IF....

rockmom

Who is to judge whether or not we/they/you are recruiting athletes or students that are potential athletes? It is impossible to allow this (recruitment of students) to occur and then say "well you can't send that kid info, because he can play!" This IS how some private and public schools recruit athletes and get away with it. This is why there is always a smoking gun, but no bullet.

If you read the rules of the KHSAA, you will see what is and is not allowed. You must treat athletes and non athletes the same. And there are no smoking guns or bullets.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If by recruiting you mean all students, I don't have a problem with it. If your school's recruiting efforts target only athletes it is gainst the existing rules for both public and private schools.

See, we talk about all this recuiting going on by private schools. However when it comes down to the example given, (with a Bracken Co. student interested in a Catholic education) catholic schools are allowed to recruit. However, they are not allowed to recruit players that are outside of their feeder schools. Bishop Brossart's case is that they are allowed to recruit students from St. Joseph (Cold Spring), St. Joseph (Camp Spring), St. Peter & Paul (California), St. Mary (Alexandria), and St. Phillip (Melbourne). Recruiting outside of these "feeder" schools is not allowed. If a student from outside the feeder schools is interested in attending a catholic school, then he/she would do this on their own interest. Its no different than what public schools do with their respect "feeder" schools with the exception that students wishing to attend a cathoic school (coming from a public or private) may do so acting upon their own wishes.

See, we talk about all this recuiting going on by private schools. However when it comes down to the example given, (with a Bracken Co. student interested in a Catholic education) catholic schools are allowed to recruit. However, they are not allowed to recruit players that are outside of their feeder schools. Bishop Brossart's case is that they are allowed to recruit students from St. Joseph (Cold Spring), St. Joseph (Camp Spring), St. Peter & Paul (California), St. Mary (Alexandria), and St. Phillip (Melbourne). Recruiting outside of these "feeder" schools is not allowed. If a student from outside the feeder schools is interested in attending a catholic school, then he/she would do this on their own interest. Its no different than what public schools do with their respect "feeder" schools with the exception that students wishing to attend a cathoic school (coming from a public or private) may do so acting upon their own wishes.

In the case of Bishop Brossart, they wish they were able to GET all the kids from their natural feeder schools, and NOT be subjected to the "encouragement to attend other schools" of their kids by other private and public schools!! They do lose kids from their feeders to other area schools for reasons of no football and $$$$'s. Unfortunately, playing by the rules hurts sometimes!!

So do you feel football, cross country and track suffers from the "not one true champion" feeling?

Football, track, and cross country should be classified and I think they are classified because there are so many schools in competition for them sports. If you put them all in one classification that would extend the season of each sport exponentially. Basketball is a different subject. The regions and the Sweet 16 are played in a two week period. It is so much easier to do the "one classification" with basketball because they can bunch the season together like that. With football it is almost impossible to do that with unless you extend the season by 4, maybe 5 weeks. Track and Cross Country may be a little different of a format so I cannot talk with too much knowledge in that subject. All that I want is for the great state of Kentucky to keep it the right way, with one true champion in basketball, the sport that most of the Kentuckians love. This is all I want to see. I don't want to start fights or quarrels with the football guys or the cross country and track guys. Like I said, I'd just like it to stay the same for basketball. :thumb: Hopefully I didn't offend anyone. If I did then, sorry, this is how I see things, that's all.

I don't know of a single athlete at BBHS that didn't go to a feeder school....

Striker, I like your comment there. I went to Brossart from 1996 to 2000 and we didn't have one kid in our enrollment that was not from within Brossart's feeder school region. Other schools may do things differently with recruiting, but I am glad to see Brossart is doing it the right way, STILL. I'm sure there are lots of other schools out there just like Brossart that are doing it the righ way and I'd like to give them a big :thumb: . I just like to see the schools doing it the right way and with the "cards that they have been dealt."