September 12, 200521 yr But you can only play 11 at a time. Why would a running back come to Trinity and sit until his senior year when he can go somewhere else and play for three years. Because the whole is greater than its parts...
September 12, 200521 yr Before I continue with my 2 cents on this topic, I want to admit that I have not read every entry in this entire thread, I have skimmed over the middle and read the beginning and end. With this said the argument here is still between the “haves and the have nots”-“upper and lower class”. I have experienced both sides of this. I agree that if Ky divides into private and public schools it would be a mistake. 1) Mostly because Ky does not have the number of schools to make this division like some other states have. 2) This seems to be a problem only for the Lou/Lex area, meaning this is where the private schools are more dominant. It is however obvious that many of these private schools have an advantage. I’ve read the comments from the private school supporters about get better coaches ect. Ect. Ect., but the bottom line is this. When you have a better group of kids to pull from you will have a better team. What it all boils down to is support. Private schools receive 3 times or more support from their families than public schools. This is not the public schools fault they just deal with different types of families. One comment said that they needed to work harder on their sports teams, public schools are too busy for the most part with the education of their children than to worry or spend to much money on their sports. I know private schools work hard on education also, but once again they are dealing (for the most part) an upper class child/family that holds education as important, and do not have to deal with the “Problem students” The main reason I am in favor is because other public schools have become magnets for certain sports. In NKy if you are a stud football player and live in Cambell, Kenton, or Boone Counties you will usually end up playing for Beachwood, Highland, or the private school of Cov. Cath. This is not an opinion this is a known fact, I have known of several kids that have played for Highland and Beechwood, yes their parents moved into the district but many moved out when their child graduated. Campbell Co. is a magnet for those that want to wrestle and live in the county because they are the only school in the county that offers the sport. This argument works both ways, but public schools don’t kid yourselves, you can attract kids, and private schools don’t kid yourselves you do attract kids and have an advantage. But when a public school does defeat a private school powerhouse it makes the victory that much sweeter. :laugh:
September 12, 200521 yr Because the whole is greater than its parts... I think because Trinity wins championships. It is called pride, and do what is best for the team. If a player wants to go to another school just to start then he is in the wrong. Why would you go and play for a team that is not going to win a championship. I am not saying everyone in Louisville should go to just the BIG 3 and I understand someone sending their kids to a school they went to. If someone does not care about sending their kid to their old school and the player is good. I would send him to the best. If you send him so he can start his Freshmen year then you are selfish and they probably won't win a game if he is starting TB his freshmen year. :ylsuper:
September 12, 200521 yr Why would you go and play for a team that is not going to win a championship. Because it is not all about winning, its about playing the game. :eek: This is the attitude that gets topics like this started. :irked:
September 12, 200521 yr Before I continue with my 2 cents on this topic, I want to admit that I have not read every entry in this entire thread, I have skimmed over the middle and read the beginning and end. With this said the argument here is still between the “haves and the have nots”-“upper and lower class”. I have experienced both sides of this. I agree that if Ky divides into private and public schools it would be a mistake. 1) Mostly because Ky does not have the number of schools to make this division like some other states have. 2) This seems to be a problem only for the Lou/Lex area, meaning this is where the private schools are more dominant. It is however obvious that many of these private schools have an advantage. I’ve read the comments from the private school supporters about get better coaches ect. Ect. Ect., but the bottom line is this. When you have a better group of kids to pull from you will have a better team. What it all boils down to is support. Private schools receive 3 times or more support from their families than public schools. This is not the public schools fault they just deal with different types of families. One comment said that they needed to work harder on their sports teams, public schools are too busy for the most part with the education of their children than to worry or spend to much money on their sports. I know private schools work hard on education also, but once again they are dealing (for the most part) an upper class child/family that holds education as important, and do not have to deal with the “Problem students” The main reason I am in favor is because other public schools have become magnets for certain sports. In NKy if you are a stud football player and live in Cambell, Kenton, or Boone Counties you will usually end up playing for Beachwood, Highland, or the private school of Cov. Cath. This is not an opinion this is a known fact, I have known of several kids that have played for Highland and Beechwood, yes their parents moved into the district but many moved out when their child graduated. Campbell Co. is a magnet for those that want to wrestle and live in the county because they are the only school in the county that offers the sport. This argument works both ways, but public schools don’t kid yourselves, you can attract kids, and private schools don’t kid yourselves you do attract kids and have an advantage. But when a public school does defeat a private school powerhouse it makes the victory that much sweeter. :laugh: A well-spoken, excellent post, Oldschoolwrestler, which deals with realities and not ignorant suppositions. :thumb:
September 12, 200521 yr A well-spoken, excellent post, Oldschoolwrestler, which deals with realities and not ignorant suppositions. :thumb: There are alot of public schools that have more of an advantage then some private schools in the state. I am sick of people talking about an disadvantage for public schools because these private schools give tuition assistance. What about the private school parents who pay for the tuition and pay city or county taxes for the other guy who is going to the public school, and for free or reduced lunches. I guess we need to get rid of tuition assistance for everything including college. I bet the public school people won't go for that when they have kids that want to go to college. Bottom Line find a way to win. If you don't agree with this then why play. Why have refs, scoreboards, and stats. If this is the case then start a non competitive league and play. This sensitive stuff is going to get America defeated in war when these kids get older and have descide for themselves. God I pray that day doesn't come when we have to speak chinese because mommy wasn't there to hold my hand. Do you think China, Russia, and Al-queda care about fairness? GROW UP KIDS this is LIFE.
