Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Cov Cath install lights?

Featured Replies

I don't see how the light issue has become a non-issue. If the neighbors are gone that objected to the lights, new neighbors have moved in and purchased those homes when there where no lights. They may not have purchased the homes if they knew Cov. Cath. was going to install lights.

Just my thoughts.

 

Personnally I think they should get lights. They have a great new field and in order to get the maximum use out of it they would need lights.

I agree, I dont think it means they HAVE to make all of their game on Friday just because they have lights but it gives them more options and could potentiakky earn the school more money at the gate.

  • Replies 304
  • Views 34.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If they were to install lights and only play one game a year on Saturday I think it would be neat if they could have it alternate between Dixie and Highlands which are often viewed as a sort of rivalry game.

  • Author
So, are you bringing this up now because they are talking about getting lights or are you just beating a dead horse?

 

Well I don't like to abuse animals, dead or alive.

  • Author

From the sounds of things, it looks like they (Wirth/Guildugli/Athletic Boosters) are pushing to have lights installed on the field for the 2013 season - although it's unclear if it will happen by then. They're starting to squirrel away the funding, so the money isn't immediately available. My guess is this will eventually include contributions from the football and soccer programs, the Athletic Boosters, and the school itself.

 

Just recently, some of the Athletic Boosters also brought into the discussion the idea of installing new stands and a new press box in conjunction with the project to put in lights. Friday night games will likely increase attendance, which will call for improved stands. The current press box is about 30 years old, and was a last minute "we'll see if we can scrape together enough money to build this" addition to the original Wooten Field construction in the first place - it's barely functional, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it bulldozed and replaced. As long as the money can be found, it only makes sense to build all of that at once.

 

Mark me down as officially in favor of continuing to play games on Saturday afternoons, but sometimes you can't stand in the way of progress, I suppose.

^ But sometimes they gain an extra day because they play on Saturday. It balances out. I'd like to see lights installed, but keep the tradition and play at least one Saturday afternoon game a year.

 

So does their opponent. Advantage - no one.

  • Author
Another "disadvantage" that I've discussed with others. While it may be a little bit of an advantage for CCH to play on Saturday when all other teams are used to playing on Friday, it's once a year for their opponents. Meanwhile, CCH is costing their players 5 days of recovery, at least, throughout a normal season. While most are watching films Saturday and getting treatment, with a full recovery day on Sunday before Monday practice. For half the season CCH's players are either losing a day of practice/preparation or a day of recovery when they play Saturday then Friday.

 

Maybe it doesn't mean much to them. Just a thought.

 

As far as I know, I've never noticed it to actually result in any kind of an advantage or disadvantage when there are short week games or long week games - and I've been following Cov Cath football closely for over 20 years.

 

Virtually all of the opposition to the Friday night games that I've ever heard, though, is based completely on the "tradition" argument. That's certainly the case with me, at least.

From the sounds of things, it looks like they (Wirth/Guildugli/Athletic Boosters) are pushing to have lights installed on the field for the 2013 season - although it's unclear if it will happen by then. They're starting to squirrel away the funding, so the money isn't immediately available. My guess is this will eventually include contributions from the football and soccer programs, the Athletic Boosters, and the school itself.

 

Just recently, some of the Athletic Boosters also brought into the discussion the idea of installing new stands and a new press box in conjunction with the project to put in lights. Friday night games will likely increase attendance, which will call for improved stands. The current press box is about 30 years old, and was a last minute "we'll see if we can scrape together enough money to build this" addition to the original Wooten Field construction in the first place - it's barely functional, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it bulldozed and replaced. As long as the money can be found, it only makes sense to build all of that at once.

 

Mark me down as officially in favor of continuing to play games on Saturday afternoons, but sometimes you can't stand in the way of progress, I suppose.

 

This may have been stated before, but how much are they saying this could cost?

I didn't graduate from CCH so I'm not fully tied into the Saturday games.

 

I'd love lights so the games could be played on Friday nights.

