Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK Great Mike Casey on BCG .."He's in Over His Head"

Featured Replies

Don't know enough about Bartow's situation

Rupp was forced to retire by state law

Hall's wife was very ill at the time and he wanted to spend more time with her

 

I think Tubby was just burned out at UK. That job has so much pressure that after a while, most people would believe it is time for a change. I would venture to say that it is unlikely we will see a coach stay at UK 10 years again.

 

Actually, Joe was as much burned out as Tubby. Trust me on that one.

  • Replies 152
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol::lol::ohbrother: Have you ever heard of Adolph Rupp? Thanks for this post though and I mean that, it tells me all that I need to know for any future reference.:walk:

 

edit

The only difference is in what they inherited. If BCG still performs at this level in two years, I'll be bashing away with everyone else.

 

For the first couple of years with a new coach, the previous coach deserves SOME of the credit/blame for the state of the program. You don't build your own team over night.

 

I think a lot of people forget that Tubby was not fired. Barnhart was sticking with him just like he's sticking with BCG and the same as he did with Brooks.

 

:thumb: People tend to forget what Tubby had when he got here.

And we all wish we had your coaching record! A coach with a better winning percentage and background than Issel should have his opinion respected and honored on here!! :thumb:

 

I'm .500 baby. Bottom line is, Dan Issel's a man with an opinion just like everyone else. People die in Iraq every day to give me the freedom to express my opinion same as Issel, Casey, or whatever.

By that same scenario, was Gene Bartow Fired from UCLA in '77?

 

Was Adolph Rupp fired in '72 because it wasn't his idea to be retired?

 

Was Joe Hall fired after a lackluster '85?

 

I agree with you a lot Jim but not on this one. Tubby might have been afraid he would be fired but that is not the same at all.

 

I wasn't reading the message boards in '85, so I don't recall if there was massive fan angst over the job JBH did. Little too young for that one, and definitely so for Bartow and Rupp. But I stand by my statement that the fans fired Tubby.

I wasn't reading the message boards in '85, so I don't recall if there was massive fan angst over the job JBH did. Little too young for that one, and definitely so for Bartow and Rupp. But I stand by my statement that the fans fired Tubby.

 

I wasn't reading the message boards but was around the media and the fans in '85 and believe me there were a lot of people wanting Joe gone because of less than stellar results in the tourney in the 80's. (In their opinion) In fact the Lex Herald's expose detailing booster corruption was the final piece that made Joe want out of the rat race that is UK basketball.

I'm .500 baby. Bottom line is, Dan Issel's a man with an opinion just like everyone else. People die in Iraq every day to give me the freedom to express my opinion same as Issel, Casey, or whatever.

.500????

 

In what?

I wasn't reading the message boards but was around the media and the fans in '85 and believe me there were a lot of people wanting Joe gone because of less than stellar results in the tourney in the 80's. (In their opinion)
Heck, there were fans wanting Hall out in every year except 1978. Hall wasn't in any trouble with UK's administration when he made the decision to step down. He did it because he felt it was time.

In fact the Lex Herald's expose detailing booster corruption was the final piece that made Joe want out of the rat race that is UK basketball.
Actually, the Herald-Leader piece came out a few months after Sutton was hired as Hall's replacement.

This is hilarious. Things never change. It makes a lot of sense to run a guy out of a program because he couldn't turn things around his second year. For those that say, "well I just don't think he can get it done," would giving him a few years to see if he can get things done or not be too much to ask. Just because Mike Casey, or whatever his name is, said he didn't think he was right for the job, does not mean it's a technical fact that he can't. Heck, Kenny Skywalker said Tubby Smith was the greatest coach we ever had at KY. Just because they can play a little ball, don't mean we have to accept what they say as the gospel of Pitino.

Heck, there were fans wanting Hall out in every year except 1978. Hall wasn't in any trouble with UK's administration when he made the decision to step down. He did it because he felt it was time.

Actually, the Herald-Leader piece came out a few months after Sutton was hired as Hall's replacement.

 

There were inklings during Hall's tenure that this was in the works.

