, that's why we do it, for the love of the game.

 

When I go ref a game I usually end up loosing money by the time I get back paying for gas and the time I spend on the road, we most definitely do not referee high school for the money.

 

The referees in question were disciplined but that is a personnel issue and will not be discussed in this forum and that is why you haven't heard anything about it, we are held to a much higher standard than any other officiating group in the state of Kentucky and we love it that way, that is why I continue to drive 2 hours on the average one way to ref a high school game because we have the best basketball in the state night in and night out to officiate and the best officials and we do it for the kids, I know that is why I am there, to give something back to the game that I love and for the kids and that is why all the officials I work with are there as well.

 

If you think these three officials aren't sick over this and it doesn't haunt them then you are sadly mistaken, the last thing a great official wants to do is miss a call, much less one that decides the outcome of a game, but to be chastised, ridiculed and talked about like a dog on here and other public forums is completely uncalled for, instead of doing this we all need to get together to see what we can do to make this situation better for us all.

 

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to have replay monitors starting at the regional tournament, in the regional final in the 11th I saw 15 monitors and 5 of them were running instant replays. Money is the issue I keep hearing come up, well, Title IX there are grants available to do some things with sports for young women and putting sports broadcasting in as part of a curriculum at a school that wants to host the a region would be something that should be able to be done. This would give the students professional training all year during the regular season and maybe bring some professionals in to assist during tournament time. Why not try? Has to be some funding somewhere to get this done...

 

The only thing I am hearing on here is negative comments and reasons why we can't make it better, if high school referees are going to be held accountable to this extent then we need the tools, resources and technology available to get the calls right, if we continue to ridicule officials for missing calls, we all do, we are human and its going to happen again, then we need to do this or you that are complaining get off your butts and get out on the floor with us and try and make a positive difference.

 

I can tell you this, if we don't do something then we are going to start loosing some veteran officials, again I don't do it for the money, I go in the hole every time I get in the car to travel and the majority of us do it for the same reasons, and we will not get younger officials to start officiating after seeing the veteran officials get ridiculed because they are going to say, $50, nah, that's not worth it.

 

The veterans I know are going to continue strapping it on and giving everything we got until we can't physically do it any more for the love of the game. I do say instead of ridicule, chastising and putting down, find something positive out of this experience that will make a difference so it will improve the game for the kids, because that is what it is all about, we all agree on that point.

 

Thank you! I, for one, appreciate what you do! :thumb:

  • Replies 201
  • Views 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same thing happened in the Girls regional final for SK vs Walton. The ball is in the air light comes on the ball goes in and its called no good.

I have been told to not post about officiating on this forum but I have finally got to say something because I am tired of this crap...

 

I have been officiating for 25 years been to the show in 3 major sports and officiated many regional finals so I believe that qualifies me to make the following statments:

 

The BBA supervisor has suspended at least 20 officials for missing rules this year, I know because I was one of them. We are held to a very high standard and every night we are officiating a state tournament caliber game, very intense, very athletic and we love it, that's why we do it, for the love of the game.

 

When I go ref a game I usually end up loosing money by the time I get back paying for gas and the time I spend on the road, we most definitely do not referee high school for the money.

 

The referees in question were disciplined but that is a personnel issue and will not be discussed in this forum and that is why you haven't heard anything about it, we are held to a much higher standard than any other officiating group in the state of Kentucky and we love it that way, that is why I continue to drive 2 hours on the average one way to ref a high school game because we have the best basketball in the state night in and night out to officiate and the best officials and we do it for the kids, I know that is why I am there, to give something back to the game that I love and for the kids and that is why all the officials I work with are there as well.

 

If you think these three officials aren't sick over this and it doesn't haunt them then you are sadly mistaken, the last thing a great official wants to do is miss a call, much less one that decides the outcome of a game, but to be chastised, ridiculed and talked about like a dog on here and other public forums is completely uncalled for, instead of doing this we all need to get together to see what we can do to make this situation better for us all.

