Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Cov Cath install lights?

Featured Replies

I can't imagine CCH spending $500k+ to put in lights.

 

I have seen the numbers foe Scott and they were around $300,000.00

  • Replies 304
  • Views 34.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author
I have seen the numbers for Scott and they were around $300,000.00

 

You know, I was actually thinking about this over the weekend, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a light package designed for a field like Cov Cath's come in a fair amount lower than NKU's soccer stadium (which is what I where I was getting my numbers)...maybe even somewhere closer to Scott's number.

 

The lighting we installed at NKU was pretty top-of-the-line stadium lighting - key word, "stadium". The lighting was designed to be on very tall aluminum poles, set back a good way from the field on the periphery of the soccer stadium.

 

Wooten Field is a good bit smaller than the soccer stadium, and there isn't as much room for the lights to be set back as there is at NKU - thus not requiring the lighting system to be as large as they are at NKU, or perhaps Ryle to give a comparative stadium light design. They could also see about cutting out cost by using wooden utility poles instead of aluminum. Not exactly sure where those costs would come in, but that's something to take into consideration, I suppose.

You know, I was actually thinking about this over the weekend, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a light package designed for a field like Cov Cath's come in a fair amount lower than NKU's soccer stadium (which is what I where I was getting my numbers)...maybe even somewhere closer to Scott's number.

 

The lighting we installed at NKU was pretty top-of-the-line stadium lighting - key word, "stadium". The lighting was designed to be on very tall aluminum poles, set back a good way from the field on the periphery of the soccer stadium.

 

Wooten Field is a good bit smaller than the soccer stadium, and there isn't as much room for the lights to be set back as there is at NKU - thus not requiring the lighting system to be as large as they are at NKU, or perhaps Ryle to give a comparative stadium light design. They could also see about cutting out cost by using wooden utility poles instead of aluminum. Not exactly sure where those costs would come in, but that's something to take into consideration, I suppose.

 

Not anymore. KHSAA has strict lighting guidelines. Concrete and metal only.

  • Author
Not anymore. KHSAA has strict lighting guidelines. Concrete and metal only.

 

Wow, I wouldn't have figured building materials would really be a discussion that the KHSAA had much interest in getting into. Obviously the amount of light that the field has to be supplied with is a concern of theirs, but I wonder why they have much of an interest in the means by which the lighting is supplied.

Wow, I wouldn't have figured building materials would really be a discussion that the KHSAA had much interest in getting into. Obviously the amount of light that the field has to be supplied with is a concern of theirs, but I wonder why they have much of an interest in the means by which the lighting is supplied.

 

I'm sure there is one episode somewhere in the US that made everyone enforce more stringent lighting standards. Definitely safer but extremely costly. I'm sure this makes up for a HUGE chunk of the change.

  • Author
I'm sure there is one episode somewhere in the US that made everyone enforce more stringent lighting standards. Definitely safer but extremely costly. I'm sure this makes up for a HUGE chunk of the change.

 

I just looked up their lighting standard. It says "Wood poles, direct burial steel poles, or direct burial steel sub base poles are not recommended." Not exactly sure if that means they won't allow them, or if they'd just prefer something else, but they're definitely not wanting schools to install on wood utility poles.

 

But yes, you're right about the cost of the aluminum poles...I would actually be willing to bet that a single aluminum pole would cost about the same as all of the wood poles put together.

It's a non-issue now it seems, but LED Sports Lighting is the future.

 

My company just did all the lighting for the Braves' SunTrust Park including the LED sports lighters. It would blow your mind how awesome those are. Little to no glare whatsoever, no start-up or cool down time in case of blackout (on that subject they stay so cool anyway blackout is highly unlikely), and obviously energy savings as well.

 

The price point to go LED probably doesn't make sense yet at the High School level, but in the case of CovCath it would have previously solved all their problems in terms of people complaining about glare.

 

suntrust.jpg

From a selfish point of view, I hope they don't get them as it allows for an early playoff game and you could make 2 games instead of 1. I really wanted CovCath to beat Fern Creek last year to set up the Regional Final for a 2 for 1 gameday!!!

  • Author
From a selfish point of view, I hope they don't get them as it allows for an early playoff game and you could make 2 games instead of 1. I really wanted CovCath to beat Fern Creek last year to set up the Regional Final for a 2 for 1 gameday!!!

 

40 years ago.

 

They light poles are being erected today: Lights At Wooten Stadium

They light poles are being erected today: Lights At Wooten Stadium

 

Thanks CWB, I just posted a picture of the lights going up from today in that thread.

  • Author
Are they planning on renaming the field when they finish rebuilding?

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61553[/ATTACH]

 

The stadium has a name. As far as I know, the field is not named.

 

Cov Cath's baseball stadium is Tom Berger Stadium, and the field is Jerry Collins field. I would assume the intent is to do something similar with the football stadium.

 

For what it's worth, I hope they go with Lynn Ray Field instead of just naming it after whomever the biggest donor was for the renovation.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.