  • Author
This may have been stated before, but how much are they saying this could cost?

 

Drawing from some past construction experience of mine, I posted this a while back:

 

Here are some concrete numbers:

 

The lights for the NKU soccer stadium cost $565,000. That's just the physical lights & poles themselves, craned in, and anchored in place. The electric package is give or take another $50,000.

 

Just for giggles, I talked to the PM for the electrician on the job and asked what he thought about putting lights in at the Cov Cath stadium (he's a local guy and is familiar with Wooten Stadium). He laughed and said, "You could add at least 50 on to whatever I'd be charging." ...and I'm pretty sure he was talking about thousands.

 

So those figures are: $565,000 + $50,000 + $50,000 = $665,000. That doesn't even start to look at a blind for the neighbors' yards. So you add that and your creeping up on three-quarters of a million dollars. That takes an awful lot of youth league field rentals to pay off...

 

The NKU soccer stadium may have a little bit more that what Cov Cath is looking for as far as lights go, but not much.

I can't imagine CCH spending $500k+ to put in lights.

I can't imagine CCH spending $500k+ to put in lights.

 

Ya I was thinking a fraction of that cost.

Stick with the portable lights (noise, exhaust, punts into and out of darkness...now that's a home field advantage). Mud Bowl for Highlands. Portable lights for Beechwood. Now if we can just order up some locusts for NewCath. :D I love the Saturday games. For those who like the Colonels playing on Friday nights, there are the away games.

I had a chance to play in the only night games ever played at Wooten Field and I have to say it was the most exciting home game I have ever played. The atmosphere was outstanding, the student section was raw, and the game was outstanding. Lets be honest, nobody wants to watch CovCath play a team like Harrison County, or Pendleton at 1 on a Saturday. Those type of games never draw attendence and a lot of the Crazies would rather stay home. (This is a fact because it used to irritate me that we had better student sections for away games than home games). You play that game on Friday and it's a whole different story. People are excited all day at school, and the game gets more hyped up. It's Friday night and everyone loves football on Friday night. I would love lights. I would also like to keep a tradition going with the saturday games. Maybe one or two a year. (Switch between Highlands and Beechwood?)

I had a chance to play in the only night games ever played at Wooten Field and I have to say it was the most exciting home game I have ever played. The atmosphere was outstanding, the student section was raw, and the game was outstanding. Lets be honest, nobody wants to watch CovCath play a team like Harrison County, or Pendleton at 1 on a Saturday. Those type of games never draw attendence and a lot of the Crazies would rather stay home. (This is a fact because it used to irritate me that we had better student sections for away games than home games). You play that game on Friday and it's a whole different story. People are excited all day at school, and the game gets more hyped up. It's Friday night and everyone loves football on Friday night. I would love lights. I would also like to keep a tradition going with the saturday games. Maybe one or two a year. (Switch between Highlands and Beechwood?)

 

You make some very valid points, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But let's get the bolded out of the way, nobody wants to watch CovCath play Harrison County or Pendleton at 7:?? on Friday night either. The crazies will stay home for those games on Friday just like Saturday.

 

I'm torn on the issue. CWB and others make good points for keeping the games on Saturday. And as a high school football fan, I always liked it when I could go see a great game someplace on Friday, and then see a "bonus" game on Saturday because CovCath was at home. Of course, the prerequisite to that is CovCath being good and playing a good schedule.

 

Flip side, much like you said, high school football Friday's are much more exciting and CovCAth could be absolutely "eletric" so to speak under the Friday night lights, with most opponents.

 

Not an easy call on my preference.

You make some very valid points, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But let's get the bolded out of the way, nobody wants to watch CovCath play Harrison County or Pendleton at 7:?? on Friday night either. The crazies will stay home for those games on Friday just like Saturday.

 

 

I disagree. The time away from school on Friday until Saturday afternoon kickoff drops attendance. If the gap is only a couple of hours more kids will show up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.