 

I felt all of these coaches: Joe, Bartow, and Tubby left because of the pressure but not because they were about to lose their jobs.

There were inklings during Hall's tenure that this was in the works.
Yes, there were ... and it may have played a role in Hall's decision. But there has never been any indication that he was forced out.

I felt all of these coaches: Joe, Bartow, and Tubby left because of the pressure but not because they were about to lose their jobs.
Maybe, maybe not ... just because the fans are up in arms doesn't mean that the administration is ready to pull the trigger.
Tubby was here what 9 years?

 

National Championship (2 seed)

Elite 8 (3 seed)

Second round (5 seed I believe)

Sweet 16 (3 seed)

Elite 8 (1 seed)

2nd round (1 seed)

Elite 8 (2 seed)

2nd round (8 seed)

2nd round (8 seed)

 

So lets see started on top, went down to the second round after three years. Then built it back up, and put together 3 great teams together in a row. Just didn't have the luck we did in 96-98 to make that jump to the final four. Then started going back down again. So yeah he has shown that once things started going down, that he would get the program back up again. Also looking at those seeds, we did pretty well still under him. Yet people completely hated him. Which is my point, for why I dont get why people are giving Billy G a pass right now. I mean yeah he needs a few years, but there is no reason this team should miss the tournament, and if we do it falls all on him.

I agree with this. Tubby had a good team and did a great job in 2003, but Bogans being hobbled with an ankle injury to go along with the NCAA selection committee placing the overall # 1 seed in an unfair region where they had to play 2 games in the backyard of Wisconsin and Marquette (what a reward for being the # 1 seed of the four number 1 seeded teams!:irked:) Bad on the committee's part, and unfortunate for Bogans to be injured.

I think if these two incidents don't occur UK and Tubby would have won their 8th national championship, and his 2nd, that year.

I agree with this. Tubby had a good team and did a great job in 2003, but Bogans being hobbled with an ankle injury to go along with the NCAA selection committee placing the overall # 1 seed in an unfair region where they had to play 2 games in the backyard of Wisconsin and Marquette (what a reward for being the # 1 seed of the four number 1 seeded teams!:irked:) Bad on the committee's part, and unfortunate for Bogans to be injured.

I think if these two incidents don't occur UK and Tubby would have won their 8th national championship, and his 2nd, that year.

As good as Marquette was that day, I don't think that Kentucky would have beaten them with a healthy Bogans.
The only difference is in what they inherited. If BCG still performs at this level in two years, I'll be bashing away with everyone else.

 

For the first couple of years with a new coach, the previous coach deserves SOME of the credit/blame for the state of the program. You don't build your own team over night.

 

I think a lot of people forget that Tubby was not fired. Barnhart was sticking with him just like he's sticking with BCG and the same as he did with Brooks.

 

I guess what your saying and sorta agree. I mean when a new coach come in, he is playing with another coaches players, and have to get them to buy into their system. So last year I could see people putting some of the blame on Tubby. However I don't think we should at all for this year. I mean as I have said in previous post that Billy G does have enough of his own guys here now, that he doesn't have to play Tubbys guys much and definitely not start them.Yeah they are freshman and would make some mistakes. However these older guys are not as talented and still make mistakes. Plus we played an easy schedule, these youngs guys could have played a lot more early on. Billy G has decided to keep starting these guys though, so yeah a couple of them are Tubby's guys however he is not the one still starting them. That is Billy G's decision to stick with them.

 

So yeah I will give you year 1 that the previous coach should get some of the credit/blame. However in year 2 not so much. Also if Tubby was here there would have been different recruits brought in, that might have been playing. So we have no clue how this year would have went. This wouldn't be the same team, so Tubby shouldn't get much blame at all for this year.

 

I fully believe Billy G will get things going good, and probably next year. However the blame definitely falls on Billy G if this team misses the tournament, and no one else. Theres no reason for this team to miss it.

As good as Marquette was that day, I don't think that Kentucky would have beaten them with a healthy Bogans.

 

I don't think they would have been that good that day "with" Bogans playing. They would have had to concentrate more focus on him. I think UK would at least have made it to the final four that year. JMO.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.