Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BBA - No Accountability

Featured Replies

If officials would call what they are supposed to call, then even a monkey would stop standing in the lane, stop pushing, stop hand checking, stop walking, etc. If officials would do their job, then the game might resemble "Basketball". They get paid so they should be publicly accountable! The KHSAA publicly lists player and coach suspensions and fines, referees should fall under the same guise.

 

Everybody loves to see a referee screw up because most of them are jerks!

 

I've worked as an official scorer in the 8th region for 10 years and have had more interaction with officials than the average fan in the stands and probably more than most coaches. I've yet to meet a jerk official while at the scorers' table. I doubt that they are that different in other regions.

 

Your comment says more about you than it does about the officials.

  • Replies 201
  • Views 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the technology we have today and the internet, why can't coaches rate officials after every game, have it so that the coach cannot do it until the next day, officials also can rate themselves for that game, every coach can rate, thqt way you eliminate out of region disparities in officiating that we all know happens. It would level the playing field. use the ratings to assign at end of year, you could also leave notes of specific incidents ect that warrant action two sides to every story i guess

 

Mandate that all coaches must rate, all the assigning sec sees is the cumulative ratings that way refs do not know who rated them low yes many know how coaches rate them

 

Enough of my rambling does a rating system make sense probably makes to much sense I guarantee many refs will shape up if they are accountable,

 

Think about this a game lasts an hour it may take an hour travel total ok 80 bucks two hours work hmmmm $40 bucks an hour the kids deserve the best

 

Regarding coaches rating refs and I assume you are a coach: What are you going to look for when watching the tape to evaluate an official's performance?

I watched the video - horrible call.

 

But my opinion on Bo Queen remains the same. He can call agame for me whenever he is available. Over a decade of watching him do games and I think he might be the most consistent guy in stripes over that period of time that I saw. I think he is a man of high character - if he had seen it differently, he would have called that way. He was watching the play under the hoop like he is supposed to be.

 

I would love to switch refs with a BBA region. In my opinion they are the best in the state.

 

I know that is no consolation for the boys in that tape. I would not have wanted to walk in that locker room after that game and talk to those young men.

Bo Queen is certainly not a jerk, nor incompetent. He is a consumate professional.

 

I like Stumpy would welcome Bo Queen to work every game we ever play.

 

It appears obvious that he (if he were the man making the calls) missed the call. I will guarantee you that nobody feels worse about it than Bo Queen.

 

To lump all officials as jerks destroys your creditability. There are "jerks" in all professions and the officials are no exception. Bo Queen is certainly not one of them.

A typical high school game last 1.5 hours, so they are making $40 an hour. That's nothing to laugh about!:p

Hardly making $40 per hour; most referees have to drive at least one hour to game; they arrive at the game 1 hour before game time; and have another hour drive home. Factor in gas; wear on your vehicle for a 100 mile round trip; then they have to pay taxes on the $60 dollars they make. Probably more like $10 per hour. Would you do that job for $10 per hour?

I did not know KHSAA used professional referees.

 

As much as I scream at refs, I also know they are not perfect. He who is without "bad calls" throw the first "suspension".

 

Let see. They're accredited and paid. Well OK I give. They must be unprofessional then. That was easy:rolleyes:

I have been livid with officials after a game, go home watch game film and see that they did a good job thats why i suggest a cool off period, I realize that they are going to miss a few they are human. My point is to have an accountability system, that is not biased, not going to be used against my team in a later date. If you talk to coaches it seems the rules have been changed the last several years to accomodate the refs.

In response to a much earlier post on this thread, the three officials that worked the 10th Region title game tonite were Bart Lenox, Terry Smith and Eric Thornsbury.

 

It was a well officiated game, called straight down the middle. No phantom calls, no unnecessery calls, no blatently missed calls.

 

A few calls here and there that were of the 50/50 variety that always incenses half the crowd.

 

However, after the smoke cleared, the officials melted into the background in this one, which is what everyone wants anyway. The players determined the outcome, which is the way it should be.

If officials would call what they are supposed to call, then even a monkey would stop standing in the lane, stop pushing, stop hand checking, stop walking, etc. If officials would do their job, then the game might resemble "Basketball". They get paid so they should be publicly accountable! The KHSAA publicly lists player and coach suspensions and fines, referees should fall under the same guise.

 

Everybody loves to see a referee screw up because most of them are jerks!

 

I'd say you could pick a jerk out fairly effectively. 7 post into bluegrass preps and you think this is a free internet blog, without regard for people.

 

You may want to stick to ESPN columns. You can post there and no one will actualy read it.

This thread is a joke. Those that are calling out specific referees that weren't even involved need to get a life. Atleast allow them to come to your job and critique you since you obviously never make mistakes.

Let see. They're accredited and paid. Well OK I give. They must be unprofessional then. That was easy:rolleyes:

Pretty darn easy to become an official. Pass a test, pay your money and join an association. Its up to the association to give you games or not.

 

Accredited? That is hilarious.

I have been livid with officials after a game, go home watch game film and see that they did a good job thats why i suggest a cool off period, I realize that they are going to miss a few they are human. My point is to have an accountability system, that is not biased, not going to be used against my team in a later date. If you talk to coaches it seems the rules have been changed the last several years to accomodate the refs.

 

I have no idea what the last statement means.???

 

My point is this: Say you're watching a tape and you feel a basket interference call was missed. Now what? Who are you going to ding? The whole crew?

 

By the way, welcome to the site. Use the "reply" button when typing a response to a particular post.

I'd say you could pick a jerk out fairly effectively. 7 post into bluegrass preps and you think this is a free internet blog, without regard for people.

 

You may want to stick to ESPN columns. You can post there and no one will actualy read it.

 

612 posts makes you an expert? Thanks for reading my post, you can check it out on ESPN too.

As a coach could you accept a win that you know you honestly lost? I know it's easy to say right now, but I honestly don't think I could. I know it wouldn't be a popular decision with your players or fans, but it would have been the right thing to do to go to the officials and tell them the basket was good. Can you imagine the positive publicity that coach would have gotten across the nation.

 

While noble it would not be the right move IMO. As soon as you do that a player/parent/fan/principal is going to mention the bad call earlier in the game that cost your team 2 points. Is one call worthy and one call not worthy even though you thought both were wrong?

 

In addition, the coach didn't have the ability to see a replay so how would he know for sure?

 

It would be the wrong move IMO.

May be a little off topic, but the officiating in tonight's 10th Region final was pretty decent. Every crew is going to miss a call or two, but nothing tonight that affected the outcome of a 2-point game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.