Dick Vitale has CATS at #24

GO CATS

Just so you know, I am a UK fan so this has nothing to do with not liking Kentucky of the fans of the University of Kentucky. Beleive me there are people out there who expect a championship every year whether you chose to admit it or not. You can't say that Patterson wouldn't have come to UK to play for Tubby. That's not even a arguement because you have no idea what he would have done. Neither do I. Neither does anyone. 263-83 is pretty impressive if you ask me. For the record, how many championships did Pitino have at UK? If UK has such tradition then anything except a national championship should be a failure.

People who expect a championship yearly are delusional and not fans but fanatics. Patterson himself was quoted last year as saying he did not sign with Tubby Smith.(paraphrasing) Didn't say he wouldn't but he did say that he didn't. Pitino recruited 2 titles at UK and coached 1. He also coached in two other final fours which is something Tubby can not claim. The only player to come to UK under OTS and win a title is Saul. Also, 17 of 37 players that Tubby recruited left the program early and did NOT enter the NBA. That is an alarming stat if you ask me. Tubby had 4 players he recruited drafted into the NBA and one of them had a year under BCG but credit goes to OTS for not allowing him to leave his freshman year. Bottom line is that OTS was alazy recruiter and it eventually caught up with him. Coaching doesn't trump talent.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who expect a championship yearly are delusional and not fans but fanatics. Patterson himself was quoted last year as saying he did not sign with Tubby Smith.(paraphrasing) Didn't say he wouldn't but he did say that he didn't. Pitino recruited 2 titles at UK and coached 1. He also coached in two other final fours which is something Tubby can not claim. The only player to come to UK under OTS and win a title is Saul. Also, 17 of 37 players that Tubby recruited left the program early and did NOT enter the NBA. That is an alarming stat if you ask me. Tubby had 4 players he recruited drafted into the NBA and one of them had a year under BCG but credit goes to OTS for not allowing him to leave his freshman year. Bottom line is that OTS was alazy recruiter and it eventually caught up with him. Coaching doesn't trump talent.

You're not even making an argument. Patterson obviously signed after BCG took over but he may have signed for Tubby as well so that's not even an argument. I don't want to hear that Tubby's title was Pitino's team because that's weak as well. Tubby had to coach the team to the title. His career record doesn't lie, he's one of the best coaches around. Simple as that. He could have been at UK as long as he wanted, he chose to leave on his own.

Tubby would have been at UK only if he agreed to the guidelines Mitch was laying in front of him. Also, Mr. Smith was telling UK fans he was going to remain at UK while all the time he was negotiating a deal with the Gophers. Tubby won a lot of games but never the big game. And yes, Rick gets at least 1/2 the credit for the 98 title for assembling the team....and I can't stand Rick anymore.

Tubby would have been at UK only if he agreed to the guidelines Mitch was laying in front of him. Also, Mr. Smith was telling UK fans he was going to remain at UK while all the time he was negotiating a deal with the Gophers. Tubby won a lot of games but never the big game. And yes, Rick gets at least 1/2 the credit for the 98 title for assembling the team....and I can't stand Rick anymore.

Was Pitino a part of the 1998 Championship team? No, that's what I thought. I don't blame Tubby for leaving. UK fans simply put to much pressure on coaches to win ever year. He'll turn Minnesota into a contender for the Big 10 every single year within 2-3 years. That's something they could never say before he got there. His record speaks for his self. He may not fit at a program where they expect a national title every season, but he's one of the best x's and o's coaches in the game.

What does his NBA record have anything to do with college basketball? Vitale loves the kids, and has a passion for the game. That's what college basketball is about...passion. Tubby Smith is one of the most respected coaches in the entire nation. Ask anyone. UK fans got used to the success that Pitino had and honestly a run like that will probably never be repeated again. The University of Kentucky was lucky to have a person as classy as Tubby Smith roaming the sideline's for ten years going about things the right way.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was Pitino a part of the 1998 Championship team? No, that's what I thought. I don't blame Tubby for leaving. UK fans simply put to much pressure on coaches to win ever year.

If the fact that he recruited every player with the exception of Saul doesn't make him part of the team...........Yes...he was part of that team.

UK fans put too much pressure on the coach making the most money of all college basketball coaches in America. Aren't they supposed to win? Aren't you supposed to produce at the highest level if you make the highest salary? Do you get raises at work for failures or successes? Screw up at work a bunch and then go ask for a raise and see what happens.

Tubby took a paycut to go to Minnesota and went to a school with low expectations. Then he tries to hire the guy that was coach that got UM put on probation. Smart move there!!!

If the fact that he recruited every player with the exception of Saul doesn't make him part of the team...........Yes...he was part of that team.

UK fans put too much pressure on the coach making the most money of all college basketball coaches in America. Aren't they supposed to win? Aren't you supposed to produce at the highest level if you make the highest salary? Do you get raises at work for failures or successes? Screw up at work a bunch and then go ask for a raise and see what happens.

Tubby took a paycut to go to Minnesota and went to a school with low expectations. Then he tries to hire the guy that was coach that got UM put on probation. Smart move there!!!

You are obviously mistaken, Pitino had no part in the 1998 Championship team. I believe he was in Boston at the time. I'm not sure but a .770ish winning % isn't winning is it?

Now you know that is distorted, the measuring stick is final four appearances.. Come on..

Why does that have to be the measuring stick? Heck, why not championships? It's distorted to expect a final four every season. 26 wins per season..I think just about every program out there would take that.

Why does that have to be the measuring stick? Heck, why not championships? It's distorted to expect a final four every season. 26 wins per season..I think just about every program out there would take that.

UK fans were sick of not producing come tournament time.. That' s all I'm saying..