September 12, 200521 yr There are alot of public schools that have more of an advantage then some private schools in the state. I am sick of people talking about an disadvantage for public schools because these private schools give tuition assistance. What about the private school parents who pay for the tuition and pay city or county taxes for the other guy who is going to the public school, and for free or reduced lunches. I guess we need to get rid of tuition assistance for everything including college. I bet the public school people won't go for that when they have kids that want to go to college. Bottom Line find a way to win. If you don't agree with this then why play. Why have refs, scoreboards, and stats. If this is the case then start a non competitive league and play. This sensitive stuff is going to get America defeated in war when these kids get older and have descide for themselves. God I pray that day doesn't come when we have to speak chinese because mommy wasn't there to hold my hand. Do you think China, Russia, and Al-queda care about fairness? GROW UP KIDS this is LIFE. I don't believe I mentioned anything about tuition assistance, that does not fit into my theory, nor do I care about it. The advantage is that private may pull kids from other area with no districts, and may pick and choose who they want. As for the taxes, I also pay taxes that help support public transportation yet do not use it. This also does not fit into my theory. Find a way to win? Does this mean at any cost, break, bend rules to fit your cause? Why have refs? then why have police officers? Survival of the fittest. If you don't even the playing field a little then there is no competition, without competition skills decline. I believe you are confusing competitivness with equality. Its a fine line we walk here, but there must be some rules otherwise things get out of hand and anarchy rules. Equality, freedom, fairness is what makes the United States strong. Fighting for what they believe in, not wether they need help or rules. Sports are suppose to help guide children to become good citizens. Fairness, teamwork, pride, dedication. Not pick the side that you think will win and join it. Thank God our forefathers did not do this otherwise we would still be part of England.
September 12, 200521 yr I don't believe I mentioned anything about tuition assistance, that does not fit into my theory, nor do I care about it. The advantage is that private may pull kids from other area with no districts, and may pick and choose who they want. As for the taxes, I also pay taxes that help support public transportation yet do not use it. This also does not fit into my theory. Find a way to win? Does this mean at any cost, break, bend rules to fit your cause? Why have refs? then why have police officers? Survival of the fittest. If you don't even the playing field a little then there is no competition, without competition skills decline. I believe you are confusing competitivness with equality. Its a fine line we walk here, but there must be some rules otherwise things get out of hand and anarchy rules. Equality, freedom, fairness is what makes the United States strong. Fighting for what they believe in, not wether they need help or rules. Sports are suppose to help guide children to become good citizens. Fairness, teamwork, pride, dedication. Not pick the side that you think will win and join it. Thank God our forefathers did not do this otherwise we would still be part of England. Don't want to argue with you, but it has been established on here that this is misleading. Any student can attend any school system, might have to pay tuition to do it, if the school system decides to accept that child when that child enters their 9th grade year. So theoritically, a child living in Franklin County could CHOSE to attend Scott County at the beginning of their 9th grade year if SCOTT County chooses to accept them. From that point, transfer rules are the same for private and public schools. Where the difference does fall is that it is NOT in the role of a public school to draw/recruit students from outside of their district, it is a realistic function of a private school. Some of the private schools in rural communities, must draw from other school districts to have a student body.
September 12, 200521 yr I don't believe I mentioned anything about tuition assistance, that does not fit into my theory, nor do I care about it. The advantage is that private may pull kids from other area with no districts, and may pick and choose who they want. As for the taxes, I also pay taxes that help support public transportation yet do not use it. This also does not fit into my theory. Find a way to win? Does this mean at any cost, break, bend rules to fit your cause? Why have refs? then why have police officers? Survival of the fittest. If you don't even the playing field a little then there is no competition, without competition skills decline. I believe you are confusing competitivness with equality. Its a fine line we walk here, but there must be some rules otherwise things get out of hand and anarchy rules. Equality, freedom, fairness is what makes the United States strong. Fighting for what they believe in, not wether they need help or rules. Sports are suppose to help guide children to become good citizens. Fairness, teamwork, pride, dedication. Not pick the side that you think will win and join it. Thank God our forefathers did not do this otherwise we would still be part of England. I didn't say one thing about cheating. You are wrong with fairness and freedom. Freedom is not free people lose lives for their freedom. I have a friend in Iraq and he says everyday he is so glad his parents corrected him and didn't hold his hand for everything he had to do. I am sick of the whinning. Play with the cards you are dealt with. If you people had any economic sense you would keep the private schools in. If the private schools get kick out and start their own association then they are aloud to recruit. They can give tuition assistance and then you may have more catholic schools in KY. Now what will that do. It definetly will make it unfair on public schools. How many times are the public schools going to shoot themselves in the head? Sports are for teamwork and good citizens. Not for mommy hold my hand and everything I do I don't get blamed for. Responsibility- A VERY LOST WORD IN TODAY'S SOCIETY.
