Newport Central Catholic 23 Holy Cross 7

bredsmom

Great question. Gutty performance by NewCath w/ 4 starters out. HC has some athletes. HC confused me in the 4th when they were down by 16 and continued to run the ball. They were gaining yardage, but the clock kept running, and they were getting out of the huddle too slow. Good hard hitting game.

Great question. Gutty performance by NewCath w/ 4 starters out. HC has some athletes. HC confused me in the 4th when they were down by 16 and continued to run the ball. They were gaining yardage, but the clock kept running, and they were getting out of the huddle too slow. Good hard hitting game.

This why I keep beating that dead horse. The play calling.

I say I have to agree, although HC's playcalling was much better today than usual. However, the one touchdown drive they had consisted of about 4 or 5 passes. The best calls of the day were the two HB passes with Roenker. One was for a TD and the other should have been, but a missed (blatant) pass interference call prevented that one. What is up with the WR screen pass that they ran so much today, where there is two receivers which means one blocker for two corners and most of the time a safety.

I say I have to agree, although HC's playcalling was much better today than usual. However, the one touchdown drive they had consisted of about 4 or 5 passes. The best calls of the day were the two HB passes with Roenker. One was for a TD and the other should have been, but a missed (blatant) pass interference call prevented that one. What is up with the WR screen pass that they ran so much today, where there is two receivers which means one blocker for two corners and most of the time a safety.

You see that WR screen a lot. It seems to work if the free DB comes inside, misses, and the other WR seals.

How did Markel look throwing the ball today?

You see that WR screen a lot. It seems to work if the free DB comes inside, misses, and the other WR seals.

How did Markel look throwing the ball today?

Yeah, but you don't see it from HC too often. Markel looked decent... He had a few bad throws where he missed a receiver (two that I can recall) but receivers killed him with dropped passes today. There should have been at least two balls caught for touchdowns. Interestingly enough, Ziegler was hardly thrown to at all today.