Judge not...

I received the following in an email earlier today...

I was shocked, confused, bewildered

As I entered Heaven's door

Not by the beauty of it all,

Nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven

Who made me sputter and gasp--

The thieves, the liars, the sinners ,

The alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade

Who swiped my lunch money twice.

Next to him was my old neighbor

Who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought

Was rotting away in hell,

Was sitting pretty on cloud nine,

Looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, 'What's the deal?

I would love to hear Your take.

How'd all these sinners get up here?

God must've made a mistake.

'And why's everyone so quiet,

So somber - give me a clue.'

'Hush, child,' He said, 'they're all in shock.

No one thought they'd be seeing you.'

JUDGE NOT...

Remember...Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more

than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Food for thought...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each one made a confession of faith and accepted Jesus as their savior before death, that is how I understand what it takes to get there. My understanding that even the most evil person could get to heaven at the last minute, if their confession of faith was true and accepted by God. Could someone please comment on this if it correct or not.

Each one made a confession of faith and accepted Jesus as their savior before death, that is how I understand what it takes to get there. My understanding that even the most evil person could get to heaven at the last minute, if their confession of faith was true and accepted by God. Could someone please comment on this if it correct or not.

I would like scripture to support this please.

The reason I am asking is because the book of Acts mentions many conversions and each conversion mentioned involves baptism. Some of the cases also mention hearing the word, belief in Jesus, confession of that belief, and repentence (turning from your sins).

Edited by Trojans
spelling

I would like scripture to support this please.

Luke 23:38-43

38There was a written notice above him, which read:|sc THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]" 43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

You are correct.

Proverbs 28:13

13 The one who covers his transgressions will not prosper,

but whoever confesses them and forsakes them will find mercy.

Luke 23:39-43

And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Acts 2:21

After Peter had finished his sermon in Acts 2 many in his audience were cut to the heart and said to Peter "Men and Peter what shall we do?" Peter's response in Acts 2:38 was "Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ FOR the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." According to Peter the baptism was for the remission of sins.

Jesus said in Matthew 7:22-23 "Many will say to me in that day Lord Lord have we not prophesied IN YOUR NAME cast out demons IN YOUR NAME and done many wonders IN YOUR NAME? And then I will declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you practice lawlessness."

I am not discounting Acts 2:21 but the audience of people who had heard Peter speak that verse still asked him what was required to be saved. As we can see in Matthew 7 the Lord requires more than just acknowledging him. Calling on his name requires following his commandments. James tells us even the demons believe in him. Demons even recognized Jesus when he was on earth and asked to be cast into swine. They were not saved.

I promise I am not trying to argue, or win an arguement. I am just concerned for people who have not yet obeyed the gospel. I have a desire for all men and women to be converted.

Edited by Trojans
spelling

The thief on the cross happended before Christ's resurrection and was under the Old Covenant. There is no record of the necessety (sp) of baptism before the New Covenant. But after Christ arose baptism was then preached so that people could take on Christ through his death, burial and resurrection. We go down into water, bury our sins, and raise to walk in newness of life.

Edited by Trojans
spelling

The thief on the cross happended before Christ's resurrection and was under the Old Covenant. There is no record of the necessety (sp) of baptism before the New Covenant. But after Christ arose baptism was then preached so that people could take on Christ through his death, burial and resurrection. We go down into water, bury our sins, and raise to walk in newness of life.

As my grandmother would say that's picking nat poop from the pepper pile. Your arguing semantics that really have no bearing. While in the Church, I was always taught that Baptism was an outward show of an inward transformation. While it is important in the Christian faith to show that transformation through the outward action of Baptism, I do not think it makes or breaks one's salvation through Christ; if such a salvation exists.

After Peter had finished his sermon in Acts 2 many in his audience were cut to the heart and said to Peter "Men and Peter what shall we do?" Peter's response in Acts 2:38 was "Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ FOR the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." According to Peter the baptism was for the remission of sins.

Jesus said in Matthew 7:22-23 "Many will say to me in that day Lord Lord have we not prophesied IN YOUR NAME cast out demons IN YOUR NAME and done many wonders IN YOUR NAME? And then I will declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you practice lawlessness."

I am not discounting Acts 2:21 but the audience of people who had heard Peter speak that verse still asked him what was required to be saved. As we can see in Matthew 7 the Lord requires more than just acknowledging him. Calling on his name requires following his commandments. James tells us even the demons believe in him. Demons even recognized Jesus when he was on earth and asked to be cast into swine. They were not saved.

I promise I am not trying to argue, or win an arguement. I am just concerned for people who have not yet obeyed the gospel. I have a desire for all men and women to be converted.

Matthew 25 says nothing about believing or being baptized. It is how you "treat the least of these".

Matthew 25 says nothing about believing or being baptized. It is how you "treat the least of these".

So, we are to discount all the Scriptures on baptizing and believing for this one Scripture?

Here is a novel concept, how about looking at ALL the Scriptures and say that Christ expects us to do what is said in Matthew 25 and also expects us to be baptized and believe in Him and His sacrifice.

Why can we not look at the Scriptures in totality rather than pick and choose the Scriptures that tickles our ears?

Addressing Trojans' point: Christ himself was baptised prior to his own resurrection to show us the example.

On another note: To me this is another one of those "Plank v/s Speck" issues. Satan has polluted this issue so that Christians fight with each other - bickering and hindering the gospel from spreading because of the negative, judgemental, I know I'm right attitudes.