September 12, 200521 yr I was more focused on being able to pick and choose who they want. Meaning they do not have to take children that cause problems, therefore those schools have a better crop to pick from. Thank you for helping me clarify my intent. I do however want to reiterate that I am NOT for the seperation of public and private schools. I do however believe that the instate rule should apply. If I am not mistaken I think Ohio uses this rule. I don't however know if this is a problem in KY though.
September 12, 200521 yr No Sir, apology not required. Thank you for admitting to being the second prime example of a father that is proud of your childs acheivement. You, my friend? Not likely. I would not be caught in the company of someone who goes for the prize, not caring who they knock down and step on in the process. Count me out, I would rather my offspring learn character building lessons while on the losing team. That is where they will learn about fairness, true sportmanship, and also get their fair share of playing time.[/quote Since you choose not to accept PMs, I'll respond publicly. I offered no apology. The phrase meant, excuse me but you are wrong. Just like the "my friend" phrase was made with sarcasm. The rest of your post is just plain ignorance. Thats when you speak without knowing the facts. Not an insult, just my assessment of your comments. So according to you, my son as well as all sons that ever played sports at Trinity, X, etc. learned nothing of character from the experience? You also contend that only players on losing teams (not teams that suffer some losses) learn about fairness, true sportsmanship, and also get their FAIR SHARE OF PLAYING TIME. So now you inculude programs like Male, Highlands, Boyle, Danville, etc. since they win more than their fair share. I've got a solution, why not keep playing the games but lets not keep score and have rules that everyone gets to play equal minutes just like in Tee Ball. BTW, thats sarcasm again. Now that I've seen your true colors, I understand your position. You just want to lower the bar rather than raise it. Sorry my friend (ther I go again), but I'm very satisfied with my decision to send my kids to parochial schools if for no other reason than to shelter them from attitudes like yours. LSUROCK...I agree with you. :eek:
September 12, 200521 yr I didn't say one thing about cheating. You are wrong with fairness and freedom. Freedom is not free people lose lives for their freedom. I have a friend in Iraq and he says everyday he is so glad his parents corrected him and didn't hold his hand for everything he had to do. I am sick of the whinning. Play with the cards you are dealt with. If you people had any economic sense you would keep the private schools in. If the private schools get kick out and start their own association then they are aloud to recruit. They can give tuition assistance and then you may have more catholic schools in KY. Now what will that do. It definetly will make it unfair on public schools. How many times are the public schools going to shoot themselves in the head? Sports are for teamwork and good citizens. Not for mommy hold my hand and everything I do I don't get blamed for. Responsibility- A VERY LOST WORD IN TODAY'S SOCIETY. I have family in Iraq and I hold everyone around me accountable, everyday and I support public education. So, I ask you - who are "you people" vs. our people. What right do you have to category anyone to you comfort level. What are you really saying between the lines you write? You ask "how many times are the public schools going to shoot themselves in the head?" I will now ask you to post what prior times has this happened (public schools shoot themselves in the head). It will be very interesting to hear your answers.
September 12, 200521 yr I was more focused on being able to pick and choose who they want. Meaning they do not have to take children that cause problems, therefore those schools have a better crop to pick from. Thank you for helping me clarify my intent. I do however want to reiterate that I am NOT for the seperation of public and private schools. I do however believe that the instate rule should apply. If I am not mistaken I think Ohio uses this rule. I don't however know if this is a problem in KY though. I am also against the separation of public and private schools. For one thing, there aren't enough private schools in this state to make a separate division work, and I'm generally against the concept anyway. I'm also against the rule that prohibits out-of-state students from playing for Kentucky schools. Paducah has a Catholic school, St. Mary, that usually has a handful of students from Illinois. Christian Fellowship, in Marshall County, has had students from Illinois and Tennessee in the past. Those students attended those schools because there were no private schools in closer proximity to their home. They weren't there for athletic reasons, but they enjoyed the same privilige of competing in athletics as any other student.
September 12, 200521 yr One other possible way to address the issue ... Some states have adopted a multiplier on a school's enrollment, which often bumps a private school up in class in football. Such a move could do something like bump Lexington Catholic and Covington Catholic to 4A, with some other private schools possibly moving up a class. Several of Kentucky's border states use a multiplier ... Illinois uses a 1.65 multiplier on private schools and any others with open enrollment (magnet schools, the Chicago city schools, etc.). Tennessee uses a 1.85 multiplier on private schools. Missouri adopted a 1.35 multiplier several years ago.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.