Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gotta LOVE those 6am practices!

Do you agree with 6am practices? 96 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you agree with 6am practices?

    • Yes, I think they are beneficial
      63%
    • No, I think it's just retarded
      36%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

My boys have had two this week! :eek: Glad it's not me, lol.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally disagree with coaches asking their players to get up for a 6am practice. It provides nothing.

I totally disagree with coaches asking their players to get up for a 6am practice. It provides nothing.

I think it's great. Physiologically there is an advantage, you can look up the research if you like. But I understand your point. I like the 6am'ers. Lots of morning breath is the only deterrent.

Swimmers at Hoptown hit the pool during the 5 am hour! Talk about waking you up...

 

I think it is good for a team and the individual. It instills an excellent work ethic and makes sure one really wants to play a particular sport. The swimmers get out of the pool and a parent brings breakfast and they eat together and get ready for school. It is quite a bonding time and I think it makes the team stronger.

Many coaches do it to keep there players from getting into things they might not should get into the night before.

 

One of the other issues is that gym scheduling is often times difficult after school. Not at 6am.

As a player we did it a lot on Fridays. I loved doing that. We'd practice early and then the rest of the day your up and awake and feel good about yourself. Then as a player getting Friday evening off was really nice.

Well, let's add a little poll to this one then.

I think its a great Friday time. Coach and players get their time in and work on the necessary things and then the kids have time after school to relax, hang out, and be kids.

It is also good for scheduling. With a number of freshman girls teams increasing, practice time in the gym is precious. Six total teams trying to practice between 3 and 9:30. During the season if there is a triple header then it can be difficult for teams to practice at all. If a team can practice two hours befor eschool, it almost elimintates potential external distractions and frees up time. I think that girls would probably do better than boys.

Also give the team a chance to travel and watch the football team if they are still playing.

Swimmers at Hoptown hit the pool during the 5 am hour! Talk about waking you up...

 

I think it is good for a team and the individual. It instills an excellent work ethic and makes sure one really wants to play a particular sport. The swimmers get out of the pool and a parent brings breakfast and they eat together and get ready for school. It is quite a bonding time and I think it makes the team stronger.

 

So what you are saying is that if a kid doesn't want to get up at 6am then he/she doesn't have a good work ethic or doesn't want to play that sport? Let me tell you, getting up at 6am has no bearing on a kids work ethic or dedication to the sport or team.

 

As a player we did it a lot on Fridays. I loved doing that. We'd practice early and then the rest of the day your up and awake and feel good about yourself. Then as a player getting Friday evening off was really nice.

 

 

Do you think there is the possibility that it could hurt the kids in their school work because they might be too tired from the practice? My personal opinion is that kids need their sleep to excel in school and sports.

 

I know Coach Reynolds Flynn of Covington Holmes had the same beliefs because he said he would never asks us to practice before school and only had us practice one time on the weekend in my 4yrs. of playing.

So what you are saying is that if a kid doesn't want to get up at 6am then he/she doesn't have a good work ethic or doesn't want to play that sport? Let me tell you, getting up at 6am has no bearing on a kids work ethic or dedication to the sport or team.

 

 

 

 

Do you think there is the possibility that it could hurt the kids in their school work because they might be too tired from the practice? My personal opinion is that kids need their sleep to excel in school and sports.

 

I know Coach Reynolds Flynn of Covington Holmes had the same beliefs because he said he would never asks us to practice before school and only had us practice one time on the weekend in my 4yrs. of playing.

 

 

Speaking for myself I did not bother me at all. I felt good the rest of the day after practicing. I would be against doing it everyday, but on occasion I think it is good.

Edited by gold sunrise

I think on occassions it is okay. Like most have said, gym time is precious and sometimes this is the only time that they can get it. Many people exercise in the morning and it helps you throughout the day. Also I think most kids would rather practice in the morning than practice on a Friday evening.

Speaking for myself I did not bother me at all. I felt good the rest of the day after practicing. I would be against doing it everyday, but on occasion I think it is good.

 

GRC is doing the early practices too. I know they had it this morning. Boys will be supporting the football team tonight for Senior night.No problem for Zollo, he starts his workout at 5AM most mornings. He has such a great work ethic.

I think it's great. Physiologically there is an advantage, you can look up the research if you like. But I understand your point. I like the 6am'ers. Lots of morning breath is the only deterrent.

 

I am there with you.

Loved them.:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.