What are the advantages that the Public schools have over privates?

DELTA Rotary

Atleast at Holmes basketball players don't have to pay for teams shoes and what not, all apart of uniform.

I know this is not the norm at all public schools, at least not the ones I've been involved with in NKY.

I don't believe this is true with all of thier sports at holmes, or even most. I know of at least one sport that doesn't at holmes.

Can you back me on this HHD

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

Then again the city commision in Covington is very pro-private and in general its make-up is more similar to the parochial school than the public school.

City has bent over backwards in it's support for Holy Cross. Look at the facility they have now really to call their own at the old Rosedale Complex.

Covington in general has a declining population, practically down 20K since the 1960's.

I believe there are some partnerships between the public schools and Fidelity, but much of the old central business district is service in nature.

It will be intersting to see how the new ward system will affect the make-up of the City Commission in the next few years. One that may actually reflect a cross-section of the city and give the city a better representation of the populace.

I have nothing against HC, and it is a fine institution that does wonderful things, and supports its mission. There are some great great people that do great things there. I just wonder why some think people have agendas against others if their opinion is not the same as their's.

I'll agree the commission and mayor just a couple of years ago was basically all Lationa and Wallace Woods based. But that is mostly because that is where a majority of the votes come from. That is partly why I don't like the ward system. Why should a district with a low turnout decide one of my commisioners.

But anyway, HC got the complex fair and share and has spent Hundreds of thousands of its dollars to revamp that park , which by city rule will have to open to the entire public of Covington.

OK, Big Stud explain how this is against Holy Cross. Frankly, this is a huge gift and anything less than thanks, well..

I agree. But Holmes will have the oppurtunity in the near future to use some of our sports complex. Part of the ruling by the city was it must be open to the whole city. I'm guessing Holmes will be using the soccer fields. So not wear on the football field anymore just a guess.

I know this is not the norm at all public schools, at least not the ones I've been involved with in NKY.

I don't believe this is true with all of thier sports at holmes, or even most. I know of at least one sport that doesn't at holmes.

Can you back me on this HHD

Covington has had some pretty unusual programs in the past. They include free lunches for all students one year, no charging for any extracurricular activites including field trips, and supplying sports gear for free that most other students have to pay for. And the BOE wonders why they have money problems. :rolleyes:

:thumb: :thumb:

The antimosty from Covington public school is becoming more apparent the more this issue drags on. Holmes has had a clear cut advantage over its Lationia counterpart for as long as I can remeber I have no clue where there negative outlook comes from.

As far as I can remember, Holmes and HC have had very good relations with each other. I'm not sure where you're coming from BS. Of course there was the incident in the recent past where someone set the Holmes stadiums stands on fire and neither team could use the stadium.

As far as I can remember, Holmes and HC have had very good relations with each other. I'm not sure where you're coming from BS. Of course there was the incident in the recent past where someone set the Holmes stadiums stands on fire and neither team could use the stadium.

I agree in general there is a good relationship, and the adminstration from both schools seem to get along. The rivalry itself isn't as intense as it once was and has become a more friendly rivalry.

But there is still a legion of fans/supporters of Holmes and HC for that matter who gripe about each school getting a distinct advantage. When HC was getting Rosedale some people would have thought HC was robbing the city.

But in the end the City is going to get a wonder sports complex for all the city to use and it will have been paid for by the Holy Cross high school. Rosedale in the years before had become run down and when it got flooded it was time for change.

I'll agree the commission and mayor just a couple of years ago was basically all Lationa and Wallace Woods based. But that is mostly because that is where a majority of the votes come from. That is partly why I don't like the ward system. Why should a district with a low turnout decide one of my commisioners.

But anyway, HC got the complex fair and share and has spent Hundreds of thousands of its dollars to revamp that park , which by city rule will have to open to the entire public of Covington.

Ward system will create a better cross-section of the populace of the city therefore not hog-tying the money to certain areas.

The land in which Holy Cross is using was created with a grant-in-aid from the federal government. Hundreds of thousand of dollars were spent in flood control and improving that area, as well as paying for such a park that previously existed. Therefore, the city could only sell that land for private use if in return they received the amount that was originally given to the city.

HC intial offer was well below the governments funding. Therefore the city worked out a lease in which the property was turned over to HC in a mutualagreement.

HC gets a great deal from it.

Ward system will create a better cross-section of the populace of the city therefore not hog-tying the money to certain areas.

The land in which Holy Cross is using was created with a grant-in-aid from the federal government. Hundreds of thousand of dollars were spent in flood control and improving that area, as well as paying for such a park that previously existed. Therefore, the city could only sell that land for private use if in return they received the amount that was originally given to the city.

HC intial offer was well below the governments funding. Therefore the city worked out a lease in which the property was turned over to HC in a mutualagreement.

HC gets a great deal from it.

But HC has also spent hundreds of thousands of its own dollars that the city was not willing to pay to revamp the whole park. The reason HC doesn't have its own football field yet is because the finish its project as the cash comes in. The complex is going to be one of the nicest any school in NKY can offer.

I have missed that at our school. :rolleyes:

Publics do not all have the same advantages. Public city schools have huge numbers to draw from that rural public schools do not. Rural public school have HUGE transportation costs associated with their programs since sometimes the shortest away game is a 30-minute drive one way where public city schools do not have those same costs.

