March 3, 200917 yr Nearly exactly my same thoughts while OTS was there. That has alot to do with it. :deadhorse:
March 3, 200917 yr And? Pitino said he was on the right track and said it would take 4 to 5 years to rebuild this program, if you can believe the God of KY basketball. :lol::lol::ohbrother: Have you ever heard of Adolph Rupp? Thanks for this post though and I mean that, it tells me all that I need to know for any future reference.:walk: Edited March 4, 200917 yr by oldrambler
March 4, 200917 yr Everyone I talk with who is associated with the program believes that the pressure is getting to him. I hope you are right and that next year shows marked improvement. They should with everyone back plus Orton, Pilgrim, etc coming on board. :thumb: Good post. I want to see BCG succeed as well and I think that he can. I agree with this article in that BCG had/has no idea what the U.K. tradition is or means to the people of this state. BCG is not used to everything that he says or does being put under a microscope and he is no where close to realizing the expectations here. Some I know are certainly unrealistic but this was not even close a losing program that he took over this time, rather the polar opposite in the all time winningest program of all time. I think that BCG is and can be a good coach. I support him, for now he is our coach and that imo is what a fan does. Yes, I question alot of his decisions/lack of decisions and whatever but that does not make a basher, just imo normal fan. (I guess that we will have to check 20 or 30 years down the road to see if any U.K. losses then are still OTS's fault, I have no doubt that they possibly could be.:sssh::lol:)
March 4, 200917 yr Funny, how no matter what happened during Tubby's last two years, it was never his fault. "It's not his job to get the kids motivated," "He can't come out and play for the kids." My my my, what a vicious circle. If you go back to those last two years and find threads on it. I bet you will see that most people were not just brushing it off to the side, like some of you all are doing now and saying everything is fine. Just wait till next year. Most of the arguments that took place was when people were saying Tubby was a terrible coach, should only be at a mid major. Never done anything good at UK, blah blah blah. Which were all not true at all.
March 4, 200917 yr Any facts at all to back that up? Look at post 88 and that sums up exactly the way I feel. People are overreacting big time, but that's typical UK fans. People tend to forget he's dealing with a completely different team this year than last. It's much like starting over again. Tubby was here what 9 years? National Championship (2 seed) Elite 8 (3 seed) Second round (5 seed I believe) Sweet 16 (3 seed) Elite 8 (1 seed) 2nd round (1 seed) Elite 8 (2 seed) 2nd round (8 seed) 2nd round (8 seed) So lets see started on top, went down to the second round after three years. Then built it back up, and put together 3 great teams together in a row. Just didn't have the luck we did in 96-98 to make that jump to the final four. Then started going back down again. So yeah he has shown that once things started going down, that he would get the program back up again. Also looking at those seeds, we did pretty well still under him. Yet people completely hated him. Which is my point, for why I dont get why people are giving Billy G a pass right now. I mean yeah he needs a few years, but there is no reason this team should miss the tournament, and if we do it falls all on him.
March 4, 200917 yr Tubby was here what 9 years? So lets see started on top, went down to the second round after three years. Then built it back up, and put together 3 great teams together in a row. Just didn't have the luck we did in 96-98 to make that jump to the final four. Then started going back down again. So yeah he has shown that once things started going down, that he would get the program back up again. Also looking at those seeds, we did pretty well still under him. Yet people completely hated him. Which is my point, for why I dont get why people are giving Billy G a pass right now. I mean yeah he needs a few years, but there is no reason this team should miss the tournament, and if we do it falls all on him. I was a major Tubby supporter as well, but I dont remember him getting blasted before he could bring players in. Oh yeah, he won a national championship with the team he inherited. I admire him for that, but Billy was not dealt the same hand. I have a hard time admitting I supported Tubby, when so many of his supporters want to throw BCG to the flames before he gets started. This is not aimed particularly at you, because you seem to much more reasonable than most. It is aimed at many of the diehard Tubby supporters. I am getting tired of all the hipocrisy of blasting the non-Tubby supporters, while they wont give a coach a reasonable chance. Edited March 4, 200917 yr by JPP added clarification
March 4, 200917 yr Tubby was here what 9 years? National Championship (2 seed) Elite 8 (3 seed) Second round (5 seed I believe) Sweet 16 (3 seed) Elite 8 (1 seed) 2nd round (1 seed) Elite 8 (2 seed) 2nd round (8 seed) 2nd round (8 seed) So lets see started on top, went down to the second round after three years. Then built it back up, and put together 3 great teams together in a row. Just didn't have the luck we did in 96-98 to make that jump to the final four. Then started going back down again. So yeah he has shown that once things started going down, that he would get the program back up again. Also looking at those seeds, we did pretty well still under him. Yet people completely hated him. Which is my point, for why I dont get why people are giving Billy G a pass right now. I mean yeah he needs a few years, but there is no reason this team should miss the tournament, and if we do it falls all on him. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: Great post fc!! I believe that you are going to have to back off though:sssh: I mean, you are clouding this thing with facts :idunno: and that just cannot happen.
