MMA News: Anderson Silva to Move Up to Light Heavyweight Permanently?

At Silva's level, that belt is virtually meaningless now. There's zero doubt that he is the best in the world at 185. There's nothing for him to prove or accomplish by staying there...other than finishing a legacy for people to look back on and wow at the fact that he dominated an entire weight class for 5-10 years.

But, imagine the legacy if he vacates the belt (everyone will still know he was the man at 185) and moves up and wins the title at 205 in similar fashion. That would be an era of dominance never before seen in the sport, and one that would be very difficult to match.

Moving up makes the most sense, and it has for a while. There are some marquee fights to be had...much more intriguing than fights with Maia, Marquardt, etc.

I'm thinking someone doesn't like that fact, That it's a very good chance Silva would have to Tapout...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Warrior, I like you, I have always liked you, but I am beginning to think your are family with Maia, or his towell boy or something. :lol:

I think you may be the only one who actually thinks he would win that fight. I mean anything can happen, but if they fought 100 times, I think the Spider wins 99.6 of them. :D

I'm thinking someone doesn't like that fact, That it's a very good chance Silva would have to Tapout...

More like Maia isn't good enough to keep Silva interested at 185...but we all see the world differently. :thumb:

Silva would KO Maia or it would be just like the leites fight IMO. Maia's stand up is not that good IMO.

I could see him spending 5 rounds laying on his back so he wouldn't get hit...that's the only way he'd stay conscious.

Silva would KO Maia or it would be just like the leites fight IMO. Maia's stand up is not that good IMO.

Exactly what I have tried to say, it would be like Leites all over again. It would be Silva looking for action and Maia not taking. It will be Maia looking for takedowns, and then getting made to look foolish. Then in turn will be Maia on his back in a guard with Silva standing with his hands on his waist waiting for him to get back up. I can see it now, without even having to watch the fight.

Exactly what I have tried to say, it would be like Leites all over again. It would be Silva looking for action and Maia not taking. It will be Maia looking for takedowns, and then getting made to look foolish. Then in turn will be Maia on his back in a guard with Silva standing with his hands on his waist waiting for him to get back up. I can see it now, without even having to watch the fight.

:thumb:

We've seen it once...no need to see it again. Unless Silva agrees to a BJJ match against Maia in return for Dana's blessing on a Roy Jones boxing match...:lol:

Nothing, other than a rematch with Henderson, makes sense...Silva needs to be at 205 now. He's 34...let's see what he can do while he's still at an elite level. Because, I have a feeling when he starts to decline, he'll be like Liddell. Guys who rely on that level of striking have to be razor sharp, IMO...there's a thin line between great and average.

Well, maybe not as bad as Liddell. Silva is much better rounded as a fighter.

Liddells striking has never been very technical at all. He always keeps his hands down and asks for people to knock him out. It took a while but people finally started to figure him out. A good technical striker with good defense (Rampage) is best suited to beat someone like Liddell and maybe Silva. Silva doesn't keep his hands up all that often either but he moves his head around like no other and avoids getting hit very well.

Liddells striking has never been very technical at all. He always keeps his hands down and asks for people to knock him out. It took a while but people finally started to figure him out. A good technical striker with good defense (Rampage) is best suited to beat someone like Liddell and maybe Silva. Silva doesn't keep his hands up all that often either but he moves his head around like no other and avoids getting hit very well.

I think that's it. Liddell entices guys into swinging and stays just far enough back until there's an opening. Fighters with less power could never get away with that. Silva can stand within range and duck and dodge while hitting the shots he wants. Both are overpowering when their opponent goes on the defensive as well. Like 5wide said, once Silva starts to age out of his prime he'll lose that elusiveness. Of course, Silva is also a black belt in BJJ, Judo, and Tae Kwon Do; he may transform into a grappler. :lol:

I also don't think Rampage would have a prayer against Silva. That would be a mauling. And I really like Rampage.

I think that's it. Liddell entices guys into swinging and stays just far enough back until there's an opening. Fighters with less power could never get away with that. Silva can stand within range and duck and dodge while hitting the shots he wants. Both are overpowering when their opponent goes on the defensive as well. Like 5wide said, once Silva starts to age out of his prime he'll lose that elusiveness. Of course, Silva is also a black belt in BJJ, Judo, and Tae Kwon Do; he may transform into a grappler. :lol:

I also don't think Rampage would have a prayer against Silva. That would be a mauling. And I really like Rampage.

Rampage has some sick power and he blocks really well. I think he'd have a great shot against Anderson Silva because of that. But who knows.

Rampage has some sick power and he blocks really well. I think he'd have a great shot against Anderson Silva because of that. But who knows.

He blocks punches very well, but Silva doesn't throw unless it's open. Rampage has also been very susceptible to kicks and the clinch, both of which are among Silva's strongest points. While Rampage is explosive, he's also lacking in quickness, something Silva would certainly exploit.

He blocks punches very well, but Silva doesn't throw unless it's open. Rampage has also been very susceptible to kicks and the clinch, both of which are among Silva's strongest points. While Rampage is explosive, he's also lacking in quickness, something Silva would certainly exploit.

Rampage has been susceptible to leg kicks and the clinch but if he could get close and land one of his big upper cuts or hooks he could finish about anyone IMO.

Rampage has been susceptible to leg kicks and the clinch but if he could get close and land one of his big upper cuts or hooks he could finish about anyone IMO.

Rampage has been susceptible to the Muay-Thai clinch in the past...however, even in those fights, he took an incredible beating before being finished. That's why I think he'd have a chance. He's tough enough to absorb some punishment. To date, most of Silva's opponents can't withstand his onslaught. Maybe Rampage could weather a storm or two. And, if he could, maybe he could get in and land a big shot or get Silva to the mat in good position.

I don't know what kind of chin Silva has because I've never seen him get hit. :lol:

I suspect he'd be pretty tough though.

I don't think Rampage would beat him, but I give him a better chance than most.