What are the advantages that the Public schools have over privates?

DELTA Rotary

This will be fun....

OK...

So, if a student takes a voucher to HC and is diagnosed with a disability that falls under the IDEA guidelines and with his own IEP, would HC have the simple right to expell him/her if they grossly violated HC rules?

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........OK........

Let me answer this the best I can. Unlike what you seem to believe atleast at Holy Cross they did not simply kick a bad egg to the curb. At HC we recieved more than are fair share of bad apples. But its almost as if the school takes pride in teaching them. I know many kids who got kicked out of other school or left other schools as bad eggs. (CCH,Holmes,) and came to Holy Cross got diploma and are now living pretty good lives.

Have kids been kicked out of HC , yes they have. But unless they commit some serious offense or are multiple times offenders HC has a reputation from teaching from within. I'm not familar with the guidelines, but right now in the conversation I was having with LABS that is just making more excuses.

Poor public schools have to deal with this that and the kitchen sink. Instead of giving up on kids saying they don't have certain values, here's an idea instill them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be fun....

OK...

So, if a student takes a voucher to HC and is diagnosed with a disability that falls under the IDEA guidelines and with his own IEP, would HC have the simple right to expell him/her if they grossly violated HC rules?

Give me an example of the violated rule? I have never known a student to get kicked out on first offense.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........OK........

Let me answer this the best I can. Unlike what you seem to believe atleast at Holy Cross they did not simply kick a bad egg to the curb. At HC we recieved more than are fair share of bad apples. But its almost as if the school takes pride in teaching them. I know many kids who got kicked out of other school or left other schools as bad eggs. (CCH,Holmes,) and came to Holy Cross got diploma and are now living pretty good lives.

Have kids been kicked out of HC , yes they have. But unless they commit some serious offense or are multiple times offenders HC has a reputation from teaching from within. I'm not familar with the guidelines, but right now in the conversation I was having with LABS that is just making more excuses.

Poor public schools have to deal with this that and the kitchen sink. Instead of giving up on kids saying they don't have certain values, here's an idea instill them.

I wonder if your keen motive for vouchers would include the REQUIREMENT to educate the student, EVEN IF YOU EXPEL. Try pricing that service.

Also, if they have an IEP from a dianosis you cannot expel. Try dealing with that.

For one, HC would not likely have the capabilities or facilities to handle an exceptionally large number of students with IEP's.

Their acceptance would be come selective.

This would not only be for Holy Cross but for other private schools.

More kid ride buses than you believe.

I believe all three housing projects are bused to the Holmes campus.

Outside of the Louisville and Lexington area, Covington Indendent schools is the only school in the state that has students from three seperate housing projects. Paducah may be the other...

Instilling the so-called "middle-class values" is one elusive character that has eluded many inner city schools.

Did you see the headlines the other morning? Roughly 100 parents in court because of truant children.

8 were put into lockup. One lady has three kids, and doesn't have the means to work on a GED. Her children are headed down the same path as she.

Somewhere this chain has to be broken.

For one the city needs to have a vision and raze a few of these projects and spread those that are housed there thorughout the city. Covington needs to desperately study the way that Newport is doing things.

Then again, we have a commission that is really not in tune with the plight of many of its citizens because it is not made up of a good cross-section of the populace...

For one, HC would not likely have the capabilities or facilities to handle an exceptionally large number of students with IEP's.

Their acceptance would be come selective.

This would not only be for Holy Cross but for other private schools.

More kid ride buses than you believe.

I believe all three housing projects are bused to the Holmes campus.

Outside of the Louisville and Lexington area, Covington Indendent schools is the only school in the state that has students from three seperate housing projects. Paducah may be the other...

Instilling the so-called "middle-class values" is one elusive character that has eluded many inner city schools.

Did you see the headlines the other morning? Roughly 100 parents in court because of truant children.

8 were put into lockup. One lady has three kids, and doesn't have the means to work on a GED. Her children are headed down the same path as she.

Somewhere this chain has to be broken.

