Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK Great Mike Casey on BCG .."He's in Over His Head"

Featured Replies

In public.

 

I can assure you there are some serious negative opinions from former UK players who wish to remain anonymous.

 

:laugh:

  • Replies 152
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a clip a few years ago where Coach K was just starting out at Duke and it showed a young Coach K with a 29-32 record. Even if Casey is correct I believe it is still too early to tell. More importantly, I worry how UK attracts a high profile coach who realizes his shelf life is two years; especially after seeing what happened to the co-coach of the year his first year. It is frustrating but we cannot adopt this attitude this early IMO.

Get a grip people.

 

 

 

We have at best 4 SEC caliber players on this team right now. 2 are freshmen, 1 is a Soph. and 1 is a Junior. You can guess who they are. Can you seriously expect to be a top 20 team when this is ALLL the real live talent you have???

 

 

Billy G. will need 2 more years to recruit his first class through to graduation. Then we will have a better idea of how he is performing.

We have at best 4 SEC caliber players on this team right now. 2 are freshmen, 1 is a Soph. and 1 is a Junior. You can guess who they are. Can you seriously expect to be a top 20 team when this is ALLL the real live talent you have???

 

While I have always agreed to a point, how many Big 12 caliber players did he get it done with at A&M?

 

There is more "real live talent" than you want to give credit for....

Well, I think it's just a continuation of what Orlando started. This is the probably the worst stretch of KY basketball, maybe ever, and it's still not really that bad, by other programs standards. I think if given time, BCG will turn it around. He's just got to get rid of some of the bad eggs first.

 

I think that BCG needs enough time to get his guys in. This UK team is still young. Meeks is a junior who missed virtually the whole year last year. Patterson is a sophomore. Galloway, Liggins, Harrellson are all newcomers to D1 basketball. Our most experienced players are Stevenson & Porter. That's scary. Even Harris came a semester late and should've sat out a year. Let's face it, the biggest reason he came to UK was so he could play as a frosh. That's not how champions recruit.

 

How would Mike Casey know if BCG is in over his head? I'm not a big fan of BCG but Mike Casey's opinion doesn't do any more for me than some opinions on here.

 

:thumb: As great as Casey may or may not have been, I don't value his opinion too much. He may be close to the program, but I have a hard time believing he's familiar with BCG & how he reacts to diversity.

 

For some...Twenty years from now All UKs basketball problems will still be Tubby's fault...

 

Grandson The Wildcats haven't been the same Since that Dog gone Tubby Smith took over for Our Lord and Savior Ricky Pitino...:ohbrother:

 

The bottom line is that this team has 1 senior who sparingly plays. :isurrender: The juniors on the team are simply role players, with the exception of one player who has had a breakout year. Who is responsible for this roster?

 

Tubby doesn't have any impact on the X's & O's, but you're lying to yourself if you think, even if BCG does move on, that he'll leave the cupboard as bare as Tubby did.

This is WAY out of hand. BCG's last two years haven't been any worse than Tubby's last two, and at least BCG has some talent coming in.

 

Give the guy another year or two before you hang him out to dry. I'm sure comments like this are really going to help attract talent to the program (both players and a new coach if it comes to that).

 

Completely ridiculous.

 

Which of the two has worse losses in that 2 year span. I think BCG is much worse.

^ Short memory there. Kansas and Indiana were both embarassing. Swept by Florida and Vandy his last two years.

Nearly exactly my same thoughts while OTS was there.

 

Tubby had much more success AND when the conference was probably at it's peak the past 10 years. No conference has had 40% of their members get in nearly every season as the SEC has. This year that streak is over. But while I want BCG to succeed, ... he has 2 potential all american caliber players in Meeks and Patterson and IMHO, they should have been much better this season.

 

I still think BCG deserves more time. It took about 7-8 years for the pressure to get to Tubby. It seems to have gotten to BCG much sooner. I hope they finish strong as I still maintain, if they win out and have a decent run in the SEC tourney, they can still get into the dance.

Which of the two has worse losses in that 2 year span. I think BCG is much worse.

 

First, I'm not trying to blame everything on Tubby. I just wanted to point out that BCG didn't take a 30 win team and then struggle to make the tourney with them.

 

That said, BCG does have the stinkers against GW and VMI. Those are definitely worse losses than during Tubby's last two seasons.

 

However, Tubby's was 9-7 in the SEC each of his last two years. BCG was 12-4 last year, and is 8-6 currently. If they split the last two, they will match Tubby's 9-7 mark.

 

There is just WAY too much over reaction going on right now. Nobody is happy with the losses, but its not as bad as many want to think. Give the guy another year or two, and if they're still struggling, then we'll know its time to change.

 

I also think people don't understand how young this team really is. There are EIGHT players on the roster that weren't on the team last year. Thats almost half.

While I have always agreed to a point, how many Big 12 caliber players did he get it done with at A&M?

 

I'm not sure if I am agreeing w/ you or not, but that is even more of a reason to be excited about the future. Do people not grasp that he's been the coach of the year in the Big 12 and SEC w/ in the last couple of years? While he may have some fans and outsiders scratching their heads aren't the decisions his to make? People have no idea what he sees every day. I think it will be comical to see which people do a 180 next year.

I'm not sure if I am agreeing w/ you or not, but that is even more of a reason to be excited about the future. Do people not grasp that he's been the coach of the year in the Big 12 and SEC w/ in the last couple of years? While he may have some fans and outsiders scratching their heads aren't the decisions his to make? People have no idea what he sees every day. I think it will be comical to see which people do a 180 next year.

 

I hope your right...:thumb:

Would somebody please tell them that times have changed.

 

How? IN what way?

 

It's funny, I live down here in Tar Hole land. When those kids put on UNC they know they are part of something special. Roy brought that back to the program after Doherty pretty much let it slip away.

 

Why should UK be less than they were? Why have the times changed? UNC came back just fine. Duke likewise after their debacle of the mid 90's. UCLA.

In public.

 

I can assure you there are some serious negative opinions from former UK players who wish to remain anonymous.

 

:thumb:

First, I'm not trying to blame everything on Tubby. I just wanted to point out that BCG didn't take a 30 win team and then struggle to make the tourney with them.

 

That said, BCG does have the stinkers against GW and VMI. Those are definitely worse losses than during Tubby's last two seasons.

 

However, Tubby's was 9-7 in the SEC each of his last two years. BCG was 12-4 last year, and is 8-6 currently. If they split the last two, they will match Tubby's 9-7 mark.

 

There is just WAY too much over reaction going on right now. Nobody is happy with the losses, but its not as bad as many want to think. Give the guy another year or two, and if they're still struggling, then we'll know its time to change.

 

I also think people don't understand how young this team really is. There are EIGHT players on the roster that weren't on the team last year. Thats almost half.

 

The strength of the SEC in Tubby's last 2 years was far superior to this SEC right now. Not being a defender, just stating that comparison is a little apples to oranges.

The strength of the SEC in Tubby's last 2 years was far superior to this SEC right now. Not being a defender, just stating that comparison is a little apples to oranges.

 

Very true. The SEC will be lucky to get 4 teams in the dance this year. During Tubby's time UF won back to back NCAA titles and they are struggling to even make the tourney this year. UK's schedule is also MUCH weaker this season than we have seen in many years.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.