Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another private school post season play vote?

Featured Replies

You are correct but that is not the point. To suggest there is NO underwriting to private education costs is not valid. Further, add the Title 1 programs, IDEA reimbursements, etc. you then get into a level of expenditures that amount to a fair dollar package. The point made was NO government funds are provided to private schools. The fact is, it does happen. The delivery system is really not the point, the money still goes into a source that is non public.

Methinks I misunderstood. I thought you were taking the point that free reduced lunch is the equilivant of financial aid in a private school. THat argument has been thrown out here several times and I just wanted to state that argument is not a strong argument.

  • Replies 410
  • Views 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree it is not the same as financial aid directly to a student.

I agree it is not the same as financial aid directly to a student.

And in fact, it is not funds that the local school district gives to the student, so it is in NO WAY similar to financial aid that a private school provides to students.

Silver Shadow, I have to admit to having NO idea what you're talking about. :confused:

I found this link from an email I received a few months ago. I think it sets the tone for the education side of this discussion.

 

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0510/p11s01-legn.html

From the article:

But beleaguered public schools have recently received a small, though noteworthy, boost. After accounting for students' socioeconomic background, a new study shows public school children outperforming their private school peers on a federal math exam.

 

 

Overall, private school students tend to do markedly better on standardized tests. But the reason, this study suggests, may be that they draw students from wealthier and more educated families, rather than because they're better at bolstering student achievement.

 

For the bolded part, would like to have had an explanation of what is meant by the first bolded part.

 

2nd bolded part raises a interesting view. Which school is better? THe one who took a 4th grader reading on a 5th grade level and raised it to a 6th grade level or a school that took a 4th grader reading on a 2nd grad level and raised it to the 5th grade level?

From the article:

But beleaguered public schools have recently received a small, though noteworthy, boost. After accounting for students' socioeconomic background, a new study shows public school children outperforming their private school peers on a federal math exam.

 

 

Overall, private school students tend to do markedly better on standardized tests. But the reason, this study suggests, may be that they draw students from wealthier and more educated families, rather than because they're better at bolstering student achievement.

 

For the bolded part, would like to have had an explanation of what is meant by the first bolded part.

 

2nd bolded part raises a interesting view. Which school is better? THe one who took a 4th grader reading on a 5th grade level and raised it to a 6th grade level or a school that took a 4th grader reading on a 2nd grad level and raised it to the 5th grade level?

 

 

Very interesting article and your question is good. Safe to say both are good but which is better? Not sure, what is your take.

I hold everyone responsible for their actions, how you can misunderstand to read accountable for other actions, that is an issue of thinking you need to work on for yourself. :thumb:

 

SILVERSHADOW's QUOTE

"I have family in Iraq and I hold everyone around me accountable, everyday and I support public education."

 

 

What the heck to do you mean I should underdstand what you are saying?

 

YOu hold everyone accountable around me. I asked for your actions. I did not understand what you said when you said I hold everyone around me accountable. Accountable for What? :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Very interesting article and your question is good. Safe to say both are good but which is better? Not sure, what is your take.

I have always felt that the best coaching job done is not always done with the team that won the regional. That is the reasoning why I voted for and promoted Phillip Doyle for Coach of the Year honors in our region. Where Deming was to wear they are is a great coaching job for Coach Doyle and the players.

 

To get a kid reading way below level and catching them up is very rewarding. Public schools have to teach to the masses. Private Schools do not. There is a student that does not want to be in school. Hates it. Dad has told him, he is not in school and he is kicked out of the house. He is over 18 but legally we have to allow him to keep coming to school till he is 21. I don't believe a private school would have to deal with that option. Public schools do.

 

BOTH are needed and are important to our society. And if there was a Christian school that was a feasible choice for my kids, they would be attending there today. And that is from a mom and dad that are both public school teachers.

As to bolstering education....I think there's a misconception, that because although private school children do better on standardized testing, there's no concentration of effort to improve those scores further. That's simply not the case. At Trinity, for example, there is an extensive effort in readying kids for the college entrance exams. Trinity marks and celebrates the increases in their students' scores. And more efforts are planned.

 

I love how the article assumes the socio-economic status of private school kids...obviously no bias in that assumption. :rolleyes:

 

Involved parents are not the privilage of private schools, nor is it the result of an elevated socio-economic status. It is an EXPECTATION of private school institutions, as the education of children is not seen as an institutional exclusivity.

 

I'll give you that public schools may not enjoy such parental involvement, but I don't know how anyone can resent the involvement of the private school kids' families, when compared to those of some public school parents. :confused:

Faith is a strong motivation. And as you said, having a student below average and catching up is VERY REWARDING - something I say is more a calling than anything else. In a public school it becomes more pronounced and with far greater frequency and with equal to/better reward (for the student as much as the teacher).

I'm all for privates vs privates and publics vs publics as long as I don't have to pay taxes for the public school system. With all the catholic school families in KY, that would really hurt.

 

 

HOGWASH!!! We all MUST pay public school taxes. Maybe you can build your own highway system if you decide you don't like the public system. That way you won't have to pay any gasoline, highway, and/or other road related taxes either. HOGWASH!!!

As to bolstering education....I think there's a misconception, that because although private school children do better on standardized testing, there's no concentration of effort to improve those scores further. That's simply not the case. At Trinity, for example, there is an extensive effort in readying kids for the college entrance exams. Trinity marks and celebrates the increases in their students' scores. And more efforts are planned.

 

I love how the article assumes the socio-economic status of private school kids...obviously no bias in that assumption. :rolleyes:

 

Involved parents are not the privilage of private schools, nor is it the result of an elevated socio-economic status. It is an EXPECTATION of private school institutions, as the education of children is not seen as an institutional exclusivity.

 

I'll give you that public schools may not enjoy such parental involvement, but I don't know how anyone can resent the involvement of the private school kids' families, when compared to those of some public school parents. :confused:

 

I agree and if they do they are 100% wrong for doing it. Let me say, that public schools also have parents that are great and involved. We don't have the commitment across the board from all of our parents like private school.

OK, you have convinced me. Lets close all the private schools. One question, where should all the kids report to school tomorrow?

LSUROCK-

 

They don't understand if we shut down the private schools and put them in the public schools what effect it will have on taxes. They don't understand you got to expand your school now, add more classrooms, hire more teachers, more food for the cafeteria, They do not think about these things because the state gives them what they want (NOT all the time, but sometimes).

 

They also do realize the sacrifices the catholic schools have done to keep taxes down. To me I would beg and plead the catholic schools to stay open. If you think you paycheck is low now, wait until the schools actually close(which will never happen) and see how much you have to pay for city/county taxes. So I guess you are right where do they report to school tomorrow. WOW what a chaotic day. I bet the counselors of these public schools beg for them to keep the private schools open. I wander if this is in their CRISIS INTERVENTION PLAN.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.