Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another private school post season play vote?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 410
  • Views 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't they already?

 

Yeah, but they play for a second time and draw OK maybe only 25,000 this time. They could use the proceeds from that second game for all the scholarships they're giving and the new dorm rooms. :D

Actually, I hate to burst the bubble for some of the private school folks but in a year or so there's not going to be any such thing as a "national power" in any sport that isn't a member of a state association.

 

if I remember right last year Kentucky passed the vote that no school in any sport can play a non-member school from any other state. That's why Oak Hill won't be coming to town as much to play Kentucky teams this season!

 

Well, if X, T and the likes break out on their own who will they play? One public school person has said publically that Indiana and Tennessee are about to pass the same rule and Ohio might not be far behind. That would make things awfully difficult for a school to play outside of a state association!

And they should want to be in part of it. I just think that some people think that X and Trinity would become national powers on a year to year basis and I don't think that would happen.

 

I disagree 100%, that's exactly what they would do...Kids at Central, PRP, Butler, etc...that do not have the resources to come to Trinity suddenly wouldn't have to have them...

Actually, I hate to burst the bubble for some of the private school folks but in a year or so there's not going to be any such thing as a "national power" in any sport that isn't a member of a state association.

 

if I remember right last year Kentucky passed the vote that no school in any sport can play a non-member school from any other state. That's why Oak Hill won't be coming to town as much to play Kentucky teams this season!

 

Well, if X, T and the likes break out on their own who will they play? One public school person has said publically that Indiana and Tennessee are about to pass the same rule and Ohio might not be far behind. That would make things awfully difficult for a school to play outside of a state association!

 

Don't think for a minute that "National Powers" can't be created if state athletic associations keep trying to ban the Oak Hill's of the world from competing against members of the state athletic associations. Two words--Corporate Money!! Give the Nike's & Adidas' and the like the opportunity and more improtantly the motivation, and you'll see "super high schools" created that play traveling schedules and tourneys, competing in large venues across the country; while working on their sports year round.

 

Another option would be to create corporate sponsored leagues in various sports, where more traditional private/public HS's that have been banned from state competition by short sighted administrations, could specialize in a given sport or two; and play a regional/national schedule in those sports against similar institutions. This type thing already happens in other countries with government sponsored junior programs.

 

Where do you think the top athletes will end up then?? Probably not at Meade County and Lloyd!!

This will be voted down.

 

Outside of St. X and Trinity the other private schools dont dominate anythig.

 

Just like public schools the two 4A powers have cycles they go through.

Outside of St. X and Trinity the other private schools dont dominate anythig.
Not quite true ... private schools are dominating the girls' sports.

Just like public schools the two 4A powers have cycles they go through.
How long has it been since Trinity and St. Xavier weren't among the elite, dominant teams in 4A?
I disagree 100%, that's exactly what they would do...Kids at Central, PRP, Butler, etc...that do not have the resources to come to Trinity suddenly wouldn't have to have them...

 

 

But you can only play 11 at a time. Why would a running back come to Trinity and sit until his senior year when he can go somewhere else and play for three years. This debate has been focused on football but what happens to the other sports at the private schools? Have you ever heard of Oak Hills football, baseball, soccer teams? While football MIGHT benefit I think the other sports would greatly suffer.

While football MIGHT benefit I think the other sports would greatly suffer.

 

 

I can see them suffering some but with the amount of tradition at both schools kids will still line up to go there even if they cant play in a state championship in their sport.

I can see them suffering some but with the amount of tradition at both schools kids will still line up to go there even if they cant play in a state championship in their sport.
To a certain extent, I would disagree with that. I think athletes want a chance to compete for a championship. My gues is that some would stay and some others may elect to go somewhere else.
To a certain extent, I would disagree with that. I think athletes want a chance to compete for a championship. My gues is that some would stay and some others may elect to go somewhere else.

 

I dont doubt that a few might decide to go there but there are so many generations of families that go to these schools that they will go there no matter what. Not to mention that around 85% of the schools students come from catholic grade schools. I have my doubts that a large chunk will spend their school career there and suddenly switch to public schools to play in a watered down state championship.

If anyone can argue this point from both perspectives it's the old Birdiecat. I have 1 child in both a public school and in a private.

 

Everytime I go to a St. X or Trinity away game it's funny how I always seem to see the public schools they are playing, charging admission. Both of these programs bring with them a contingent of people, alums, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, brothers and sisters, unlike any other athletic program in the state. The only programs that come close are Male, Manual, Lex. Cath., and Bowling Green. It doesn't matter if they are playing in town or in Bowling Green. I don't know many that travel as well as St. X and Trinity.

 

We help feed the Public School coffers at the gate and at their concession stands. Most of these programs are in desparate need of every dollar they can put their hands on. How will they replace those dollars. To put it in perspective, 3 years ago I arrived at an Atherton Versus St. X game at Atherton. It was in the 4th quarter and the score was ........ well let's just say it was in a continuous clock mode. They still charged me admission to get in to see a friends son play in this game.

 

I think the best idea I have heard come out of this thread is to take the state power house teams (public or private) and put them in their own division. Call it 5A. Then allow any program that wants to contend for the 5A title step up to the plate and play a regular 10 game season with a playoff at the end of the season. :walk:

I think the best idea I have heard come out of this thread is to take the state power house teams (public or private) and put them in their own division. Call it 5A. Then allow any program that wants to contend for the 5A title step up to the plate and play a regular 10 game season with a playoff at the end of the season.
This a total pie-in-the-sky idea. No school will do it. They would all prefer to contend and possibly win a state title in their existing classes.
I dont doubt that a few might decide to go there but there are so many generations of families that go to these schools that they will go there no matter what. Not to mention that around 85% of the schools students come from catholic grade schools. I have my doubts that a large chunk will spend their school career there and suddenly switch to public schools to play in a watered down state championship.
If Trinity and St. Xavier were to ever make such a move (and they won't, at least voluntarily), I wonder if Holy Cross and DeSales would be the primary beneficiaries.

First, I don't think this will be approved by the Board, even if it passes.

Second, as I stated previously, and this is why it won't happen, is that a private school section of the KHSAA willbe able to create its own bylaws, etc., which will mean the $ will go back to the schools, not the KHSAA.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.