DeMarcus Cousins

bigblueinsanity

Cousins is getting critcized, not because he's playing bad, but because anyone who has watched him for 10 minutes can see his potential...and he's not playing up to it yet. Such is often the case with freshmen. John Wall's are the exception, not the rule.

Hopefully, Cousins will improve as the season progresses, but if not, I'm one UK fan that will be happy with 14 and 8. He had a bad game in his first experience against a big time opponent...how dare he? Again, it looked like to me Cousins was too amped up and wanted to make a splash, consequently he forced some stuff and couldn't get himself under control. That's certainly something that he needs to improve on. And, he will with more experience, especially in big atmospheres.

He'll be a top 5 pick in next year's draft. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Wall are the first two guys off the board. That is assuming he declares himself eligible, which I'd be surprised if he didn't.

The only draft projections I have seen yet have Cuz going at #28.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only draft projections I have seen yet have Cuz going at #28.

That doesn't mean much in December. It will be drastically different when the draft rolls around. The NBA draft is all about potential, and there are very few players with the potential of DeMarcus Cousins. He won't last long if he enters the draft. The other thing scouts will love in addition to his potential is the fact that he has an NBA-ready body as a college freshman. I can't count how many guys I remember coming out of high school to the NBA that looked like toothpicks, yet they still went in the lottery.

Most of the mock drafts I found have Cousins going between 23-30 in the first round. Wall is #1 on all of them, with the exception of one where he was projected at #2. Patterson is projected around #10 on most, and #30 on one.

Cousins is #20 on ESPN's current list.

Obviously, drafts are affected by team needs. But, I think Cousins potential is huge and physically, he's NBA ready. If Cousins is a late first rounder, there are going to be a lot of happy teams in the 2010 draft because its going to be the deepest in league history.

I'll be surprised if Patrick Patterson goes off the board before DeMarcus Cousins.

But, its just my opinion. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Most of the mock drafts I found have Cousins going between 23-30 in the first round. Wall is #1 on all of them, with the exception of one where he was projected at #2. Patterson is projected around #10 on most, and #30 on one.

Cousins is #20 on ESPN's current list.

Obviously, drafts are affected by team needs. But, I think Cousins potential is huge and physically, he's NBA ready. If Cousins is a late first rounder, there are going to be a lot of happy teams in the 2010 draft because its going to be the deepest in league history.

I'll be surprised if Patrick Patterson goes off the board before DeMarcus Cousins.

But, its just my opinion. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I don't disagree with you at all. Honestly I think Cuz is a special talent and if I was an NBA GM he wouldn't slip past me!

I was just saying the projections I've seen.

And I actually love Cousins and his attitude.

I don't disagree with you at all. Honestly I think Cuz is a special talent and if I was an NBA GM he wouldn't slip past me!

I don't really have a problem with his attitude...his inability to control his emotions is another thing though. Hopefully, he can improve in that area. He needs to be more patient and let the game come to him instead of trying to force the issue. I think that will improve with experience. It should anyway.

He is having Freshman pains of adjusting mentally to college basketball. He is a very emotional player, I don't see this as having a attitude problem. Coach Cal is working with him on the mental aspect....will just take time.

:thumb: I agree 110%. He is still a freshman being asked to play a HUGE role on a very young team.

Learning to control our emotions is all part of maturing as human beings. Cousins has a TON of ability that we have seen flashes of. He will be fine. It will just take a little while to learn how to control his emotions. I would MUCH rather have a player like Demarcus who at least shows that he cares than a player like Randolph Morris who didn't look like he cared one way or another.

There's an old saying a former boss told me, ... "I would MUCH rather pull back the reins on a wild horse than to beat a dead one. At least you are going to get somewhere with the wild horse." :D

:thumb: At least he shows that he cares!

Question for UK fans, ...

Would you rather have Cousins who has to learn to control his emotions but has the physical ability?

OR

Would you rather have Randolph Morris who rarely showed that he cared at all?

While Cousins is probably more talented than Orton, I'd take Orton any day of the week over "Big Cuz."

Orton just seems to play within the team concept a lot better than Cousins. I was at the Miami-UK game a few weeks ago and said the same thing about Orton and Cousins that we're discussing now.

With Orton, you also get a kid that brings a workman-like mentality and just does anything asked of him to help the team. Don't get me wrong, Cousins is extremely talented and when he's on, the kid is unreal. I just think if I was building a program for the long-haul, I'd take a kid like Orton over Cousins.

I have said this before and I will say it again: Demarcus Cousins is mentally weak and will not be a lottery pick if he leaves this year.

