Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best coaches in Kentucky

Featured Replies

I think you have to heavily weight state titles. I don't care how many wins you have, you need to have the titles to go with it. I think the top of the list would be Beatty, Mueller, Glaser, and Harp.

  • Replies 121
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hatz, what did you do before BGpreps. With all of your KY football knowledge living in Virginia it must of been rough.:thumb:

Hatz, what did you do before BGpreps. With all of your KY football knowledge living in Virginia it must of been rough.:thumb:

 

Nobody would talk to me here. :cry:

 

:D

Mason Co.'s David Buchanan would have to be in the mix. He's done a heck of a job there.

 

Yep. I believe he's won more games than all other coaches combined at Mason County.

It's an awful broad subject, if anyone wants to nominate some coaches and have a poll added, I don't care to do it, but I think you will have to many for a poll.

 

Definitely. I think the "best coach" topic is going to get too much of a biased response. Most anybody can try to make an argument by claiming "the things you don't see coach do off the field", or maybe saying "the team's record doesn't reflect the work coach puts into inspiring our young men". This thread is going to get homered.

 

Has to be at least a top five. Make people look beyond their schools/districts.

:thumb:

 

I think with all the factors of: Large Number of Wins, Consistency, State Titles I would say:

 

Beatty 7 Titles

Glaser 5 Titles

Dale Mueller 7 titles

Sam Harp 7 titles

 

 

There are a lot of others with maybe 2 or 1 titles and great success in terms of wins. Just looking at Titles as a separating factor and these four are at least 2 or more State titles ahead of the next guys who are active. I could easily see a MaGlone, Hilton, Haywood, Schneider, Redmond, and others make a great case but wins + Consistency + Titles brings these four to the top IMO.

 

 

Another aspect I think that should be considered is what shape the programs were when these coaches inherited them. When you look at Dudley Hilton he has built up Breathitt Co, Bell Co, and Bourbon Co. into football powers (even though Bourbon couldn't sustain it). Bell Co. was 0-10 the year before he took over the 1st time and he built them into a powerhouse quickly. Same with Breathitt Co. Then there is Bourbon was has been bad before he got there and bad after he left. When you are talking about building a program no one has done it better or more consistently than Coach Hilton.

Another aspect I think that should be considered is what shape the programs were when these coaches inherited them. When you look at Dudley Hilton he has built up Breathitt Co, Bell Co, and Bourbon Co. into football powers (even though Bourbon couldn't sustain it). Bell Co. was 0-10 the year before he took over the 1st time and he built them into a powerhouse quickly. Same with Breathitt Co. Then there is Bourbon was has been bad before he got there and bad after he left. When you are talking about building a program no one has done it better or more consistently than Coach Hilton.
Some places are easier to win titles at than others. Give me a coach that took a poor program and turned it around. Chuck Smith, Hilton, Holcomb, A coach that stays at Highlands, T, X, Danville, is going to get one.
Some places are easier to win titles at than others. Give me a coach that took a poor program and turned it around. Chuck Smith, Hilton, Holcomb, A coach that stays at Highlands, T, X, Danville, is going to get one.

 

One may be right but not several if he isn't a good coach. Your comment leads me to believe that you think it is easier to coach at Highlands, T,X, or Danville which may be right in the beginning of a coaches career however; if your not successful early in the mentioned coaching positions you won't be around long. Lets not forget that the programs mentioned (Highlands, X and T not sure about Danville) play tougher schedules than most teams in Kentucky.

If Chuck Smith was still at Boyle County I think it would be him hands down. However, that's not the case.

One may be right but not several if he isn't a good coach. Your comment leads me to believe that you think it is easier to coach at Highlands, T,X, or Danville which may be right in the beginning of a coaches career however; if your not successful early in the mentioned coaching positions you won't be around long. Lets not forget that the programs mentioned (Highlands, X and T not sure about Danville) play tougher schedules than most teams in Kentucky.

 

:thumb:

I think that Coach Berner from Fort Campbell has to be in the mix for this. One losing season (his first year there) and has since returned the Falcons to the level it was in the late 70's. With the turnover of folks at a military installation and continuous deployments of parents, coaching and mentoring these kids is even harder. Coach Berner and his staff do a great job with these young men.

Coach Shawn Berner at Fort Campbell

 

Back to Back 2A titles, a possibility of a three-peat

1 Mr. Football & All-American (Micah Johnson), possible 1st round NFL draft pick

Possible Mr. Football this season (Antonio Andrews)

Numerous D1 football players, several more small-college players

All completed in this decade, just getting started

Coach at a military high school which experiences constant turnover of students & the continuous real world challenge of coaching kids of Soldiers deployed to war.

I know that it's the homer card, but it's not like I'm really that aware of other coaches in Kentucky.

 

Aside from the accomplishments, of Coach Berner, that have been listed by both jrjohnson & FalconBacker he's an outstanding guy. I wish though, that it was a quality of him that I wasn't forced to find.

 

My son really looked up to him as more than a coach (because there were times when I wasn't around), and found (through the unfortunate passing of his teammates father) that Coach Berner cares tremendously about his players. Through coaching, he teaches responsibility, integrity, and honesty, just to name a few.

 

Since my son has passed, Coach Berner has always been there for us, not a day goes by that we don't get an email or a text from him just to say hi and that he's thinking of us. Tim wasn't his son, but he grieves for him as if he were.

 

Later.

Bob Schneider Newport Central Catholic

Noel Rash Beechwood

 

I almost choked on this one. I checked the KHSAA here are some stats:

 

Schneider 517 games, 338 wins 65%

Hilton 418 games, 320 wins 76%

Haywood 429 games, 319 wins 74%

Redman 429 games, 307 wins 71%

Glaser 360 games, 296 wins 82%

Harp 381 games, 294 wins 77%

 

Just because you have the most wins does not mean you are a good coach. He has been coaching since the days of leather helmets. jmo

I know that it's the homer card, but it's not like I'm really that aware of other coaches in Kentucky.

 

Aside from the accomplishments, of Coach Berner, that have been listed by both jrjohnson & FalconBacker he's an outstanding guy. I wish though, that it was a quality of him that I wasn't forced to find.

 

My son really looked up to him as more than a coach (because there were times when I wasn't around), and found (through the unfortunate passing of his teammates father) that Coach Berner cares tremendously about his players. Through coaching, he teaches responsibility, integrity, and honesty, just to name a few.

 

Since my son has passed, Coach Berner has always been there for us, not a day goes by that we don't get an email or a text from him just to say hi and that he's thinking of us. Tim wasn't his son, but he grieves for him as if he were.

 

Later.

 

That's what it is all about. Great post, and thank you for sharing.

I almost choked on this one. I checked the KHSAA here are some stats:

 

Schneider 517 games, 338 wins 65%

Hilton 418 games, 320 wins 76%

Haywood 429 games, 319 wins 74%

Redman 429 games, 307 wins 71%

Glaser 360 games, 296 wins 82%

Harp 381 games, 294 wins 77%

 

Just because you have the most wins does not mean you are a good coach. He has been coaching since the days of leather helmets. jmo

 

This has been rehashed time and again. First, Coach Schneider spent his first five years coaching in the GCL. It wasn't easy to get wins against the likes of Elder, Moeller, Roger Bacon, and Purcell in the '60s. Second, you have to look at his record since '74, the first year that they made the KY playoffs. What his staff has done since 2000 is nothing short of great. I know that there have been a lot of detractors of Coach Schneider, but currently, there aren't many better staffs in the state.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.