Dick Vitale has CATS at #24

GO CATS

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vitale IS college basketball.

Based on what? A few colorful comments? He coached a nobody school and had a pathetic NBA record and was fired 12 games into a season.

He watched as Tubby destroyed the program left to him by Rick Pitino and then chastised UK fans and said we should build statues to Tubby. I'm sorry but 25 losses in 2 years is not up to UK standards. Tubby needed to go for the best of UK and for the best of Tubby Smith. Winning a ton of games is great but hanging banners is what it's all about and when you are the highest paid college coach in America, fans will have lofty expectations and rightfully so.

Based on what? A few colorful comments? He coached a nobody school and had a pathetic NBA record and was fired 12 games into a season.

He watched as Tubby destroyed the program left to him by Rick Pitino and then chastised UK fans and said we should build statues to Tubby. I'm sorry but 25 losses in 2 years is not up to UK standards. Tubby needed to go for the best of UK and for the best of Tubby Smith. Winning a ton of games is great but hanging banners is what it's all about and when you are the highest paid college coach in America, fans will have lofty expectations and rightfully so.

What does his NBA record have anything to do with college basketball? Vitale loves the kids, and has a passion for the game. That's what college basketball is about...passion. Tubby Smith is one of the most respected coaches in the entire nation. Ask anyone. UK fans got used to the success that Pitino had and honestly a run like that will probably never be repeated again. The University of Kentucky was lucky to have a person as classy as Tubby Smith roaming the sideline's for ten years going about things the right way.

Go to a game where Mr. Vitale is going to be the announcer this season and keep an eye on him. You'll see that he is the biggest celebrity in the arena. There is a reason for that. He has more passion for the game of college basketball than many of the players have.

He has diarrhea of the mouth and rarely adds anything insightful to the game. "Are you serious? Are you serious Mr. Nessla!? You betta believe it! He's up up and away, the elevator man!"

I have to disagree. He knows college basketball inside out and his exciteable rants add alot to the atmosphere of the games.

A few things on Vitale. I agree with some of the comments that he is a celebrity of college basketball. Nationwide, to a casual fan, everyone knows Vitale which only helps the sport... despite his annoyance often times.

The knocking on UK fans is to be expected. He is a former coach and part of the coaching fraternity. They protect their own virtually every time.

Vitale may be somewhat entertaining to the uneducated basketball novice but to someone with any higher hoops IQ, he adds nothing. Jay Bilas and Clark Kellog on the other hand do a great job of calling games and giving commentary. You can have Vitale if that is what you want in an announcer.

Vitale may be somewhat entertaining to the uneducated basketball novice but to someone with any higher hoops IQ, he adds nothing. Jay Bilas and Clark Kellog on the other hand do a great job of calling games and giving commentary. You can have Vitale if that is what you want in an announcer.

You complain that Vitale is an ACC homer and doesn't like UK then you go and say you like Bilas? That just doesn't make sense. I change the channel every time Jay Bilas begins to talk.

Tubby Smith is one of the most respected coaches in the entire nation. Ask anyone. UK fans got used to the success that Pitino had and honestly a run like that will probably never be repeated again. The University of Kentucky was lucky to have a person as classy as Tubby Smith roaming the sideline's for ten years going about things the right way.

When you are the highest paid coach, wins are expected. Classy and the right way are what is expected as well but it's all about the win and hanging banners.

Those 25 losses in his last 2 years at UK must have been the "right way" in his recruiting efforts.

When you are the highest paid coach, wins are expected. Classy and the right way are what is expected as well but it's all about the win and hanging banners.

Those 25 losses in his last 2 years at UK must have been the "right way" in his recruiting efforts.

How quickly can you forget that he produced what was once considered the best class in the nation not so long ago? I'm not sure what you consider winning but a national championship, 26 wins a year, 5 SEC title's and 3 elite eights is pretty impressive if you ask me. Once again, Kentucky fans have unrealistic mind sets and expect a championship ever year. That will never happen.