Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Nation's Top-Rated Recruiting Class?

Featured Replies

Yes the average ranking of the group goes up but there is an extra player which isn't a bad thing. I don't feel like this group is right now better than the fab five but if they can prove it on the court I would be very very happy. I also don't think that all five must be starting and win the NC in order to be considered better. The fab five didn't have a returning all american and possibly the best big man in the country to compete with for a starting role. As to your last point, sure, but these two teams will never play so that will never be known. Again though, I don't think this group of kids will end up being better than the fab five, but only time will truly tell.

 

I was saying that in order for UK's class to be better than the Fab 5, they would have to win the national championship. The original Fab 5 at least made it there. These guys would have to out do them to be considered better, IMO.

  • Replies 122
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was saying that in order for UK's class to be better than the Fab 5, they would have to win the national championship. The original Fab 5 at least made it there. These guys would have to out do them to be considered better, IMO.

 

My bad, but I think even if they were to win it all this year, I wouldn't even crown them better. Like I said they could have some pretty good players coming back. The only way to settle it is play the game in NCAA March Madness with just the freshman.:thumb:

I remember all this very, very well. You brought back a lot of memories for me also. I was at UK about that time and got to watch a full practice at Memorial Collesium with Coach Hall's permission. I sat at mid court for 3 hours one Friday afternoon and never budged till it was over. I agree that group never quite achieved the levels that we thought were sure to happen. Hopefully, this time things will be different.

 

I think the difference is John Calipari.

UK have a very good class, but the Fab 5 was once in a lifetime, whether the rankings show it or not. Webber is a future HOF'er. Rose was amazing in college and was a very solid pro. Juwan Howard was extremely tough in college, and was a good pro especially during his first few years.

 

1. Webber or Cousins- Webber. I like Cousins but it's not even close.

2. Howard or Orton- Howard. I think Orton could be very good, but Howard for now, probably in the future as wel.

3. J.Rose or Wall- Push. I think Wall can be better, but he has to: come here for this to matter, actually play in a few games, and have the impact college wise that Jalen Rose had.

4. King or Bledsoe- I will take King. I have watched Bledsoe and he is a nice player, but not as high quality as he is being ranked.

5. Ray Jackson or John Hood- Possibly a push, I love Hood's game, but I will take Jackson for now.

 

Fab Five all day long.

 

Very good breakdown, but you are comparing high school potential to college productivity. The only fair comparison now would be rankings by respected sites when both parties were leaving high school. After next season we will be able to compare actual production of both and it will be on a more level playing field IMO.

Very good breakdown, but you are comparing high school potential to college productivity. The only fair comparison now would be rankings by respected sites when both parties were leaving high school. After next season we will be able to compare actual production of both and it will be on a more level playing field IMO.

 

That's the reality of these comparisons.

 

I also am a great victim of the Fog of time that tends to make the past players to reveal less "blemishes" in their game and the current to be more easily scrutinized. I've never been overly impressed with the Fab Five of Michigan. Call me a cynic or whatever but if you take a good look at their 2 NCAA runs (when all 5 were together), they had some breaks in who they played.

 

1992: They were a #6 seed (shows they weren't all that in the regular season) who played a 14 seed in the 2nd round (Arizona was upset), and got by a good but not great Oklahoma State team (Sean Sutton anyone) and upset Ohio State in the Regiona Final by 3. They drew a Cincy team (4 seed) in the Final Four that survived when the other top 3 seeds were out by weekend 2.

 

Average margin of victory for 5 wins: 6 points (bolstered by a 12 point win vs. East Tennessee State)

 

http://www.databasesports.com/ncaab/tourney.htm?yr=1992

 

 

1993: They were a #1 seed (Big Ten Runner-up). They were a little more impressive this season but got help again in the tourney. Slipped by #9 seed UCLA when the Bruins turned it over late in the back court and Wolverines won by 2. Posted an 8 point win over George Washington University (#12 seed) in Sweet 16 and a 5 point win in the Final against #7 seed Temple. Never had to face a "chalk" seed along the way.

The Final Four is what most remember because they played perhaps their best game of the year vs. Kentucky to win in OT. (If Mash doesn't foul out we might not be having this discussion) Then a tough loss to UNC in the Final.

 

http://www.databasesports.com/ncaab/tourney.htm?yr=1993

 

Long post to say, the Fab Five are probably the best class based on those 2 years of results and hype coming in. However I've never thought that made them that great of a team nor anymore special than some select classes of Ohio State, UCLA, North Carolina State (see David Thompson), or others who achieved more final results.

 

I know every tourney champ has the ability to face lower seeds by upsets in any great tourney run but most of the best ones aren't winning by the margins above and still being called "one of the greatest collections of talent."

 

Just some thoughts. :thumb:

Very good breakdown, but you are comparing high school potential to college productivity. The only fair comparison now would be rankings by respected sites when both parties were leaving high school. After next season we will be able to compare actual production of both and it will be on a more level playing field IMO.

 

That is my point! You cannot compare them to the Fab 5. Now, I just don't see them as having as big of an impact. Yes, UK could be one of the best teams but if they are they will be led by Patterson and Meeks two upper classmen. How does this class compare to past ones? I don't think it is as strong as some of the other classes.