 

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to have replay monitors starting at the regional tournament, in the regional final in the 11th I saw 15 monitors and 5 of them were running instant replays. Money is the issue I keep hearing come up, well, Title IX there are grants available to do some things with sports for young women and putting sports broadcasting in as part of a curriculum at a school that wants to host the a region would be something that should be able to be done. This would give the students professional training all year during the regular season and maybe bring some professionals in to assist during tournament time. Why not try? Has to be some funding somewhere to get this done...

 

The only thing I am hearing on here is negative comments and reasons why we can't make it better, if high school referees are going to be held accountable to this extent then we need the tools, resources and technology available to get the calls right, if we continue to ridicule officials for missing calls, we all do, we are human and its going to happen again, then we need to do this or you that are complaining get off your butts and get out on the floor with us and try and make a positive difference.

 

I can tell you this, if we don't do something then we are going to start loosing some veteran officials, again I don't do it for the money, I go in the hole every time I get in the car to travel and the majority of us do it for the same reasons, and we will not get younger officials to start officiating after seeing the veteran officials get ridiculed because they are going to say, $50, nah, that's not worth it.

 

The veterans I know are going to continue strapping it on and giving everything we got until we can't physically do it any more for the love of the game. I do say instead of ridicule, chastising and putting down, find something positive out of this experience that will make a difference so it will improve the game for the kids, because that is what it is all about, we all agree on that point.

 

 

Great post. I for one am not going to paint the entire BBA with a broad brush over one missed call. Give me Bart Lenox, Kevin Walter, Cary Lyle, John Chamberlain (hope to see him again one of these days), and yes, Bo Queen too, over any other group of officials that's out there.

I have been told to not post about officiating on this forum but I have finally got to say something because I am tired of this crap...

 

I have been officiating for 25 years been to the show in 3 major sports and officiated many regional finals so I believe that qualifies me to make the following statments:

 

The BBA supervisor has suspended at least 20 officials for missing rules this year, I know because I was one of them. We are held to a very high standard and every night we are officiating a state tournament caliber game, very intense, very athletic and we love it, that's why we do it, for the love of the game.

 

When I go ref a game I usually end up loosing money by the time I get back paying for gas and the time I spend on the road, we most definitely do not referee high school for the money.

 

The referees in question were disciplined but that is a personnel issue and will not be discussed in this forum and that is why you haven't heard anything about it, we are held to a much higher standard than any other officiating group in the state of Kentucky and we love it that way, that is why I continue to drive 2 hours on the average one way to ref a high school game because we have the best basketball in the state night in and night out to officiate and the best officials and we do it for the kids, I know that is why I am there, to give something back to the game that I love and for the kids and that is why all the officials I work with are there as well.

 

If you think these three officials aren't sick over this and it doesn't haunt them then you are sadly mistaken, the last thing a great official wants to do is miss a call, much less one that decides the outcome of a game, but to be chastised, ridiculed and talked about like a dog on here and other public forums is completely uncalled for, instead of doing this we all need to get together to see what we can do to make this situation better for us all.

 

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to have replay monitors starting at the regional tournament, in the regional final in the 11th I saw 15 monitors and 5 of them were running instant replays. Money is the issue I keep hearing come up, well, Title IX there are grants available to do some things with sports for young women and putting sports broadcasting in as part of a curriculum at a school that wants to host the a region would be something that should be able to be done. This would give the students professional training all year during the regular season and maybe bring some professionals in to assist during tournament time. Why not try? Has to be some funding somewhere to get this done...

 

The only thing I am hearing on here is negative comments and reasons why we can't make it better, if high school referees are going to be held accountable to this extent then we need the tools, resources and technology available to get the calls right, if we continue to ridicule officials for missing calls, we all do, we are human and its going to happen again, then we need to do this or you that are complaining get off your butts and get out on the floor with us and try and make a positive difference.

 

I can tell you this, if we don't do something then we are going to start loosing some veteran officials, again I don't do it for the money, I go in the hole every time I get in the car to travel and the majority of us do it for the same reasons, and we will not get younger officials to start officiating after seeing the veteran officials get ridiculed because they are going to say, $50, nah, that's not worth it.