For one the city needs to have a vision and raze a few of these projects and spread those that are housed there thorughout the city. Covington needs to desperately study the way that Newport is doing things.

Then again, we have a commission that is really not in tune with the plight of many of its citizens because it is not made up of a good cross-section of the populace...

I agree with most of your statement , I just hate when excuses are made. Lationa Terrance is a housinig project but really the sterotypical one. Its nothing to the degree of City Heights or Jacob Price. City Heights is only running at like 50% occupancy or some very extreme low number.

Holmes only really gets a major amount of studnets from Jacob Price now. Razing of the project like Newport would be the best thing for the city. City Heights has been talked about for almost 8 years now. The city just hasn't had a well thought of plan on where to place the people. City Heights property is probably the most valuble land property in the entire city and maybe NKY. Covington is nothing like a real big city , and I don't think all the same excuses apply on the same level. Alot of the kids who turn "bad" are very fixable. I grew up with alot of them, I have firsthand knowledge. Covington situation is very fixable.

What if HC had a student who committed a felony on campus? First time offense? Would he been dismissed from school?

What if a student committed arson on campus, would they be expelled?

What if each of these students had IEP's that essentially prevents them from being expelled for such matter without services?

I have no clue what an IEP is i'm not in education. I'm pretty sure atleast the first one can be said its been true in the past. I'm not really sure of any arson to take place at HC so I can't say. I know if there were an arson commited I hate to be the student being chased by Clay down Church street.

Not in education...but an IEP is, I believe, the Individualized Education Program, which falls under the Individuals with Disabilites Education Act(IDEA).

A student that has a disability would have a IEP.

I have heard that there have been kids that have remained in public schools that have committed 5 felonies on campus and were not expelled.

If a student lives in any of the three projects and go to a public school, where are they going in Covington? They serve all three.

I believe there are something like 8-10 TANK buses that leave Holmes's campus eveyday taking kids home. That is a fair amount of students....

Not in education...but an IEP is, I believe, the Individualized Education Program, which falls under the Individuals with Disabilites Education Act(IDEA).

A student that has a disability would have a IEP.

I have heard that there have been kids that have remained in public schools that have committed 5 felonies on campus and were not expelled.

If a student lives in any of the three projects and go to a public school, where are they going in Covington? They serve all three.

I believe there are something like 8-10 TANK buses that leave Holmes's campus eveyday taking kids home. That is a fair amount of students....

I thought Tank served the general area's surronding not just those projects. I'm just saying that there aren't as many kids from City Heights as you might think. That project has turned mostly vacant. My point on the Terrace was that it has to be one of the lowest crime rate projects in the region. Its not your typical project.

I believe the school district has a contract with TANK, and serves as their before and after school busing.

Crime or not it is still a project but agree with you that it is not your typical project.

What percent of HC students are from Covington?

What percent are from South Covington, which essentially serves Scott HS and the Taylor Mill area, and surrounding burns like Ft. Wright and so forth.

I would hazard to guess there are just as many students at HC from outside the city of Covington, not including Latonia...

I believe the school district has a contract with TANK, and serves as their before and after school busing.

Crime or not it is still a project but agree with you that it is not your typical project.

What percent of HC students are from Covington?

What percent are from South Covington, which essentially serves Scott HS and the Taylor Mill area, and surrounding burns like Ft. Wright and so forth.

I would hazard to guess there are just as many students at HC from outside the city of Covington, not including Latonia...

Thats without a doubt. But there still is a good chunk who come from the city. The inner city private grade schools have shrunk in enrollment. St.Augustine, Holy Family, and Prince of Peace class graduating class sizes probably average around 15. (Prince of Peace could be different with their new program installed now.) There are some kids from all over city who got to Holy Cross grade school even though there not from Lationa just to be ready for the high school. The starting freshman pg for Holmes freshman basketball team last year graduated from Holy Cross grade school.

But anyway there is no denying a good chunk of HC students come from Taylor Mill and Indpendence. With an even smaller amount coming from a few CCH feeder schools. But still a good portion of students are Covington kids.