Game Scouting

I know exchanging tapes is very common in football but how common is it on the hoops side? I think the whole point of scouting is to actually get the feel of the team you are playing. Sure the film will provide all the X's and O's you'll need but there's something about the feel and vibe of your opponent that you just won't get off the VCR. I know I wouldn't be caught dead filming my opponent, and if coaches do this they should be ashamed.

Case BL 11-13- Can a school or other entity on behalf of

a school videotape an opponent without permission

or use otherwise illegal equipment such as cleats that

exceed the size limit in football?

No. Such acts would be considered a violation of Bylaw 11, the

practice of sportsmanship. Any school representative taping

a contest of an opponent with which they are not currently

engaged in competition without the permission of that

opponent, is an unethical and unsportsmanlike act. The same

is true of the usage of illegal equipment, particularly that which

could lead to a competitive advantage outside the rules.

So why is it unprofessional to record a game? Why does the state need a rule forbidding it? Why go through the hassle of swapping game tapes? Football coaches have to get up on a Saturday morning and drive hours in some cases to simply swap tapes. Why not just go to the game, film it, bring it home, and start watching it?

So why is it unprofessional to record a game? Why does the state need a rule forbidding it? Why go through the hassle of swapping game tapes? Football coaches have to get up on a Saturday morning and drive hours in some cases to simply swap tapes. Why not just go to the game, film it, bring it home, and start watching it?

It is just a work around the rule. The real question is it ethical to do it?

You do not have to swap tapes.

Edited by doubledeuce

Is it fair to say that 90+% of the schools do, indeed, swap tapes?

Yeah that sounds about right. It would be lower if we included the schools that give you tape that is of very poor quality, so bad you can not see numbers or conversely so close you can only see a 1/4 of the field.

Passing teams like to send film that is "close-up" so you can not study their routes and route concepts/combinations.