You don't get drafted on your mental toughness. With a good year, Cousins can be a lottery pick.

I like his attitude, but it seems to negatively impact his play, which causes problems in my eyes. I do think that people are too quick to jump on him. A guy like Cousins doesn't seem to respond well to that type of treatment, so let him be...

I just hope he doesn't do something stupid and cost us a game or injure someone.

I remember hearing people talking about how Patterson needed to shoot more, go to the hole more, now Cousin is doing that but people are saying he shouldn't?

Wall doesn't have to show/prove his greatness every play, he IS JOHN WALL. Everyone knows his threats.

As many have said, he is only a few games into his college career, just wait until February and March when he has 30 or so college games under his belt. When was the last time UK had a few really good and strong post players on the same team?

As ekubum said: Patience

Like Sunrise said, he has the freshman pains more than anyone on this team. Has raw superstar talent, but being forced into the role of having to produce big has caused him many mistakes. The talent is there, and for much of the early season the production has been there (even in limited minutes). Boogie only averages about 19 minutes a game. Until today he has averaged around 17 points. I don't care forced shots or not that's good production. Often times he has scored with two guys on him, while being mugged and hacked. Today was the first time he has faced such talent on the inside, and he came out a little too jacked up, something he said he wouldn't do.

But you have to look at it like this, and today really opened my eyes to it.

Take John Henson for example. He was the number five player in the nation last year coming out of high school. We all saw what kind of limited role he played for Carolina, he got some PT, but it was far, far from having to come in and be forced to put up huge production. Even Tyler Zeller who was a top 5 guy last year wasn't called upon to be the man. Although he did put up good numbers for the minutes he played, he didn't have to be that guy.

Now look at Cousins and Orton. Ever since they signed to play for Cal and the Cats everyone in Big Blue Nation has put so much expectations on them to come in and give us quality production and go to potential simply based on their rankings and future potential. Like I said today opened up my eyes as to how most freshman talents get the chance to come in, play good relaxed minutes, and just find their role as it is needed. On Kentucky's side we have four guys who are thrown right into the mix, and who we have to rely on in order to get production and wins.

So Cousins does have some growing up and maturing to do, but after reading that and thinking about what I said about UNC's young star talents and how they are used, just think about what kind of position our guys have been put into. 5 star prospects or not, that's a lot for a freshman to take on, and that has finally hit home today. I don't think anyone in Big Blue land should even question the out put we have got from our guys so far. They have done a heck of a job carrying the huge load they have been asked to carry. Again, it is frustrating to see Big Cuz get all of those stupid fouls, and to see him do some of the things he does. BUT, the talents there, the production has been there to an extent, he and the others just have to keep growing, and they are doing so every game. These guys will be special by March, and two in particular will be on top 20 draft boards.

Great Post!! I wish some of our fans would read this and learn something by it. This is what you call constructive critisism. Some of our fans on here want to judge and criticize an 18 year old kid after 8 games. Did you all not make mistakes at 18? I know I made a ton of them and not proud of most of them. Give him a break!! I've said this in other post and some may be tired of hearing it but oh well, it doesn't do the player, the team, or the program any good to post bashing remarks on here or anywhere for that matter. You think recruits want to come to a scholl where a player is criticized after being very productive and a key part of an 8-0 start? And yes, you did pay your money on here to say anything you want.......yadda yadda yadda, I've heard it all. That doesn't make it right or helpful. Try helping your program instead of hindering it. That's why our fanbase has such a bad reputation as being unrealistic nuts. It's seems as though the nuts are the ones that speak the loudest too. I've listened to countless critics call in to talkshows and bash Boogie on the air even after a win. Isn't he doing enough? I think he's had an amazing first 8 games. Yes, he has made bone heading plays BUT he's made many great plays also. Yes, he has made bone headed decisions BUT he's learning and growing every game. He is learning, you can see that from his remarks. He is maturing everyday and every game. What more do you want people? We are 8-0 and just beat UNC!!! Isn't this exactly what you wanted? It's exactly what I wanted!! We are young, this is expected but like I said, we're 8-0 and life is GOOD as a WILDCAT FAN!! Enjoy it and let Cal do his job!!!

I'm not bashing Cousins in anyway, but a part of me is afraid that if doesn't get his temper in check, it will cost us at some point this season. With that being said, I think Cousins will save our neck more times than he will hurt us. How great would it be if he stayed one more year. I know it'll never happen, but a man can dream.

I have said this before and I will say it again: Demarcus Cousins is mentally weak and will not be a lottery pick if he leaves this year.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And you know this from watching him for a total of............8 GAMES!!!!!!!!!

Gimme a break!!