Question for the Refs

Saw this on situation on a game carried on one of our local cable channels, and am wondering what the correct call is.

Team A is playing defense, and gets a deflection out near mid-court. Players for both teams scramble for ball and end up going to the floor. A player from Team A finally gets possession of the ball.

However, she's in a somewhat seated/reclining position with her "behind" clearly in the front court, but her feet are clearly in the backcourt and most importantly...at least one, if not both of them, maintains constant contact with the floor.

The player who recovers the ball (who now has her back to her own goal) passes the ball to an oncoming teammate, who is still in the backcourt. The official blows the whistle and indicates an Over and Back violation.

The announcer on the game thought that was a bad call, as the player who originally established possesion of the ball, never got all her "points" into the frontcourt.

I know when dribbling, a player has to get both feet and the ball in the frontcourt before an Over and Back call can be made. But, I'm just wondering if this is sort of like the NFL's rule of "one knee equals two feet" type of reasoning?

When the game was replayed the following night, I taped that portion of it, just to rewatch it. And I'll admit, from their camera angle it looks like both feet maintained contact with the floor (there was no doubt about her one foot). Normally, if anything, that I see called from this type of situation is a travelling call, where the player rolls over or makes some attempt to stand up. But, that was definitely not the case here.

So what say you officials? Care to lend any insight into this strange situation?

If I understant your play correctly A1, after a scramble for the ball by both teams, ended up with the ball. Questions that come to mind:

Who was the last player to touch the ball in the front court before it was secured by A1?

When A1 secured the ball was she already touching the backcourt with any part of her body?

If a)Team B was the last touch touch before A1 secured it and b)A1 was touching the backcourt BEFORE she secured the ball then the subsequent violation was incorrect.

The announcer was incorrect in using the "3 points" portion of the rule because that only applies to a dribbler.

Let me know your thoughts on the 2 questions posed.

If I understant your play correctly A1, after a scramble for the ball by both teams, ended up with the ball. Questions that come to mind:

Who was the last player to touch the ball in the front court before it was secured by A1?

When A1 secured the ball was she already touching the backcourt with any part of her body?

If a)Team B was the last touch touch before A1 secured it and b)A1 was touching the backcourt BEFORE she secured the ball then the subsequent violation was incorrect.

The announcer was incorrect in using the "3 points" portion of the rule because that only applies to a dribbler.

Let me know your thoughts on the 2 questions posed.

Clyde...I'll have to go back and watch the tape (unless my wife has already taped over it! :ohbrother:) But, off the top of my head, here's what I remember...

As far as who "touched" it last (before A1) secured it, I don't really know. There was a mad scramble with 2 or 3 girls diving on the floor after the ball. No one, from either team, had "possession" of it before A1, if that makes a difference. The ball was simply being slapped around.

As to the second part of your question...there is no doubt that A1 had at least 1, if not both, feet in the backcourt. From the camera angle you can tell that the one foot did not break contact with the ground. Her heel is clearly on the floor. And to the best of my vision, it looked like the other foot maintained contact as well. She was pretty much already in this position when she secured the ball...there is not much movement, if any, by her between when she secures the ball and when she passes the ball.

I hope that helps.

Clyde...I'll have to go back and watch the tape (unless my wife has already taped over it! :ohbrother:) But, off the top of my head, here's what I remember...

As far as who "touched" it last (before A1) secured it, I don't really know. There was a mad scramble with 2 or 3 girls diving on the floor after the ball. No one, from either team, had "possession" of it before A1, if that makes a difference. The ball was simply being slapped around.

It does make a difference. If any Team A member was the last to touch it in the frontcourt and A1 was the first to touch it in the backcourt its a violation - even if it was deflected first by the defense.

As to the second part of your question...there is no doubt that A1 had at least 1, if not both, feet in the backcourt. From the camera angle you can tell that the one foot did not break contact with the ground. Her heel is clearly on the floor. And to the best of my vision, it looked like the other foot maintained contact as well. She was pretty much already in this position when she secured the ball...there is not much movement, if any, by her between when she secures the ball and when she passes the ball.

I hope that helps.

If you describe it correctly and the officials determined that it was not a backcourt violation when she secured the ball the subsequent pass to a teammate with backcourt status would not suddenly be a backcourt violation. Maybe the official didn't see her touching the backcourt which might explain why the pass then became a violation.

Maybe he just kicked it.