March 4, 200917 yr I apologize for clouding the forum with facts also. Take that for whatever you wish.
March 4, 200917 yr I have a hard time admitting I supported Tubby, when so many of his supporters want to throw BCG to the flames before he gets started. This is not aimed particularly at you, because you seem to much more reasonable than most. It is aimed at many of the diehard Tubby supporters. I am getting tired of all the hipocrisy of blasting the non-Tubby supporters, while they wont give a coach a reasonable chance. Here is one Tubby supporter that certainly does not have hard time saying I was and still am a Tubby supporter................. and here is a Tubby suporter that is not throwing BCG under the bus. I am not saying that you are targeting me, just that if you check my post on any of the BCG threads I have questioned him more than once but in no way ready to kick him out. (I still think we could start a contest on how many BCG threads there will be before and after the season is over, they are imo already getting to be :deadhorse: threads, lol) I will also add that imo some were bashing and trashing Tubby from the moment he was announced as coach and before he coached his first game at U.K. and continued it throughout his tenure. Some people are just going to have to accept and deal with the fact that Donovan did not come and Pitino will never come back (jmo on the latter) and believe it or not U.K. played basketball before Rick Pitino ever arrived in Lexington, the Wildcat tradition was here long before he was here and has and will contuinue long after he has gone. Imagine that ......R. Pitino did not invent the game of basketball and did not start the U.K. basketball program! Who knew??? :idunno::lol:
March 4, 200917 yr Here is one Tubby supporter that certainly does not have hard time saying I was and still am a Tubby supporter................. and here is a Tubby suporter that is not throwing BCG under the bus. I am not saying that you are targeting me, just that if you check my post on any of the BCG threads I have questioned him more than once but in no way ready to kick him out. (I still think we could start a contest on how many BCG threads there will be before and after the season is over, they are imo already getting to be :deadhorse: threads, lol) I will also add that imo some were bashing and trashing Tubby from the moment he was announced as coach and before he coached his first game at U.K. and continued it throughout his tenure. Some people are just going to have to accept and deal with the fact that Donovan did not come and Pitino will never come back (jmo on the latter) and believe it or not U.K. played basketball before Rick Pitino ever arrived in Lexington, the Wildcat tradition was here long before he was here and has and will contuinue long after he has gone. Imagine that ......R. Pitino did not invent the game of basketball and did not start the U.K. basketball program! Who knew??? :idunno::lol: :thumb: And on this, we totally agree!
March 4, 200917 yr :laugh::ylsuper: Yeah, he really knows his basketball. Whats your record as a NCAA division 1 or NBA coach?
March 4, 200917 yr :laugh::ylsuper: Yeah, he really knows his basketball. You are confirming my statement (post 107,all I need to know) more and more. Whats your record as a NCAA division 1 or NBA coach? Nailed it!! That's funny right there, I don't care who you are...LOL. Winner, Winner.......Chicken Dinner!!!! :thumb: And on this, we totally agree! :thumb:
March 4, 200917 yr :laugh::ylsuper: Yeah, he really knows his basketball.Let's see ... Issel scored over 2,000 points in college and 27,000-plus points in the ABA and NBA, and he coached in the NBA. I would say that yes, he does ...
March 4, 200917 yr Whats your record as a NCAA division 1 or NBA coach? Percentage wise, it's better than Dan Issels.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.