Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Third Memphis Player Has Invalid Test Scores

Featured Replies

It's starting to get ugly...3 of Memphis' top 6 leading scorers had questionable test scores...From Jeff Goodman:

 

Derrick Rose and Robert Dozier weren’t the only ones on Memphis last year to have questionable test scores back in high school.

 

People forget that Tigers guard Doneal Mack wasn’t allowed into Florida after his test score was flagged.

 

According to sources close to the situation, here's what happened with Mack.

 

While at Statesville Christian (N.C.), he took the ACT for the first time and received a score that was on a verge of qualifying. He took it again, the score jumped significantly and it was flagged.

 

Florida, where he was committed to at the time, said he had to take it a third time in order to be admitted. His third score was slightly higher than the first one, but was still thrown out because it wasn’t high enough.

 

Florida deemed him inadmissible and he wound up qualifying to play at Memphis – where his third test score was admissible.

 

That means that three of the top six scorers from John Calipari's team last season have question marks with their test scores.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate this whole situation.

If I am not mistaken, Smith was recruiting Mack after he was denied admission to Florida. This is really a stretch and Goodman admitted to Matt Jones that this "wasnt that big of a deal" via text.

As an isolated issue, it's not that big of a deal. As a series of events, that is yet to be determined...

If I am not mistaken, Smith was recruiting Mack after he was denied admission to Florida. This is really a stretch and Goodman admitted to Matt Jones that this "wasnt that big of a deal" via text.

 

3 invalid test scores and it isn't a big deal....:rolleyes:

 

I really really hope for all UK fans(the non obnoxious, non crazy ones that I like and respect...so about 25% of them.....) sake that the craziness has ended and doesn't follow Calipari from Memphis.

 

Whether it's a "big deal" or not, it isn't a good look at all........

Edited by PurplePride92

Uh, Jeff Goodman who wrote the story stated that "it wasnt that big of a deal". Not me or Matt Jones. Take a look at the post.

As an isolated issue, it's not that big of a deal. As a series of events, that is yet to be determined...

 

Absolutely. :thumb:

 

FWIW, I remain confident that Barnhart did the right thing. We all knew that Cal wasn't / isn't afraid to take on some kids that other people aren't. Too much was riding on this hire. I feel good about the fact that Barnhart & Pres. Lee Todd did their due diligence & got clearance / approval from the NCAA.

^That's how I feel about it as well. I feel confident that Calipari will not cause problems here at UK and I am glad with how Banhart and others researched him through the NCAA and I am sure other avenues.

So did he have invalid test scores or were his scores simply questionable?

His 2nd score was questionable and thrown out.

 

His 3rd score was the one used, and it was high enough to admit him to Memphis.

 

So, he was eligible, and technically, nothing was done that would violate NCAA rules, the way I read it.

 

However, it is a character issue and like GT said, by itself it may not be that bad. But throw it in with the other test score issues and the dark cloud surrounding Memphis and these test scores continues to grow.

His 2nd score was questionable and thrown out.

 

His 3rd score was the one used, and it was high enough to admit him to Memphis.

 

So, he was eligible, and technically, nothing was done that would violate NCAA rules, the way I read it.

 

However, it is a character issue and like GT said, by itself it may not be that bad. But throw it in with the other test score issues and the dark cloud surrounding Memphis and these test scores continues to grow.

 

Why? His third score got him into Memphis. At least at this point in the Rose situation it looks like Memphis had no knowledge of possible cheating. Calipari was at Memphis. It's not like he had his pick of kids like the UNC's and Dukes of the world. He took questionable kids to get top notch talent. He might not be in that situation ever again if he's picking and choosing. I think it's funny that he is the only big time coach that is "slimy" when other coaches have a worse record as far as violations than him. It's not a perfect situation, but if the NCAA and your school clear the player?

I think that players who have flags around their eligibility will have a tough time getting thru the process with Sandy Bell in charge of compliance. I could be wrong, but she seems to run a very tight ship when it comes to that.

 

I think one thing that would help this situation at all colleges is if the NBA were to pass a 2 year rule instead of 1. Sure, you may see a few more kids going overseas, but I agree with Bobby Knight on this one. If they are going to be a student, 1 year doesn't cut it. I don't think they should go the NFL 3 year rule, but 2 would work IMHO. This may push some of the borderline eligible kids to possibly focus a little more on their academics.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.