 

Now if this were the 2007 class and we were bringing in

1. Love

2. Rose

22. James Harden

23. Johnny Flynn

and another player in the 35-40 range say DeJuan Blair, I think we would have a case. Other than Wall, who we don't have right now the other players might not be this good. Cousins has potential, I love Orton's potential, Bledsoe and Hood are solid but best class ever?

UK have a very good class, but the Fab 5 was once in a lifetime, whether the rankings show it or not. Webber is a future HOF'er. Rose was amazing in college and was a very solid pro. Juwan Howard was extremely tough in college, and was a good pro especially during his first few years.

 

1. Webber or Cousins- Webber. I like Cousins but it's not even close.

2. Howard or Orton- Howard. I think Orton could be very good, but Howard for now, probably in the future as wel.

3. J.Rose or Wall- Push. I think Wall can be better, but he has to: come here for this to matter, actually play in a few games, and have the impact college wise that Jalen Rose had.

4. King or Bledsoe- I will take King. I have watched Bledsoe and he is a nice player, but not as high quality as he is being ranked.

5. Ray Jackson or John Hood- Possibly a push, I love Hood's game, but I will take Jackson for now.

 

Fab Five all day long.

Comparing these players right now isn't legit. Your comparing these players after they played in the NBA, to players not yet in college!IMO thats Not fair!:thumb:

That is my point! You cannot compare them to the Fab 5. Now, I just don't see them as having as big of an impact. Yes, UK could be one of the best teams but if they are they will be led by Patterson and Meeks two upper classmen. How does this class compare to past ones? I don't think it is as strong as some of the other classes.

 

Now if this were the 2007 class and we were bringing in

1. Love

2. Rose

22. James Harden

23. Johnny Flynn

and another player in the 35-40 range say DeJuan Blair, I think we would have a case. Other than Wall, who we don't have right now the other players might not be this good. Cousins has potential, I love Orton's potential, Bledsoe and Hood are solid but best class ever?

 

I agree that you can not say this is the best class untill something is acomplished, but I do think if UK does get Wall this will be the best incoming class of players ever. Not saying they will measure up after their college days are over, but they would be in my mind the greatest recruiting class, just maybe not the greatest college team. I think with Wall, on paper, these recruits out shine all that have come before them.

Comparing these players right now isn't legit. Your comparing these players after they played in the NBA, to players not yet in college!IMO thats Not fair!:thumb:

 

Well you guys are comparing players that haven't played a second of basketball to a class that went to to straight final fours. How is that fair to the Fab 5.

 

As for this being the best class ever, I personally feel that most of these guys are a little overrated. I love these players and am glad they are at UK, but I don't see how Cousins is the number two player in the country. I don't see Bledsoe as a top 25 player. Wall should be 1 though, I do agree with that. I think this years class seems very down compared to other classes.

I'm sure I've over looked it on here, but just in case, Rivals now has UK as the #1 Recruiting Class in the Country.

Would be huge if Wall signs. I cannot think of the last time or anytime for that matter that a team brought in the first and second ranked players in the same class respectively, that is huge. How huge you ask? We'll pretty much think back to previous classes, kind of like Michael Beasley being on the same team as OJ Mayo, or perhaps Greg Oden and Kevin Durant on the same squad. That's what kind of magic you could have by signing the two top ranked players, not to mention bring in four five stars and four in the top 25, five in the top 40, then add Dodson who if ranked in this class would more than likely also be top 40 according to Jerry Meyer and other recruiting analysis. Could be pretty fun to see how the Wall situation plays out. I think we will certainly be okay without him, but like shown above signing him with Cousins could be monumental.

UK have a very good class, but the Fab 5 was once in a lifetime, whether the rankings show it or not. Webber is a future HOF'er. Rose was amazing in college and was a very solid pro. Juwan Howard was extremely tough in college, and was a good pro especially during his first few years.

 

1. Webber or Cousins- Webber. I like Cousins but it's not even close.

2. Howard or Orton- Howard. I think Orton could be very good, but Howard for now, probably in the future as wel.

3. J.Rose or Wall- Push. I think Wall can be better, but he has to: come here for this to matter, actually play in a few games, and have the impact college wise that Jalen Rose had.

4. King or Bledsoe- I will take King. I have watched Bledsoe and he is a nice player, but not as high quality as he is being ranked.

5. Ray Jackson or John Hood- Possibly a push, I love Hood's game, but I will take Jackson for now.

 

Fab Five all day long.

 

Shouldn't we wait and see how our guys are going to pan out first.

Shouldn't we wait and see how our guys are going to pan out first.

 

Yes, but its nice to just imagine in case something bad happens.

Shouldn't we wait and see how our guys are going to pan out first.

 

Yes Hoopboy that is what I'm trying to say. You cannot compare an incoming class to the Fab 5. Maybe this time next year we will be able to have the conversation. I think if we try to put that kind of expectations on these players we could have a bunch of disappointed fans.

Yes Hoopboy that is what I'm trying to say. You cannot compare an incoming class to the Fab 5. Maybe this time next year we will be able to have the conversation. I think if we try to put that kind of expectations on these players we could have a bunch of disappointed fans.

 

Next year it won't be comparable or not, we will know. We win championship then its this class but if we get to the finals and loose on a timeout then they are the same. Fab Five is a prove team though and this team isn't.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.