Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK Great Mike Casey on BCG .."He's in Over His Head"

Featured Replies

First, I'm not trying to blame everything on Tubby. I just wanted to point out that BCG didn't take a 30 win team and then struggle to make the tourney with them.

 

That said, BCG does have the stinkers against GW and VMI. Those are definitely worse losses than during Tubby's last two seasons.

 

However, Tubby's was 9-7 in the SEC each of his last two years. BCG was 12-4 last year, and is 8-6 currently. If they split the last two, they will match Tubby's 9-7 mark.

 

There is just WAY too much over reaction going on right now. Nobody is happy with the losses, but its not as bad as many want to think. Give the guy another year or two, and if they're still struggling, then we'll know its time to change.

 

I also think people don't understand how young this team really is. There are EIGHT players on the roster that weren't on the team last year. Thats almost half.

 

 

So the SEC is just as good now as it was then?

  • Replies 152
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the SEC is just as good now as it was then?

 

Probably not, but they did win MORE games last year, and could do so again this year.

 

I'm just saying its difficult to say UK has gotten WORSE since BCG got here when you look at the numbers. Especially so when you look at this year's senior class.

 

Thankfully, I don't see any way that he's not back next year. And thats really the least I can expect. If he tanks next year, I won't be too upset if UK goes looking for a replacement. I don't expect that will be the case though. He has good talent coming in, and has shown in the past he's capable of being a very good coach.

Probably not, but they did win MORE games last year, and could do so again this year.

 

I'm just saying its difficult to say UK has gotten WORSE since BCG got here when you look at the numbers. Especially so when you look at this year's senior class.

 

Thankfully, I don't see any way that he's not back next year. And thats really the least I can expect. If he tanks next year, I won't be too upset if UK goes looking for a replacement. I don't expect that will be the case though. He has good talent coming in, and has shown in the past he's capable of being a very good coach.

 

To me, there is no probably about it, ... the SEC is down big time. A lot of young talent, but just not very good this year.

 

I agree that BCG should have another year or two, .. but in basketball you can rebuild MUCH faster than almost any other sport.

Oh, yes they have!

 

For the worst, I might add.

 

Tubby Smith fan I presume?

While I have always agreed to a point, how many Big 12 caliber players did he get it done with at A&M?

 

There is more "real live talent" than you want to give credit for....

 

No offense on this team, whatsoever.

No offense on this team, whatsoever.

Two of the top 20 players in the country...

:thumb: How old is the poor fellow anyway.

He's around 60. He led Shelby County to the 1966 state championship, and if he hadn't broken his leg in a car accident in the summer of 1969, many believe UK would have won the national title in 1970.

 

I value his opinion and his basketball knowledge. If we could magically put Mike Casey on this year's UK team, in his heyday form, they would more than likely be 25-4 right now instead of 19-10.

To me, there is no probably about it, ... the SEC is down big time. A lot of young talent, but just not very good this year.

 

I agree that BCG should have another year or two, .. but in basketball you can rebuild MUCH faster than almost any other sport.

 

I can agree with that.

Tubby had much more success AND when the conference was probably at it's peak the past 10 years. No conference has had 40% of their members get in nearly every season as the SEC has. This year that streak is over. But while I want BCG to succeed, ... he has 2 potential all american caliber players in Meeks and Patterson and IMHO, they should have been much better this season. I still think BCG deserves more time. It took about 7-8 years for the pressure to get to Tubby. It seems to have gotten to BCG much sooner. I hope they finish strong as I still maintain, if they win out and have a decent run in the SEC tourney, they can still get into the dance.

 

:laugh:That's hilarious. Meeks is averaging like 25 a game and Patterson nearly 20. And time will tell if pressure is getting to BCG. I think he's got this team on the right track and I believe next year everyone will start to see that.

Two of the top 20 players in the country...

 

With nothing at all to go with them.

:laugh:That's hilarious. Meeks is averaging like 25 a game and Patterson nearly 20. And time will tell if pressure is getting to BCG. I think he's got this team on the right track and I believe next year everyone will start to see that.

 

I am glad you are finding humor in it. Everyone I talk with who is associated with the program believes that the pressure is getting to him. I hope you are right and that next year shows marked improvement. They should with everyone back plus Orton, Pilgrim, etc coming on board.

 

You can rebuild MUCH faster in basketball than any other sport. Do you disagree with thatl? Does that tickle your funny bone as well?

Well, I think it's just a continuation of what Orlando started. This is the probably the worst stretch of KY basketball, maybe ever, and it's still not really that bad, by other programs standards. I think if given time, BCG will turn it around. He's just got to get rid of some of the bad eggs first.

 

Those bad eggs you talk about, I guess are the Tubby recruits that are left. You do realize that Billy G has enough of his own players here now, that he doesn't have to be playing the Porters, Harris's, etc. Unless you think Tubby is calling Billy G and making him start those guys...:cool:

 

I mean yeah those players should not be starting at UK, however Tubby is not the one starting them right now. That is Billy G's decision. He very well could start his own guys in like Galloway, Miller, Liggins, Harrellson, but he has chose not to. So no reason to blame Tubby for this team now, he is not the one playing these guys still.

First, I'm not trying to blame everything on Tubby. I just wanted to point out that BCG didn't take a 30 win team and then struggle to make the tourney with them.

 

That said, BCG does have the stinkers against GW and VMI. Those are definitely worse losses than during Tubby's last two seasons.

 

However, Tubby's was 9-7 in the SEC each of his last two years. BCG was 12-4 last year, and is 8-6 currently. If they split the last two, they will match Tubby's 9-7 mark.

 

There is just WAY too much over reaction going on right now. Nobody is happy with the losses, but its not as bad as many want to think. Give the guy another year or two, and if they're still struggling, then we'll know its time to change.

 

I also think people don't understand how young this team really is. There are EIGHT players on the roster that weren't on the team last year. Thats almost half.

 

Not the best comparison. In Tubby's last two years here, the SEC was ten times better than it has been the last two years...

 

This team should not be where it is at right now. Yeah Tubby brought in some players in like Harris and Porter who are not that great. However he is not the one who keeps playing them. I really dont get why Billy G has been doing that. As we seen the other night when he used a different lineup in the second half, we actually have some players that can play. He just chooses not to use them for whatever reason.

:thumb:

Those bad eggs you talk about, I guess are the Tubby recruits that are left. You do realize that Billy G has enough of his own players here now, that he doesn't have to be playing the Porters, Harris's, etc. Unless you think Tubby is calling Billy G and making him start those guys...:cool:

 

I mean yeah those players should not be starting at UK, however Tubby is not the one starting them right now. That is Billy G's decision. He very well could start his own guys in like Galloway, Miller, Liggins, Harrellson, but he has chose not to. So no reason to blame Tubby for this team now, he is not the one playing these guys still.

Those bad eggs you talk about, I guess are the Tubby recruits that are left. You do realize that Billy G has enough of his own players here now, that he doesn't have to be playing the Porters, Harris's, etc. Unless you think Tubby is calling Billy G and making him start those guys...:cool:

 

I mean yeah those players should not be starting at UK, however Tubby is not the one starting them right now. That is Billy G's decision. He very well could start his own guys in like Galloway, Miller, Liggins, Harrellson, but he has chose not to. So no reason to blame Tubby for this team now, he is not the one playing these guys still.

 

Of course, this situation has absolutely nothing to do with Orlando. God's chosen coach.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.