October 18, 200916 yr Big win for UK. The final margin doesn't show how much UK dominated on the offensive line and on defense. If not for poor play by the field goal unit it could easily have been 27-7. With the quarterback situation I thought Joker Phillips did an excellent job of play calling. Hopefully, this leads to a 4th straight bowl appearance. I agree, Joe. I'm not always a huge fan of Joker's play calling, but I didn't question a single play tonight. I thought the game plan was great. Switching to Fidler added an extra something to think about for Auburn. And Cobb got a ton of touches in different ways from the wildcat. But as long as that line continues to block like they are, it won't matter who is taking the snaps because the running backs will get ALL of the yards!
October 18, 200916 yr I agree, Joe. I'm not always a huge fan of Joker's play calling, but I didn't question a single play tonight. I thought the game plan was great. Switching to Fidler added an extra something to think about for Auburn. And Cobb got a ton of touches in different ways from the wildcat. But as long as that line continues to block like they are, it won't matter who is taking the snaps because the running backs will get ALL of the yards! I didn't like the second and 2 fade to Mathews. I thought UK should just keep pounding them with the run but with that said the ball was very catchable.
October 18, 200916 yr Big win for UK. The final margin doesn't show how much UK dominated on the offensive line and on defense. If not for poor play by the field goal unit it could easily have been 27-7. With the quarterback situation I thought Joker Phillips did an excellent job of play calling. Hopefully, this leads to a 4th straight bowl appearance. :thumb: HUGE win for the Cats. It is funny how many are finding fault with the special teams, primarily because of 1 play. The Cats played solid on both sides, especially on defense tonight. Newton has so much upside and I love his demeanor. He doesn't seem to get rattled and makes pretty good decisions for a true freshman. I thought Fidler stepped in and played well. And Cobb, ... well Cobb is just a playmaker and quickly becoming one of my favorite Cats of all time! Warford stepped up HUGE tonight. He was making plays all over the field and that was GREAT to see. Beating a good SEC team on the road, .. this is a HUGE win not just for this season, but going forward for the program. I disagree with some that think it is the biggest win in the Brooks era. That HAS to be the LSU win. But this is the biggest win BY FAR this season. They needed it and got it. Now home for 3 straight games. I think the Cats are going bowling for the 4th straight season, but still a lot of football to play!
October 18, 200916 yr I am shocked, I was at the Ole Miss game and didn't see this one, but that's impressive. Give me hope that Ole Miss can beat Auburn for sure!
October 18, 200916 yr IMO Newton should have never stepped on the field. I agree that now that he has played, he needs to get snaps and be given the opportunity to grow and develop, but I think Fidler should have been given the opportunity to be the man. IMO the offense looked much more fluid with Fidler at QB, and he showed that he is the better QB right now. Actually He looked much more athletic than I thought he is. There were a couple of times he ran it very well.
October 18, 200916 yr I personally was glad they saw what they had in Newton and I thought they did a good job with the play calling until the end. I don't care how tired Cobb was that game winning drive he should have been on the field before 3rd down when he won it. Worst case he's their best decoy! They dominated Auburn on the defensive side! Pretty amazing really!
October 18, 200916 yr IMO Newton should have never stepped on the field. I agree that now that he has played, he needs to get snaps and be given the opportunity to grow and develop, but I think Fidler should have been given the opportunity to be the man. IMO the offense looked much more fluid with Fidler at QB, and he showed that he is the better QB right now. Actually He looked much more athletic than I thought he is. There were a couple of times he ran it very well. Why not? I mean, without Newton, we dont have a back-up QB? Cobb I guess, but he runs it EVERY TIME and dude gets gassed easy. Newton will continue to play and progress a heck of a lot over the next few weeks, and you will be SOOOO glad he stepped on that field today and started his young career this season.
October 18, 200916 yr I don't think Newton looked bad. He was very close to connecting on some deep throws, if he had it would be him getting all the praise right now, and let’s not forget what Newton did in the first half, he managed the game well IMO. I think both guys played better today than Hartline would have and IMO the defense should get all the credit anyway because we as UK fans aren't used to 21 points being enough to win...
October 18, 200916 yr If someone had told me they could beat Auburn and not throw for a 100 yards I would of told them they were crazy. Did Brooks waste the redshirt on Newton? Fidler is hurt...that I think is the primary reason he didnt start..didnt practice Tuesday through Thursday. Newton will get his snaps..I think you will see this the rest of the way..all three playing QB. Weird...all three TD's were scored by the quarterbacks. Great effort on defense tonight. The bloom off Malzhan a bit? What the heck with that flag football play? Huge win for the psyche.
October 18, 200916 yr This one suprised me and I am glad the Cats got it. I hate to see Hartline out with an injury and wish him well with it but imo him out of the lineup helped U.K.. I thought all qb's did a good job, all imo are better than Hartline and Cobb is the best athlete on this team. U.K. needs to get him the football as much as possible. (understatement of the year). Also, the Cats defense had a very good game. Hopefully this one will energize U.K. help them get another couple of wins. U.K. should win next week (La. Monroe) and vs. EKU. Vandy and MSU imo are both posible wins but I don't see the cats wining both, maybe one. JMO
October 18, 200916 yr In the interest of consistency, it's Hartline's fault they won tonight.... Thats one way to look at it. :lol:
October 18, 200916 yr Why not? I mean, without Newton, we dont have a back-up QB? Cobb I guess, but he runs it EVERY TIME and dude gets gassed easy. Newton will continue to play and progress a heck of a lot over the next few weeks, and you will be SOOOO glad he stepped on that field today and started his young career this season. If Hartline is back in 3 weeks I won't be soooo glad, because I would have prefered to redshirt Newton. Cobb is your back up QB until then. And IMO the Cats won in spite of Newton playing, not because he played. Passing and rushing, in the 22 plays Newton was asked to do something other than hand off the ball he accounted for 54 yards out of 357. I'm not saying Fidler was a world beater. In his 11 plays, where he didn't hand off the ball, he accounted for 46 yards. I just think that a junior deserves the opportunity over a freshman. That's just my opinion. But as I have said before. Rich Brooks has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know, and I trust his judgement. He obviously saw something in practice that led him to make his decision.
October 18, 200916 yr If Hartline is back in 3 weeks I won't be soooo glad, because I would have prefered to redshirt Newton. Cobb is your back up QB until then. And IMO the Cats won in spite of Newton playing, not because he played. Passing and rushing, in the 22 plays Newton was asked to do something other than hand off the ball he accounted for 54 yards out of 357. I'm not saying Fidler was a world beater. In his 11 plays, where he didn't hand off the ball, he accounted for 46 yards. I just think that a junior deserves the opportunity over a freshman. That's just my opinion. But as I have said before. Rich Brooks has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know, and I trust his judgement. He obviously saw something in practice that led him to make his decision. Did you not listen to Coach Cal last night?? He takes talent over experience EVERY DAY!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.