Anniversaries in High School Football in 2009

There are three anniversaries in high school football this season that I can think of in WKY:

1. BGHS will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Elvis Donaldson Stadium/Monie Beard Field. Hard to believe that I took the field there in the sixth, seventh, and eighth seasons!

2. Warren East will be celebrating their varsity program's 40th anniversary. East started their team in 1969 with the merger of two or three smaller high schools, only one of which (North Warren) had a program before.

3. Russellville will be celebrating the 70th (yep, you read that right!) anniversary of beautiful Rhea Stadium/Barrett Field. I consider this grand old stadium the Fenway Park of KY high school football, especially with its quirky corner of an end zone that is at least a foot higher than the rest of the field! The Army Corps of Engineers completed the stadium in time for the 1939 season. Ironically, Elvis Donaldson was the head coach of the Panthers at the time! I LOVED playing at that stadium!

Any other milestone anniversaries you all might like to let us know about?

:D

Hey PurpleHaze,

Warren Central will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of their 1989 Class 4A state runner up team. I might add a team that beat BG 35-28 at El Donaldson Stadium that year. Just thought I would throw that in there for good measure. Especially since we haven't had much to get excited about recently anyways.

And, I didn't know that I took the field at El Donaldson in its 20th anniversary season. I always loved playing in that stadium. El Donaldson and Rash Stadium in O'boro were the two stadiums I liked the most that I played in against KY schools (Evansville Memorial would be far and away number one and Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville would be second). I never got to play in Rhea Stadium in Russellville, but I think that is a nice local stadium, as well.

Hey PurpleHaze,

Warren Central will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of their 1989 Class 4A state runner up team. I might add a team that beat BG 35-28 at El Donaldson Stadium that year. Just thought I would throw that in there for good measure. Especially since we haven't had much to get excited about recently anyways.

And, I didn't know that I took the field at El Donaldson in its 20th anniversary season. I always loved playing in that stadium. El Donaldson and Rash Stadium in O'boro were the two stadiums I liked the most that I played in against KY schools (Evansville Memorial would be far and away number one and Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville would be second). I never got to play in Rhea Stadium in Russellville, but I think that is a nice local stadium, as well.

Hey Central!

I was unfortunately living in Memphis and had to work that weekend...what a game I missed! One of only two losses by the Purples that year and the only loss at home...Paducah Tilghman inflicted the other loss at McRight Field 7-6 in the 3A Region One Championship. Central and BGHS had outstanding teams that year! I appreciate the prop on The Big El!

Lafayette is having their 50th Class Reunion this Saturday July 25th.

My brother and his wife who lives in Florida will be attending.They both graduate back in 1959 from Lafayette.

Hey Super!

That was the year I was born (in January)! My graduating class at BGHS (1977) had a combination reunion/50th birthday party in June!

:D

The Fort Thomas Jr. Football League will be celebrating 50 years.:dancingpa

One of the keys of having and sustaining a top-drawer program is to have an excellent JR Football League program. 50 years, huh? Quite an accomplishment!:thumb:

The Fort Thomas Jr. Football League will be celebrating 50 years.:dancingpa

Best high school football program in our state, public or private, also has the longest standing 'little league' football program associated with a particular school.

Anybody think that might add too the success of the birds? :notworthy: :thumb:

Hey PurpleHaze,

I was going to mention that and ask that isn't 1989 the last year Warren Central beat Bowling Green?:lol:

Can't seem to recall when you guys actually beat us.......:idunno:

I was going to mention that and ask that isn't 1989 the last year Warren Central beat Bowling Green?:lol:

Can't seem to recall when you guys actually beat us.......:idunno:

Ha. We 'actually' beat you guys in 1991 and twice in 1993, as well. And then we beat you in 2000 or 2001 or sometime around there. So, since that 1989 win we have beaten BG a whopping total of 4 times. As I said, we have not had much to get excited about recently. :ohbrother:

Ha. We 'actually' beat you guys in 1991 and twice in 1993, as well. And then we beat you in 2000 or 2001 or sometime around there. So, since that 1989 win we have beaten BG a whopping total of 4 times. As I said, we have not had much to get excited about recently. :ohbrother:

Hang in there. It can only get better, right?

At least this game is still considered a rivalry......:cool:

I almost forgot...it was 40 years ago that the two-point conversion rule was adopted by the KHSAA as well! Before 1969, ALL plays after the TD was scored, including running into the end zone or catching a pass in the end zone, were worth only one point. For many years, BGHS never attempted a PAT by kicking, and neither did a lot of other teams.

In BGHS's 74-14 Homecoming victory over Morganfield in 1950, the Purples scored 11 TDs and eight PATs...and all PATs were by the run or the pass. QB Doug Bradford and FB Jerry Baucum each scored 25 pts, four rushing TDs and one PAT each by running the ball!:D

I remember being a stringer for a radio station and BGP in 2002, and BGHS at Central was one of the featured games. Man, did us Purples get our rears waxed that night! The final was Central 34, BGHS 6, and the Dragons' superb receiver, Lonnell DeWalt, put on a show on both sides of the ball that night!:eek:

I remember being a stringer for a radio station and BGP in 2002, and BGHS at Central was one of the featured games. Man, did us Purples get our rears waxed that night! The final was Central 34, BGHS 6, and the Dragons' superb receiver, Lonnell DeWalt, put on a show on both sides of the ball that night!:eek:

I'll never be able to understand how Dewalt was covered the next year by a guy 9 inches shorter than he was. Warren Central had five, FIVE, yards of offense in the first half of the '03 game. I mean, he had 125 alone against St. X! That and 2005 are the only years since 2002 I felt Warren Central was better than Bowling Green, though 2005 is just a personal feeling, and much less supported than '03. If that 2003 game is played at the end of the year, I think Central wins.

Of course, if the 2001 game is played at the end of the year, I think Bowling Green would have waxed Central. I got to rush the field after that one, so I wouldn't trade it!