Gotta LOVE those 6am practices!

Do you agree with 6am practices?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with 6am practices?

• Yes, I think they are beneficial
    • No, I think it's just retarded

I'm not talking about waking up. Heck, you've got to get up by 5:30 (at the latest) to be ready to go by 6. Waking up is not the problem.

The point is that you're not as sharp, mentally or physically, at 6 AM. That allows you to battle through it and make adjustments so that when gameday rolls around & you don't feel on top of your game, you're not caught completely off-guard.

It has nothing to do with a coach trying to make practice boot camp-esque.

If you think there aren't coaches out there who do this for the power/discipline trip, you need to get out more.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not talking about waking up. Heck, you've got to get up by 5:30 (at the latest) to be ready to go by 6. Waking up is not the problem.

The point is that you're not as sharp, mentally or physically, at 6 AM. That allows you to battle through it and make adjustments so that when gameday rolls around & you don't feel on top of your game, you're not caught completely off-guard.

It has nothing to do with a coach trying to make practice boot camp-esque.

You couldn't be more wrong on this one CC. Studies show that you are mistaken in serious kinetics and physiology journals. Studies that date back to when I was in college and our baseball coach who had his doctorate in physiology made us lift at 5:30, although many of us hadn't gone to bed an hour earlier.

Russell County's baseball team was struggling last year and they went to a voluntary 6 a.m. hitting practice every morning for the last couple weeks of the season. Just so happened that all the starters and most of the bench players would show up every morning. They end up getting on a roll and winning the 4th region championship. I don't know if this was the reason but I do think it is more than just a coincidence.

Most of my players love the 6:00 AM practices. We had one the other day becuase of a gym conflict and they came to me wanted to know if they could do on the days were are supposed to have late. They love the fact that they get to go home at the last bell.

You couldn't be more wrong on this one CC. Studies show that you are mistaken in serious kinetics and physiology journals. Studies that date back to when I was in college and our baseball coach who had his doctorate in physiology made us lift at 5:30, although many of us hadn't gone to bed an hour earlier.

A HS kid who is used to going to bed at 11 & getting up at 7 to go to school is not as sharp when they go to bed at 11 and are forced to get up at 5:15 to practice at 6.

Most of the times when teams practice at 6 am it is so the players can go support the fall sports teams. Most of the time at 6 am practice there is not alot of contact drills and from experience most of the drills are individual improvement. Most coaches also reward the kids and make sure they have a nice meal after practice. It is good for the kids to get up and practice early. It does nothing to hurt these kids to be up two hours earlier than usually. Most teams only do it a couple of times a year anyways.

A HS kid who is used to going to bed at 11 & getting up at 7 to go to school is not as sharp when they go to bed at 11 and are forced to get up at 5:15 to practice at 6.

I'm not going to argue that with you. Only saying that the literature supports that immediately in the morning your body gets the maximum benefit from exercise. Either way I like the 6 am'ers.

I'm not going to argue that with you. Only saying that the literature supports that immediately in the morning your body gets the maximum benefit from exercise. Either way I like the 6 am'ers.

I will point out that many HS's have gone to started the school day later because the latest research shows that teens benefit from extra sleep in the morning.

http://www.mathgoodies.com/articles/teens_sleep.html

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2009/01/teens-and-school.html

I will point out that many HS's have gone to started the school day later because the latest research shows that teens benefit from extra sleep in the morning.

And I think that's hogwash. Perhaps parents could insist they get off the X-box before midnight. Not disputing that some schools may or may not have done that. I'd like to see the science behind that one.

And I think that's hogwash. Perhaps parents could insist they get off the X-box before midnight. Not disputing that some schools may or may not have done that. I'd like to see the science behind that one.

I posted some links as you were posting this. Check the previous post.

Hey, I think 6:00 AM practices are fine. Just telling you what we hear in educational circles.

http://www.sleepeducation.com/Topic.aspx?id=42

There is a biological clock in the brain that is reset to a later time during puberty. This biological clock controls when you feel sleepy and alert. It also controls your body temperature. It even controls when your body releases melatonin and many other important hormones.

All of these body activities are reset to occur at later times during puberty and through the teen years. These changes happen around the age of 11 or 12 years. The specific age varies from one teen to another.

The result of this biological change is that teens are not sleepy until 11 p.m. or much later. They are most alert in the evening. This also means that they are still sleepy and finishing their sleep at a later time in the morning

From the same sleep education link.

Later School Start Times

Some schools in Minnesota and in other states have moved their start times later. With the same bedtime, students were able to get more sleep. These were some of the positive results for students:

Attended school more often

Arrived on time more often

Ate breakfast more regularly

Completed more homework during school times (more alert and efficient)

Appeared more alert in class (reported by teachers)

Visited the school nurse fewer times

Had fewer behavioral problems

Earned better grades (Massachusetts study)

Involved in fewer car crashes (Kentucky study)

There were also some problems reported as a result of later school start times:

Less time for sports, arts, and other after school activities

Getting home from school later

Conflicts with jobs

Conflicts with extracurricular activities

Conflicts with bus schedules and with family transportation arrangements

Conflicts with parents’ and teachers’ schedules