 

The veterans I know are going to continue strapping it on and giving everything we got until we can't physically do it any more for the love of the game. I do say instead of ridicule, chastising and putting down, find something positive out of this experience that will make a difference so it will improve the game for the kids, because that is what it is all about, we all agree on that point.

 

I'm sure the majority of knowlegable fans, coaches, and even players support the BBA officials. We are extremely lucky to have them.

 

There is an old axiom that applies here: Empty barrels make the most noise.

The same thing happened in the Girls regional final for SK vs Walton. The ball is in the air light comes on the ball goes in and its called no good.

 

"Same" as in it dealt with a last second shot.

 

However, I'm pretty sure they got the call right in the SK game.

Seven or eight years ago I tried refereeing and was in the BBA. It's a very tough job, didn't pay enough for the time it took (including travel and game time), travel expenses, and I wasn't any good at it so I quit. It did seem to very much be a good ole boy network, which probably favors keeping bad refs.

 

Watching the video, the call was definitely blown. A replay system wouldn't be that hard to have at tournament games. Some schools pipe video into the lobbies/concession areas of the arenas already.

:ylsuper:

I have been told to not post about officiating on this forum but I have finally got to say something because I am tired of this crap...

 

I have been officiating for 25 years been to the show in 3 major sports and officiated many regional finals so I believe that qualifies me to make the following statments:

 

The BBA supervisor has suspended at least 20 officials for missing rules this year, I know because I was one of them. We are held to a very high standard and every night we are officiating a state tournament caliber game, very intense, very athletic and we love it, that's why we do it, for the love of the game.

 

When I go ref a game I usually end up loosing money by the time I get back paying for gas and the time I spend on the road, we most definitely do not referee high school for the money.

 

The referees in question were disciplined but that is a personnel issue and will not be discussed in this forum and that is why you haven't heard anything about it, we are held to a much higher standard than any other officiating group in the state of Kentucky and we love it that way, that is why I continue to drive 2 hours on the average one way to ref a high school game because we have the best basketball in the state night in and night out to officiate and the best officials and we do it for the kids, I know that is why I am there, to give something back to the game that I love and for the kids and that is why all the officials I work with are there as well.

 

If you think these three officials aren't sick over this and it doesn't haunt them then you are sadly mistaken, the last thing a great official wants to do is miss a call, much less one that decides the outcome of a game, but to be chastised, ridiculed and talked about like a dog on here and other public forums is completely uncalled for, instead of doing this we all need to get together to see what we can do to make this situation better for us all.

 

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to have replay monitors starting at the regional tournament, in the regional final in the 11th I saw 15 monitors and 5 of them were running instant replays. Money is the issue I keep hearing come up, well, Title IX there are grants available to do some things with sports for young women and putting sports broadcasting in as part of a curriculum at a school that wants to host the a region would be something that should be able to be done. This would give the students professional training all year during the regular season and maybe bring some professionals in to assist during tournament time. Why not try? Has to be some funding somewhere to get this done...

 

The only thing I am hearing on here is negative comments and reasons why we can't make it better, if high school referees are going to be held accountable to this extent then we need the tools, resources and technology available to get the calls right, if we continue to ridicule officials for missing calls, we all do, we are human and its going to happen again, then we need to do this or you that are complaining get off your butts and get out on the floor with us and try and make a positive difference.

 

I can tell you this, if we don't do something then we are going to start loosing some veteran officials, again I don't do it for the money, I go in the hole every time I get in the car to travel and the majority of us do it for the same reasons, and we will not get younger officials to start officiating after seeing the veteran officials get ridiculed because they are going to say, $50, nah, that's not worth it.

 

The veterans I know are going to continue strapping it on and giving everything we got until we can't physically do it any more for the love of the game. I do say instead of ridicule, chastising and putting down, find something positive out of this experience that will make a difference so it will improve the game for the kids, because that is what it is all about, we all agree on that point.

 

:ylsuper:This was a great post RECPARK:ylsuper:

 

I have known many of these guys over the years and I know they are not taking this missed call lightly. I hope that some good will come out of this.:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.