Rural public schools do not have the competition and conflicts with their athletes with AAU/club teams as much as you see in the public city schools.

Wow--You mean not all public schools are alike?? Maybe this will "light the bulb" for some others on here, that the vast majority of the privates don't share the advantages of the very large privates either!!

What the public schools really need is competition. Let all parents have a choice as to where they can send their children. The vast majority of public school kids have to go to the school that their district dictates. It's a monopoly. If parents had vouchers that were good at any school or charter schools where the parents called the shots, you would then see some improvement in public education. Give families a sense of ownership and involvement and they appreciate what they have more and work harder to better it.

It would take years to overcome the status quo, but it could be done. Just look at the american auto industry. 40 years ago they were producing junk and we were buying cars at fast as we could, with no questions asked. Then we got introduced to Japanese quality during the oil embargo and Detroit almost went out of business. But they didn't, they changed and became better. I used to drive imported cars but now I own 3 vehicles made in Detroit.

Parents just have to demand change and work to get it.

What the public schools really need is competition. Let all parents have a choice as to where they can send their children. The vast majority of public school kids have to go to the school that their district dictates. It's a monopoly. If parents had vouchers that were good at any school or charter schools where the parents called the shots, you would then see some improvement in public education. Give families a sense of ownership and involvement and they appreciate what they have more and work harder to better it.

It would take years to overcome the status quo, but it could be done. Just look at the american auto industry. 40 years ago they were producing junk and we were buying cars at fast as we could, with no questions asked. Then we got introduced to Japanese quality during the oil embargo and Detroit almost went out of business. But they didn't, they changed and became better. I used to drive imported cars but now I own 3 vehicles made in Detroit.

Parents just have to demand change and work to get it.

How about we give latitude to all schools to decide their outcome and free them to deal with the malcontents of society? By the way, parents have all the choice in the world to send kids where ever they want.

I'm a conservative, but am firmly against school vouchers.

This would only widen the chasm between the "haves" and the "have nots".

The individuals who would take advantage of the vouchers would likely be the upper third of students who do perform day in and day out. Particularly because they would be able to afford the transportation to a different school. Those in the inner-city who are dependent on busing to get their kids to school, will continue the status quo.

Many in the inner-city lack middle class values. They do not own their own property, they do not respect other peoples property and have deep roots into a generation of lower class.

You have situations of individuals who live is public housing, whose, parents lived in public housing, and their parents lived in public housing. Achievement and success doesn't seem to carry much weight in many parts of the inner city.

The schools are often fingered as the problem, but they can only do so much from 7:30AM to 3:00PM.

Something needs to break this cycle.

How do you teach middle class values to a sector of the population that has no desire to accept those values.

Going to jail is socially acceptable. Dealing drugs is socially acceptable.

I have heard of situations where kids are 17 years old and in the 9th grade with little chance of graduating, but cannot read on a high enough level to move on to an adult school. They simply languish in the classrooms and the school is practically powerless to remove such students...

I'm a conservative, but am firmly against school vouchers.

This would only widen the chasm between the "haves" and the "have nots".

The individuals who would take advantage of the vouchers would likely be the upper third of students who do perform day in and day out. Particularly because they would be able to afford the transportation to a different school. Those in the inner-city who are dependent on busing to get their kids to school, will continue the status quo.

Many in the inner-city lack middle class values. They do not own their own property, they do not respect other peoples property and have deep roots into a generation of lower class.

You have situations of individuals who live is public housing, whose, parents lived in public housing, and their parents lived in public housing. Achievement and success doesn't seem to carry much weight in many parts of the inner city.

The schools are often fingered as the problem, but they can only do so much from 7:30AM to 3:00PM.

Something needs to break this cycle.

How do you teach middle class values to a sector of the population that has no desire to accept those values.

Going to jail is socially acceptable. Dealing drugs is socially acceptable.

I have heard of situations where kids are 17 years old and in the 9th grade with little chance of graduating, but cannot read on a high enough level to move on to an adult school. They simply languish in the classrooms and the school is practically powerless to remove such students...

I don't buy it. This might be an argument in NYC. But in Covington alot of students at Holmes walk to school. I see it everyday. HolyCross is no more than 3/4th a mile to a mile past Holmes. The could take Tank or walk the extra length. Again a city like Covington Vouchers would work. To say they don't have middle class values is a cop out. That is why they need to instilled these values and idea's. Evidently the system they are in now is not working in doing so, so I do not see how a change in scenery could be any worse.

I don't buy it. This might be an argument in NYC. But in Covington alot of students at Holmes walk to school. I see it everyday. HolyCross is no more than 3/4th a mile to a mile past Holmes. The could take Tank or walk the extra length. Again a city like Covington Vouchers would work. To say they don't have middle class values is a cop out. That is why they need to instilled these values and idea's. Evidently the system they are in now is not working in doing so, so I do not see how a change in scenery could be any worse.

This will be fun....

OK...

So, if a student takes a voucher to HC and is diagnosed with a disability that falls under the IDEA guidelines and with his own IEP, would HC have the simple right to expell him/her if they grossly violated HC rules?