March 4, 200917 yr Tubby was here what 9 years? National Championship (2 seed) Elite 8 (3 seed) Second round (5 seed I believe) Sweet 16 (3 seed) Elite 8 (1 seed) 2nd round (1 seed) Elite 8 (2 seed) 2nd round (8 seed) 2nd round (8 seed) So lets see started on top, went down to the second round after three years. Then built it back up, and put together 3 great teams together in a row. Just didn't have the luck we did in 96-98 to make that jump to the final four. Then started going back down again. So yeah he has shown that once things started going down, that he would get the program back up again. Also looking at those seeds, we did pretty well still under him. Yet people completely hated him. Which is my point, for why I dont get why people are giving Billy G a pass right now. I mean yeah he needs a few years, but there is no reason this team should miss the tournament, and if we do it falls all on him. How? That doesn't prove anything. He may have built the program back up, or he may have gave up on it and took off to Minnesota....wait a minute. :sssh:
March 4, 200917 yr Percentage wise, it's better than Dan Issels. :ohbrother: So you have coached at the D1 and/or the NBA level? That is the only way that yours could be better is if you actually have been there. Where did you coach at? If you have more knowledge than he, maybe you should be coaching. :thumb:
March 4, 200917 yr :ohbrother: So you have coached at the D1 and/or the NBA level? That is the only way that yours could be better is if you actually have been there. Where did you coach at? If you have more knowledge than he, maybe you should be coaching. :thumb: Heck with Issel, I wished I had as much knowledge as some of the people on this board.
March 4, 200917 yr Let's see ... Issel scored over 2,000 points in college and 27,000-plus points in the ABA and NBA, and he coached in the NBA. I would say that yes, he does ... post 81
March 4, 200917 yr Tubby was here what 9 years? National Championship (2 seed) Elite 8 (3 seed) Second round (5 seed I believe) Sweet 16 (3 seed) Elite 8 (1 seed) 2nd round (1 seed) Elite 8 (2 seed) 2nd round (8 seed) 2nd round (8 seed) So lets see started on top, went down to the second round after three years. Then built it back up, and put together 3 great teams together in a row. Just didn't have the luck we did in 96-98 to make that jump to the final four. Then started going back down again. So yeah he has shown that once things started going down, that he would get the program back up again. Also looking at those seeds, we did pretty well still under him. Yet people completely hated him. Which is my point, for why I dont get why people are giving Billy G a pass right now. I mean yeah he needs a few years, but there is no reason this team should miss the tournament, and if we do it falls all on him. The only difference is in what they inherited. If BCG still performs at this level in two years, I'll be bashing away with everyone else. For the first couple of years with a new coach, the previous coach deserves SOME of the credit/blame for the state of the program. You don't build your own team over night. I think a lot of people forget that Tubby was not fired. Barnhart was sticking with him just like he's sticking with BCG and the same as he did with Brooks.
March 4, 200917 yr The only difference is in what they inherited. If BCG still performs at this level in two years, I'll be bashing away with everyone else. For the first couple of years with a new coach, the previous coach deserves SOME of the credit/blame for the state of the program. You don't build your own team over night. I think a lot of people forget that Tubby was not fired. Barnhart was sticking with him just like he's sticking with BCG and the same as he did with Brooks. Mitch has shown loyalty and patience with his coaches and that is to be commended. I have openly criticised BCG, but I don't want to see him leave right now. That could be VERY damaging to the program. 1-2 more years is his window to show that he can win at a very high level with his players.
March 4, 200917 yr The only difference is in what they inherited. If BCG still performs at this level in two years, I'll be bashing away with everyone else. For the first couple of years with a new coach, the previous coach deserves SOME of the credit/blame for the state of the program. You don't build your own team over night. I think a lot of people forget that Tubby was not fired. Barnhart was sticking with him just like he's sticking with BCG and the same as he did with Brooks. He may not have been fired by Barnhart or the university itself, but Tubby definitely was fired.
March 4, 200917 yr He may not have been fired by Barnhart or the university itself, but Tubby definitely was fired. :thumb:
March 4, 200917 yr Sarcasm, look it up. Don't need to, as I said your post are just proving my point more and more......(and people can get make own opinions on that :sssh:). This is getting boring and imo once again turnng into another:deadhorse: bashing and not discussion thread, that is jmo and I am done with this one....:walk:
March 4, 200917 yr He may not have been fired by Barnhart or the university itself, but Tubby definitely was fired. :ohbrother:
March 4, 200917 yr Heck with Issel, I wished I had as much knowledge as some of the people on this board. And we all wish we had your coaching record! A coach with a better winning percentage and background than Issel should have his opinion respected and honored on here!! :thumb:
March 4, 200917 yr Again, not trying to say the situations are identical. No two are for what that's worth. However, if they axed Gillispie after two seasons, they could be heading down the same road as UCLA with 3 coaches in 5 seasons and that typically doesn't work well. Should we make it a new rule on BGP to put a disclaimer on every comparison we make? No. I just think that while your timeline is correct, it would lead to disaster for UK to keep changing coaches - the results were different. Cunningham and Bartow posted outstanding records at UCLA but were tired of the comparisons to Wooden despite the records. Billy G doesn't have as good of a record of results at UK. However, like you I don't think axing him in the 2nd year is a good thing at all.
March 4, 200917 yr He may not have been fired by Barnhart or the university itself, but Tubby definitely was fired. By that same scenario, was Gene Bartow Fired from UCLA in '77? Was Adolph Rupp fired in '72 because it wasn't his idea to be retired? Was Joe Hall fired after a lackluster '85? I agree with you a lot Jim but not on this one. Tubby might have been afraid he would be fired but that is not the same at all.
March 4, 200917 yr By that same scenario, was Gene Bartow Fired from UCLA in '77? Was Adolph Rupp fired in '72 because it wasn't his idea to be retired? Was Joe Hall fired after a lackluster '85? I agree with you a lot Jim but not on this one. Tubby might have been afraid he would be fired but that is not the same at all. Don't know enough about Bartow's situation Rupp was forced to retire by state law Hall's wife was very ill at the time and he wanted to spend more time with her I think Tubby was just burned out at UK. That job has so much pressure that after a while, most people would believe it is time for a change. I would venture to say that it is unlikely we will see a coach stay at UK 10 years again.
March 4, 200917 yr No. I just think that while your timeline is correct, it would lead to disaster for UK to keep changing coaches - the results were different. Cunningham and Bartow posted outstanding records at UCLA but were tired of the comparisons to Wooden despite the records. Billy G doesn't have as good of a record of results at UK. However, like you I don't think axing him in the 2nd year is a good thing at all. :thumb: That's all I'm saying.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.