What are the advantages that the Public schools have over privates?

DELTA Rotary

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More widespread support from local businesses. Private schools have a very limited group from which to garner support. Usually that limited group has ties of some sort to the private school. However, the publics draw support from many area businesses who have no particular tie to the school other than the fact that the business is located within that school district. Thus, these businesses support the "local team" since it may well help the bottom line of the income statement.

Also, as in Lexington, Louisville, Covington, and Ashland, there is an element of animosity from the publics toward the privates. This results in some businesses and individuals avoiding any connection with the private schools because of possible loss of business. As an example, I have a close acquaintance who operates a business in Ashland. He told me that he could not afford any tie whatsoever to Rose Hill because it would cost him business with the Ashland people. I have heard similar statements from people in the other areas of the state.

:thumb:

More widespread support from local businesses. Private schools have a very limited group from which to garner support. Usually that limited group has ties of some sort to the private school. However, the publics draw support from many area businesses who have no particular tie to the school other than the fact that the business is located within that school district. Thus, these businesses support the "local team" since it may well help the bottom line of the income statement.

Also, as in Lexington, Louisville, Covington, and Ashland, there is an element of animosity from the publics toward the privates. This results in some businesses and individuals avoiding any connection with the private schools because of possible loss of business. As an example, I have a close acquaintance who operates a business in Ashland. He told me that he could not afford any tie whatsoever to Rose Hill because it would cost him business with the Ashland people. I have heard similar statements from people in the other areas of the state.

:thumb:

The antimosty from Covington public school is becoming more apparent the more this issue drags on. Holmes has had a clear cut advantage over its Lationia counterpart for as long as I can remeber I have no clue where there negative outlook comes from.

That is NOT the case in Louisville, in my opinion.

:thumb: :thumb:

The antimosty from Covington public school is becoming more apparent the more this issue drags on. Holmes has had a clear cut advantage over its Lationia counterpart for as long as I can remeber I have no clue where there negative outlook comes from.

So, the comments by the Covington Superintendent Moreland to NOT support Prop #20 is somehow anti private - how? :creepy: :lol:

LOL

Then again the city commision in Covington is very pro-private and in general its make-up is more similar to the parochial school than the public school.

City has bent over backwards in it's support for Holy Cross. Look at the facility they have now really to call their own at the old Rosedale Complex.

Covington in general has a declining population, practically down 20K since the 1960's.

I believe there are some partnerships between the public schools and Fidelity, but much of the old central business district is service in nature.

It will be intersting to see how the new ward system will affect the make-up of the City Commission in the next few years. One that may actually reflect a cross-section of the city and give the city a better representation of the populace.

I have nothing against HC, and it is a fine institution that does wonderful things, and supports its mission. There are some great great people that do great things there. I just wonder why some think people have agendas against others if their opinion is not the same as their's.

FREE MONEY

I have missed that at our school. :rolleyes:

Publics do not all have the same advantages. Public city schools have huge numbers to draw from that rural public schools do not. Rural public school have HUGE transportation costs associated with their programs since sometimes the shortest away game is a 30-minute drive one way where public city schools do not have those same costs.

Rural public schools do not have the competition and conflicts with their athletes with AAU/club teams as much as you see in the public city schools.