High School Pitching Proposal

I've mentioned this before and wanted to give it's own thread, for discussion. Currently our KHSAA pitching rules, are as follows:

Week innings Remaining - Innings remaining in seven day period (maximum 15 innings in any seven day period)

Days Rest Required - Mandatory rest required for this appearance

3-5 innings = 1 day rest starting following day

6 innings = 2 days rest starting following day

7-9 innings = 3 days rest starting following day

Proposal: Maximum Pitch Count Limitation

105 Pitches - 7 innings

115 Pitches - 8 innings

120 Pitches - 9 innings

Both teams keep Pitch counts, for each pitcher. After completion of each Inning, numbers are checked with each book and Official Scorer (if available). Agree on number and document on form. This can be done, during 8 warm-ups and 1 minute.

Once the maximum number of Pitches are reached, a change must be made. If a Pitcher has reached his limit, he may finish pitching to the batter, until a result is obtained.

At the conclusion of each game, the Chief Umpire signs the form, along with both Head Coaches for their pitchers. This form is then presented at the next scheduled game and verifies, whom is eligible/not eligible to Pitch.

Thoughts/comments and suggestions....

Why the distinction of how many pitches you can have in 7, 8, or 9 innings and not just stipulate the maximum number of pitches in a day regardless of innings? The difference between the number of pitches allowed in 8 innings (115) or 9 innings (120) seems kind of pointless since there aren't many 5-pitch innings.

I definitely agree with allowing the pitcher to finish a batter if he hits his pitch limit in the middle of the count.

Also, what rest periods are you suggesting in the new proposal?

Why the distinction of how many pitches you can have in 7, 8, or 9 innings and not just stipulate the maximum number of pitches in a day regardless of innings? The difference between the number of pitches allowed in 8 innings (115) or 9 innings (120) seems kind of pointless since there aren't many 5-pitch innings.

I definitely agree with allowing the pitcher to finish a batter if he hits his pitch limit in the middle of the count.

Also, what rest periods are you suggesting in the new proposal?

I'm not a fan, of a HS pitcher throwing 9 innings in one day. Currently KHSAA will allow and since they do, thus the innings. If we put a limit of 7 innings and then drastically cut down the 8th and 9th, it might deter a Coach, from keeping a pitcher out there to throw that many.

The only thing I would change, is if you pitch 7 keep at 3-5 but if you throw 8-9, make it 4 days of rest.

But theoritically a pitcher could throw 105 pitches in 5 innings (probably happens a lot actually) and come back after one day's rest? I guess I don't see how you can use a pitch count to limit the number of pitches in a game, but then base the rest period on number of innings pitched. Pitch counts are definitely in vogue these days and a better way to control overuse/abuse of a pitcher, but I would think to stay consistent you should also revisit the rest period situation.

I completely agree with the pitch count rule, it is way to long in coming in my opinion. I also think that it will be hard to govern. What if there is a difference in pitch count between the teams that are playing, home team has 12 for their pitcher this inning,visiting team has 14 pitches this inning for the same opposing pitcher, who's count do you use? With two umpires the home team should provide a clicker counter for the base umpire to use and keep count for both teams. I love the idea of a pitch count, but it will be problematic to enforce. How do the days of rest go with this. You don't accomplish much if you don't adjust days of rest.If a player throws 105 pitches in five innings he can come back with two days rest. If he throws 100 pitches in 7 innings he must have three days rest. This is the part I don't understand.

I completely agree with the pitch count rule, it is way to long in coming in my opinion. I also think that it will be hard to govern. What if there is a difference in pitch count between the teams that are playing, home team has 12 for their pitcher this inning,visiting team has 14 pitches this inning for the same opposing pitcher, who's count do you use? With two umpires the home team should provide a clicker counter for the base umpire to use and keep count for both teams. I love the idea of a pitch count, but it will be problematic to enforce. How do the days of rest go with this. You don't accomplish much if you don't adjust days of rest.If a player throws 105 pitches in five innings he can come back with two days rest. If he throws 100 pitches in 7 innings he must have three days rest. This is the part I don't understand.

