DeMarcus Cousins

bigblueinsanity

Okay...so this really bugs me. I know this kid is a frosh but he seems to me that he shoots the ball every time he gets it! I mean he wants to force the game and he seems like a "me" player. He has huge potential and maybe he just needs some time. But I would rather see Orton plays tons more and takes Cousins mins. Orton gives it 100% on the floor where it seems like Cousins takes plays off. Orton will rebound and defend where it seems like Cousins has to take bad shots or force something. I hope Cousins proves me wrong. But he is not ready for the NBA. Though in the NBA they draft on potential so who knows, but he really needs to improve. Also he picks up dumb fouls and never ever thinks a foul is called on him, seems like an attitude problem as well.

Anyone else agree?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...so this really bugs me. I know this kid is a frosh but he seems to me that he shoots the ball every time he gets it! I mean he wants to force the game and he seems like a "me" player. He has huge potential and maybe he just needs some time. But I would rather see Orton plays tons more and takes Cousins mins. Orton gives it 100% on the floor where it seems like Cousins takes plays off. Orton will rebound and defend where it seems like Cousins has to take bad shots or force something. I hope Cousins proves me wrong. But he is not ready for the NBA. Though in the NBA they draft on potential so who knows, but he really needs to improve. Also he picks up dumb fouls and never ever thinks a foul is called on him, seems like an attitude problem as well.

Anyone else agree?

He is having Freshman pains of adjusting mentally to college basketball. He is a very emotional player, I don't see this as having a attitude problem. Coach Cal is working with him on the mental aspect....will just take time.

Like Sunrise said, he has the freshman pains more than anyone on this team. Has raw superstar talent, but being forced into the role of having to produce big has caused him many mistakes. The talent is there, and for much of the early season the production has been there (even in limited minutes). Boogie only averages about 19 minutes a game. Until today he has averaged around 17 points. I don't care forced shots or not that's good production. Often times he has scored with two guys on him, while being mugged and hacked. Today was the first time he has faced such talent on the inside, and he came out a little too jacked up, something he said he wouldn't do.

But you have to look at it like this, and today really opened my eyes to it.

Take John Henson for example. He was the number five player in the nation last year coming out of high school. We all saw what kind of limited role he played for Carolina, he got some PT, but it was far, far from having to come in and be forced to put up huge production. Even Tyler Zeller who was a top 5 guy last year wasn't called upon to be the man. Although he did put up good numbers for the minutes he played, he didn't have to be that guy.

Now look at Cousins and Orton. Ever since they signed to play for Cal and the Cats everyone in Big Blue Nation has put so much expectations on them to come in and give us quality production and go to potential simply based on their rankings and future potential. Like I said today opened up my eyes as to how most freshman talents get the chance to come in, play good relaxed minutes, and just find their role as it is needed. On Kentucky's side we have four guys who are thrown right into the mix, and who we have to rely on in order to get production and wins.

So Cousins does have some growing up and maturing to do, but after reading that and thinking about what I said about UNC's young star talents and how they are used, just think about what kind of position our guys have been put into. 5 star prospects or not, that's a lot for a freshman to take on, and that has finally hit home today. I don't think anyone in Big Blue land should even question the out put we have got from our guys so far. They have done a heck of a job carrying the huge load they have been asked to carry. Again, it is frustrating to see Big Cuz get all of those stupid fouls, and to see him do some of the things he does. BUT, the talents there, the production has been there to an extent, he and the others just have to keep growing, and they are doing so every game. These guys will be special by March, and two in particular will be on top 20 draft boards.

He still hasn't figured out how to score by going around people - he is trying to go through and over them. That has probably worked all his life, but now the opponent is just as big and strong.

I did notice that when UK did something good at the end of the game he was up off the bench cheering his teammates on - there's something to be said for that.

I like what Calapari said in the post game press conference - that Orton and Cousins needed to decide that they were going to come to practice every day and push each other to the limit so that both will get better. Those two really competing with each other at an intense level in practice would really pay off for both of them.

He is having Freshman pains of adjusting mentally to college basketball. He is a very emotional player, I don't see this as having a attitude problem. Coach Cal is working with him on the mental aspect....will just take time.

I agree 100% with this. I think when he gets his mental game under control, which will happen with time, he is going to be one heck of a player.

I think Cousins is a beast. I know he has attitude problems but when he catches the ball good things happen. I think a lot of people seems to think he shoots it every time he catches it, its because he does. With his size and capability he should anytime he catches the ball 2 to 8 feet from the basket. Plato is correct, he is still trying to bully people instead of making the moves that he shows every now and again. It will take time and effort for Coach Cal and company to shape him into the most dominate big, versatile, big guy in the country.