My point exactly (but you stated it better). Not sure I'd put pitch count responsiblities on the umpires, however. I think each team scorekeeper meets after each inning and if they differ, come to some sort of gentleman's agreement, perhaps "officiated" by the home plate umpire.

My point exactly (but you stated it better). Not sure I'd put pitch count responsiblities on the umpires, however. I think each team scorekeeper meets after each inning and if they differ, come to some sort of gentleman's agreement, perhaps "officiated" by the home plate umpire.

LL has some experience in this field (starting last year) and it appears to be working well. Both sides keep a clicker and discrepancies are settled by the official scorer (which might have a conflict of interest in regular season HS baseball since the home team IS the official scorer). You would have to bring the umpire(s) into it in some way during the regular season since they would most likely be the only non partisan authority figures there in case of differences in the two counts. And, the only way to do that would be as stated above, have the base umpire keep count along with the scorers. But, who would keep the database of the pitch counts for the teams of the region/district? The honor system would have to creep in here somewhere...wouldn't it?

Looks good to me Strike. I know many pitchers who have thrown way more than the 120 in 7 innings. A pitch count is a better track than innings thrown. For instance, I threw 79 pitches in a 7 inning game (24 of those being in the bottom of the 7th). But, I would be infavor for a pitch count rather than inngings thrown.

As far as rest goes:

0-40 No rest

41-99 1 day rest

100-119 2 day rest

120+ 3 day rest

Just suggestion anyone think it sounds good or have any other ideas?

Should there be a cut-off for pitch count... 130? 150?

:eek::eek::eek:

As far as rest goes:

0-40 No rest

41-99 1 day rest

100-119 2 day rest

120+ 3 day rest

Just suggestion anyone think it sounds good or have any other ideas?

Should there be a cut-off for pitch count... 130? 150?

99 pitches with only a day's rest seems to little high to me, personally. That second category might look a little better at 41-70/75 pitches. And there should definitely be a max cutoff - maybe around 115 pitches. Heck, you don't see MLB pitchers throw 120 pitches very often.

To be honest though, I don't think a HS pitcher should be above the 120 mark. I was just putting that out there to see if anyone else had an idea. How would you seperate it?

I'd prefer increments of 30, or something like that.

0-30= 0 Days

31-60= 1 Day

61-90= 2 Days

90+= 3 Days

105+ or 7-9 Innings in a day= 4 Days

I'd have to really sit down and think about it but I'd like a pitches or innings split.

Maybe something like this:

0-30 or 2 innings = 0

31-60 or 3-4 innings = 1 Day

61-90 or 5-6 innings = 2 Days

91-105 or 7 innings = 3 Days

105+ OR 8+ innings = 4 Days

Haven't put a ton of thought into it but something similar. Don't think it would be too hard to track. I guess it may penalize a kid who doesn't throw a lot of pitches but eats up innings.

As for the bolded, it will NOT hurt the kid but may cost his team...

I'd prefer increments of 30, or something like that.

0-30= 0 Days

31-60= 1 Day

61-90= 2 Days

90+= 3 Days

105+ or 7-9 Innings in a day= 4 Days

I'd have to really sit down and think about it but I'd like a pitches or innings split.

Maybe something like this:

0-30 or 2 innings = 0

31-60 or 3-4 innings = 1 Day

61-90 or 5-6 innings = 2 Days

91-105 or 7 innings = 3 Days

105+ OR 8+ innings = 4 Days

Haven't put a ton of thought into it but something similar. Don't think it would be too hard to track. I guess it may penalize a kid who doesn't throw a lot of pitches but eats up innings.

As for the bolded, it will NOT hurt the kid but may cost his team...

Not sure why you would use both pitch count AND innings pitched. If the concern is the protection of the kid's arm, then pitches thrown is the key stat to be looking at. But your breakdown of pitches thrown/day rest looks pretty solid to me.